Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
afterry
afterry began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Have Russian .txt NEED to see Cyrillic

Hi, I've downloaded from Jetbook.net their Russian (Cyrillic) .txt files.

In Calibre all the fonts appear as "?" in the view section. I've tried converting, but still the same in .epub.

I haven't received my jetbook yet, so I'm just preparing for it's arrival. This is all too new to me. But, I have read and heard so much about the magic of Calibre -- I had to try. ( I love the program by the way).

For all help, and links, and advise... a big
afterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
The book you downloaded is likely in CP 1251, so you need to convert it to UTF-8 first. The simplest way is to open the txt file using Internet Explorer, select all, copy & paste into Notepad, then in Save As dialog choose UTF-8 encoding.

Once you've done that add the book to Calibre and now it'll display properly after conversion.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In the "look & Feel" conversion option section set the input encoding to cp1251.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
afterry

Thanks, I'll try both and report back.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
afterry

Hi guys,
user_none: Your way worked, way too easily. When I encode the "look&Feel" conversion option input to cp1251 and then convert to epub it's flawless. However, I also tried converting txt to txt with input encoding set to cp1251 and that didn't work. For some reason the txt files are all for lack of a better term "strange"/"wrong".

I even tried dmapr's UTF-8 idea - and couldn't get that to work at all. I imagine that it has something to do with the txt file not appearing correctly on my computer... but then, how come the conversion using input encoding cp1251 worked at all?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterry View Post
Hi guys,
user_none: Your way worked, way too easily. When I encode the "look&Feel" conversion option input to cp1251 and then convert to epub it's flawless. However, I also tried converting txt to txt with input encoding set to cp1251 and that didn't work. For some reason the txt files are all for lack of a better term "strange"/"wrong".

I even tried dmapr's UTF-8 idea - and couldn't get that to work at all. I imagine that it has something to do with the txt file not appearing correctly on my computer... but then, how come the conversion using input encoding cp1251 worked at all?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Both our suggestions were aimed at converting the file from cp1251 to UTF-8. The difference is that when Calibre does it the TXT file remains in cp1251 and only EPUB gets converted to UTF-8. When you do it my way the TXT file gets converted as well. My IE automatically figures out the encoding in the text file, but you can select one explicitly by right-clicking and selecting Cyrillic (Windows) from the encoding menu. Once the text file is saved as Unicode it will be displayed correctly and can be edited in Notepad, which is why I recommended it — should you need to make some changes, fix typos, etc. it'll be easier to do on the text file and just re-run the conversion. If you keep the file in cp1251 Notepad will fail to display it properly.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
afterry

Thank you dmapr: that really clears it up for me. AND, especially the utilization of your approach! I'll play with IE and see what I can make happen.

P.S. I got the Jetbook this afternoon - charged it and am having a great time with it. The .txt files from Jetbook.net open in Russian without a problem (then again they better!) These are the same files I've had trouble with on my computer. But, I thiink dmapr just gave me a way through this.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterry View Post
Thank you dmapr: that really clears it up for me. AND, especially the utilization of your approach! I'll play with IE and see what I can make happen.

P.S. I got the Jetbook this afternoon - charged it and am having a great time with it. The .txt files from Jetbook.net open in Russian without a problem (then again they better!) These are the same files I've had trouble with on my computer. But, I thiink dmapr just gave me a way through this.

Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to view them on your computer as well.