Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
calibre will not open

I can no longer get calibre to open for me. I was using the latest updated version (8.67). I tried to create a column built from other columns. I wanted to take a column which could only have integers and put it into a new column that was text based so that I could pick it up when making a catalog. I think I must have messed up in creating the new column because I've been getting a windows error ever since.

Is there a way to get rid of the column I just created without going into calibre itself?
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I ran calibre-debug -g and got this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py”, line 230, in initialize
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py”, line 211, in initialize_db
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py”, line 187, in initialize_db_stage2
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py”, line 139, in start_gui
File “site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py”, line 324, in __exit__
File “site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py”, line 314, in commit
File “site-packages\calibre\utils\config.py”, line 353, in to_raw
File “json\__init__.py”, line 238, in dumps
MemoryError
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py”, line 488, in another_instance_wants_to_talk
File “Queue.py”, line 190, in get_nowait
MemoryError
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've got something on your computer that is sending spurious messages to calibre. Try rebooting your computer.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Jade Aislin
Groupie

I had just restarted before I got that message. I tried again, this time shutting it down and then manually restarting.

I got this message for the second Traceback:

MemoryError
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py”, line 420, in add_spare_server
File “site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\server.py”, line 91, in __init__
MemoryError

However, when I repeated my actions of manual restart, it went back to:

File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py”, line 488, in another_instance_wants_to_talk
File “Queue.py”, line 190, in get_nowait

I recently installed a game that installed some direct x components. Could either of those be causing me problems? If so, what can I do?
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A memoryError indicates calibre is running out of RAM. How much RAM do you have in your computer?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Jade Aislin
Groupie

According to the system section, I have 10.0 GB (9.78 GB usable) RAM. I bought the computer a few months ago and specified that it had to be able to play a high graphic game.

My library is pretty big. Could it be trying to populate that column from other columns that I created and running out of memory that way? Or because I went from an integer column to a text column?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Could be. simple way to test is to rename the metadata.db file. If calibre opens without it, then you know it is the problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Renaming the metadata.db worked and I was able to open calibre. Is there a way for me to remove that column so that I can access my library or do I need to create a new library?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can try running a library restore which will regenerate the db from backups and see if that fixes it, otherwise you will have to generate a new library.