Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
MaxBraun
MaxBraun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Paperwhite 3G - Internet connection?

Hi, everyone! I am about to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite 3G, yet I still have some questions. Attention, I am an e-book newbie, so please bear with me!

1) Does the 3G allow access to the internet from everywhere, say Bulgaria?

2) Once I have purchased the 3G model, am I supposed to pay for using the 3G, or is it free all the time?

3) Could I still browse Facebook and lauch Skype with the e-reader? Are there any limitations to the internet pages I have access to with the Kindle?

4) Do the X-ray and dictionary function of the Kindle need an internet connection?

Thanks in advance!
MaxBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No Skype for that you need Fire
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The Paperwhite isn't an internet access device. It can connect to Amazon or Wikipedia via 3G. You only need an Amazon account do do that. As for using it in Bulgaria I have no idea.

It also has Wifi and an internet browser so if you're near Wifi you can browse the internet but it's primitive and not something you'll want to browse with except in emergencies. It can't browse the internet with 3G. Only with Wifi. 3G is for connecting to Amazon or Wikipedia.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
The dictionary function does not require Internet; the Wikipedia & translation features do require that you have a connection. As others have mentioned, 3G is not for web surfing, and the sites you can visit via 3G are very limited. The browser is minimally useful and not suited to spending any significant time on the web.

Amazon should be able to tell you which countries have 3G access available to the Paperwhite.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
MaxBraun
MaxBraun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, everyone. The way I see it, it would be a lot more practical if I buy the cheaper WiFi-only model, seeing the limited amount of pages I could actually have access to with the 3G.
MaxBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Hey Max, more expensive upfront, but free 3G after that. Indeed, only Amazon and WikiP possible to use on 3G. If you buy in Europe it'll work anywhere in Europe - but there are maps of coverage on the page selling them on Amazon, so check to be sure.
Enjoy the device when you get it!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe the translation works over 3G in addition to the Kindle store and any connection to Wikipedia.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote