Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
New iPhone (5) Reviews Thread

Quote:
nearly every feature has been upgraded, with a focus on what counts: screen, sound, camera, speed.
Quote:
If you have an iPhone 4S, getting an iPhone 5 would mean breaking your two-year carrier contract and paying a painful penalty; maybe not worth it for the 5’s collection of nips and tucks. But if you’ve had the discipline to sit out a couple of iPhone generations — wow, are you in for a treat.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/te...l?pagewanted=1
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The iPhone 5′s battery lasted between 9 and 12 hours every day, in mixed use. For most people, the phone would last the day without recharging.
Quote:
If you own an iPhone 4S and especially if your carrier won’t let you upgrade yet at the $199 price, you may be content with just upgrading to the new software, which gives you a lot. But you’ll be stuck with the smaller screen, bulkier size and pokier cellular speed. If you own an older model iPhone, or are switching from another phone, however, the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.

Bottom Line

Apple has taken an already great product and made it better, overall. Consumers who prefer huge screens or certain marginal features have plenty of other choices, but the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.
http://allthingsd.com/20120918/the-i...he-big-screen/
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
iPhone 5 review: Finally, the iPhone we've always wanted
Quote:
Is it as futuristic or as exciting as the iPhone 4 or the original iPhone? No. Does this change the smartphone game? No. Other smartphones beat it on features here and there: if you want a larger screen, go with a Samsung Galaxy S3. If you want better battery life, go with a Droid Razr Maxx.

But, if you want a great, all-around, beautifully engineered smartphone that covers all bases, here it is. Just like the MacBook is to the world of laptops, the new iPhone is one of the top three, if not the best-designed, smartphone around. It's better in all the important ways.
http://www.cnet.com/iphone-5/
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
[QUOTE=ScotiaBurrell;2229035]http://allthingsd.com/20120918/the-i...he-big-screen/[

If you own an iPhone 4S and especially if your carrier won’t let you upgrade yet at the $199 price, you may be content with just upgrading to the new software, which gives you a lot. But you’ll be stuck with the smaller screen, bulkier size and pokier cellular speed. If you own an older model iPhone, or are switching from another phone, however, the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice./QUOTE]

Pokier cellular speed?

I have the 4S running on a 3G network and have not once found it slow. My emaill is effectively instant, and I don't sit there with a stopwatch timing the arrival of a photo someone sends me. It is sent, it arrives, and when I get around to it - I look at it. The 4G network is nowhere as ubiquitous as the 3G, so the system will drop back to 3G for much of the time. The current apps have to be re-developed to take advantage of the larger screen - that will take time.

I have yet to see one reason for me to upgrade - and I don't need to finish a contract to do so. I'll stick with my 4S, I have become quite fond of it.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I hope I haven't contributed to the demise of other iPhone 5 threads and have had no warnings, but still I am going to tread very carefully here.

Who is buying the iPhone 5? Is it the old customers or is it a new group that hasn't had a iPhone before. I ask because it is a radical shift from the old standard that has been present in all the other "fantastic" magical machines with their perfectly sized ergonomic 3.5" screens.

Are the people buying the iPhone 5, buying it to gain the new larger screen, or is that something they are just putting up with in order to get these other incremental changes that have been detailed above.

True the width is the same (I think) so the average thumb can sweep across the screen at least in one direction, but the height could create a demand for thumb gymnastics, reaching all the way to the top.

How is that working out. Any users? Any reports.

My lady friend is waiting to see if they put the larger screens in new iPods. Is that going to happen?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
My lady friend is waiting to see if they put the larger screens in new iPods. Is that going to happen?
The new iPods will have the same 4" screens as the new iPhones. Price: $299 for 32gb and $399 for 64gb.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I hope I haven't contributed to the demise of other iPhone 5 threads and have had no warnings, but still I am going to tread very carefully here.

Who is buying the iPhone 5? Is it the old customers or is it a new group that hasn't had a iPhone before. I ask because it is a radical shift from the old standard that has been present in all the other "fantastic" magical machines with their perfectly sized ergonomic 3.5" screens.

Are the people buying the iPhone 5, buying it to gain the new larger screen, or is that something they are just putting up with in order to get these other incremental changes that have been detailed above.
My guess is that there are a fair number of first-time smartphone buyers or ex-Android users who are picking up the iPhone. We won't really know until we see market share statistics. Surely, a huge number of purchasers already owned an iPhone and are upgrading.

As for their reasons... they are manifold. No need to pick just one. It's a great all-around upgrade.
Quote:
True the width is the same (I think) so the average thumb can sweep across the screen at least in one direction, but the height could create a demand for thumb gymnastics, reaching all the way to the top.

Reactions are mixed. Jim Dalrymple says it's just as useable as before:

"If the screen is so big that you can’t comfortably operate the iPhone 5 with one hand, then Apple would have failed.

But they didn’t. I am able to easily navigate through the iPhone 5 menus and options using one hand. My thumb reaches the top of the screen to tap on options and hit the back button without shuffling the phone in my hand."

John Gruber says it's not as convenient as the 3.5" model, which is his ideal size:

The bigger display is a total win while using the iPhone 5 two-handed. But navigating the full screen while holding the iPhone in one hand is worse, for exactly the one reason why, even one year ago, I did not expect Apple ever to increase the size of the iPhone display: my thumb no longer easily reaches from corner to corner. (My hands are at least somewhat larger than average. Perhaps, counter-intuitively, this issue will not be noticed by the smaller-handed, whose thumbs don’t easily stretch from corner to corner even on a 3.5-inch iPhone display.)

Consider the windshield wipers on a car, and how, because they swing in a radial arc, they can’t reach the passenger-side top corner. Using the iPhone 5 is like that. There are two specific touch targets where this gives me trouble, both of which I invoke frequently. First, back buttons in the top left corner. I keep mis-tapping underneath them with my fully-outstretched thumb and then need to subtly re-grip the phone so that my thumb can reach. Second, tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of the current view. The top-left back-button issue is only a problem when holding the iPhone 5 one-handed in my right hand, but, I’m right-handed and so that’s the hand I tend to use it with.

There’s a reason Apple emphasizes typing in its justification for why the iPhone 5 display is larger but not too large:

Anyone can make a larger smartphone display. But if you go large for large’s sake, you end up with a phone that feels oversize, awkward, and hard to use. iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: it’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand.

Typing on the iPhone 5 does feel exactly the same. And in my experience testing big-screen phones (mostly with the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus), it really is far more difficult to do anything on them one-handed, including typing. And I can reach top-left-corner back buttons and the status bar one-handed with the 5, it just isn’t as easy, and requires an ever-so-slightly different choked up grip on the device than I’ve used for the past five years."

Most big blog writers are used to the 4.5"+ screens of Android phones and have not complained about screen size, as far as I know, except to say that it's too small (!).
Quote:
Already has.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Seems like some apple customers can't tell one from the other and have no idea what they're looking at buying (I thought this was hilarious):

Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
In a world dominated by "specifications" – how fast, how far, how many, many commentators think the Olympics of smartphones is measured, like a race, by how fast you do things. Does this phone run at 1.6 GHz and that one at 1.61GHz? Award the medal!
Quote:
Those who were quick to dismiss the iPhone 5 based on its specifications – but no experience with its features or services – made the mistake of thinking that a phone is just components. But it's the gestalt that makes it a pleasant experience – or otherwise.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...phone-5-review
Old 09-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ars Technica:
Quote:
Apple's iPhone 5 is the fastest smartphone ever tested using the WebKit team's SunSpider JavaScript benchmark, apparently due to the custom core design of the A6 processor. The benchmark performs over twice as fast on the A6 as it does on the A5 processor in the iPhone 4S, and even bests smartphones running Intel's x86-based Atom processors, according to AnandTech.
How'd they manage that? Anandtech:
Quote:
The A6 is the first Apple SoC to use its own ARMv7 based processor design. The CPU core(s) aren't based on a vanilla A9 or A15 design from ARM IP, but instead are something of Apple's own creation.
I believe it was Dave_S who declared that any performance increases in this iPhone were Qualcomm's work, since Apple doesn't innovate. Can't be right every time, I guess.

Geekbench scores are out too:

Last edited by holymadness; 09-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I believe it was Dave_S who declared that any performance increases in this iPhone were Qualcomm's work, since Apple doesn't innovate. Can't be right every time, I guess.
Will you move that chest-beating mine better than yours to you own thread? It attracts bad posts and then thread is closed.

I'd like this to remain open. Just this one.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

New review of IOS 6 - the OS

Quote:
In the end, iOS 6 is to software what the iPhone 5 is to hardware: a big collection of improvements, many of which are really clever and good, that don’t take us in any big new directions. Lots and lots of nips and tucks — that’s Apple’s motto lately.
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ther-features/

Edit: And another:

Quote:
As for Siri's voice recognition capabilities, it feels like they have improved since the last time I sat down to seriously evaluate the software—either that or I have just improved my own interactions with Siri to make them more efficient, which is certainly possible. Either way, the ability to perform more voice-driven actions from a single screen has made Siri that much more valuable to the everyday user.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...ish-treatment/

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
holymadness
Guru

nvm ..
Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
I just wonder why this pleasant forum has descended into the boring hell of fanboi wars.
People should just buy what they personally prefer, as the Android phones, the iPhone and the MS phones are all competent products.

The thing that does seriously raise my hackles is the deluge of shameless advertorials and blatant product placements I am subjected to in supposedly "quality media".
The reviews are written in a kind of style rarely seen except in comments in the North Korean press extolling the achievements of the Kim family. No article is covering a subject too remote that you can't slip in a mentioning of the iPhone. Princess Kate has her boobs photographed by a paparazzo using an ultra-long telephoto lens? Just mention the danger of cameras lurking everywhere now that the iPhone has 8 MP (doesn't matter that other phones have better cameras). Sony unveils a new version of the PS3? Just claim that console games are being challenged by the iPhone 5 (a-hahahahaha!).
These "reviews" do not even pretend to compare the iPhone with competitors. The data published on competitors is riddled with mistakes, the reviewers parrot dubious or downright false benchmark tests published by Apple fanmags like the one posted above (the question about the value of cross-platform tests isn't being raised anyway).
I am so fed up with this journalistic prostitution that I won't buy an Apple product just for this reason alone. Yet I am not going to complain if my wife buys an iPhone to add to her other Apple stuff.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
(quoting from John Gruber) iPhone 5 features a 4-inch display designed the right way: it’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand.

Typing on the iPhone 5 does feel exactly the same. And in my experience testing big-screen phones (mostly with the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus), it really is far more difficult to do anything on them one-handed, including typing.
I can understand this argument regarding one-handed thumb typing; it is clearly easier on a narrower screen. However, this is one area where software has changed the game.

Although not everyone likes it, for those that do, Swype is amazing and speeds up your text input dramatically. Because of Swype, I never want to type just with my thumb: the speed increase of holding the phone in one hand and swyping with the other is just too big a benefit.

In dire need I can type with my thumb, but I normally don't want to.

Again, of course, if Swype's not your thing, voice input is improving all the time, and further reduces the need for one-handed typing.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote