Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
edercito
edercito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 Wifi
Advice on buying a new Ereader

Hi all,
I have been a leech in these forums for over a year now. I have a Kindle 1, but I think it's time to get a new reader. I'd like to get one before Christmas but I can be patient if need be.

One of the things I'm looking for is a reader that can download content wirelessly, particularly newspapers. I'm not too impressed by the Kindle 2, so I'm looking at the Nook and the Daily Edition. I admit this is an odd comparison given price difference and the fact that neither of these devices is out yet. Nevertheless, here it goes:

To me the main difference between these two readers is the bigger and touch sensitive screen on the Sony Daily Edition. I don't care too much about content, as I mostly read public domain works. And while the bigger screen might make reading PDF's a less painful experience, I don't think ereaders are quite there yet, so I'll keep wasting paper in the meantime when I read my beloved physics papers.

My question to current Sony Touch Edition owners is if you had two devices X and Y with roughly the same specs except for the two main differences listed above, would this be worth a 50 % price difference? Any comments would be highly appreciated.
Eder
edercito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what is your price limit?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
edercito

Hmm, probably the maximum I'd be willing to pay for an e-reader is $400.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Reader PRS-900 (Daily Edition)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Your best option is probably the iRex DR800SG. Like your other options, it isn't out yet but its 8.1" screen is going to be better for "original layout" newspapers than the others and it has some content lined up. See IRex’s Hamilton Details Plans For Publishers; NewspaperDirect, News Stand, Storefronts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i'd wait until after January 7th just to see the price of the Que.....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i'd wait until after January 7th just to see the price of the Que.....
This. I'm really excited about the Que.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
edercito

I had written off the DR800sg thinking that it was $449 at BestBuy, but if the price is $399 I'll check it out when it's released. I have read about the Que; unfortunately I'm not as excited as they usually use the phrase "business user" when they describe the device. I fear that means a "business" price as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well, if the Que has a bigger and unbreakable screen, WiFi and better functionality it would definitely be worth more than the DRG 800.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
My hunch is that that Que is gonna be pretty sluggish like most of the other choices out there too. The kind of device that will make people say "wow this would be awesome, if only it were good".

I'll hold off on actual judgment until the release, but I'm not too optimistic about it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by edercito View Post
I had written off the DR800sg thinking that it was $449 at BestBuy, but if the price is $399 I'll check it out when it's released. I have read about the Que; unfortunately I'm not as excited as they usually use the phrase "business user" when they describe the device. I fear that means a "business" price as well.
But don't forget devices targeted for business users almost always also have a business grade build quality as opposed to consumer grade device build quality. Better materials & QC cost extra and are worth every penny. Not sure any reader device is worth $400 but, who knows anymore.

As an example look at HP's Compaq business lines of laptops and other devices, the Latitude line from Dell, and I forget if Lenovo has a business line. The consumer grade devices from the same company are cheaply built. One reason is few, I forget the number but it was at least 80%, consumer grade devices ever leave the house. I have to wonder if the same holds true for consumer build readers. Though I am not sure the market has really diverged just yet...but, it will eventually.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
My hunch is that that Que is gonna be pretty sluggish like most of the other choices out there too. The kind of device that will make people say "wow this would be awesome, if only it were good".

I'll hold off on actual judgment until the release, but I'm not too optimistic about it.
Why would you think it'll be sluggish?
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
Why would you think it'll be sluggish?
Everything shown from Plastic Logic thus far (working pre-B&N demos) has been very slow in use. Also, they're still EPD and will have to play within those limitations. There aren't any EPD readers that aren't slow.

Again, I'm reserving judgment for when there are actual products out there to be seen, but there's no reason to assume that the Que will have swift performance when Plastic Logic's technology has never been shown that way. Sure sure, they always say "well it's not been optimized yet", but it's highly unlikely that it'll be completely different.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The other unknown factor with the Que is that it runs Windows CE rather than Linux. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is an unknown, as far as performance is concerned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Everything shown from Plastic Logic thus far (working pre-B&N demos) has been very slow in use.
The demos were presumably not using the (up to) 800 MHz Marvell ARMADA 166E which will be used in the shipping device. Marvell says that EInk screen refreshes will be faster, and the enTourage eDGe will be using this processor in a netbook/reader combo device (so it has to be reasonably capable).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote