Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #211
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
That's why I think it's the LEDS. If I have the light turned all the way down, it looks almost identical to my K3 screen and there are no color hues at all. Same thing with the other devices I was sent.
Me too. If it was the screen you would see it when the light was all the way down. You can take a book light to it when it's like that and see if anything shows up. That's another way to test.

DT, All Kindles have a greenish shadowing at the top and the sides. Always more on the left than right for some reason. It the bezel and glass that causes this I think. It's more prominent on the PW because of it's huge bezel. So when the light hits it it has a shadowbox look to it. It use to drive me nuts on my K3 and K4 but now I just think of it as a border. I don't think this it's fixable.

Yes my camera isn't the best. It's the camera on the SGP5 for those wondering. My Sony isn't working at the moment.

For the last time I don't have pink blobs on my PW. Any color you see is due to resizing it a very old paint program. Paint Shop Pro 7. If anyone remember old Jasc. Great for Webgraphics and tags not so much for Photos.

Is the background on my PW white? No. It's a Cool white like a floresant light or one of those curly bulbs in clear (sunlight version) I was expecting a soft white (which is more yellowish) which is what most book light tints seem to be. I was surprised to find it cool instead of warm.

If I get my Sony working I will try to take a better pic.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-06-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #212
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
one thing is for sure, when you'd have an external light, the light would be distributed more uneven than the PW's screen light; with the only difference that color blobs can't be done away with on the PW, but from the external light it just takes replacing the light, or angle of the light a bit to get an unevenness out of the way.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #213
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
After all the replacements, I'm very happy with the one I have now in general and I do love it. (It's become the only e-reader I use.) It is so much nicer than reading with a light on my touch. However, I do think some people's eyes are very sensitive to the colors and see them more than others and unfortunately for me, I'm one of those people. I still haven't found one where I don't see the same color hue patterns, but some are definitely better than others.

I don't see them at all on the Kobo Glo or the Nook (but to me the Nook looks worse in other ways) so it makes me wonder what could be done differently to avoid them altogether. I guess we'll see what happens with the PW2.
Good to hear that you are happy now with your umpteenth Paperwhite :-)

I had the possibility to handle a Kobo Glo at an airport display, and I really liked the blue light. If that one was taking Kindle books without the calibre route, I would be sorely tempted.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #214
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got my KPW yesterday (first Kindle I own, no previous experience with Kindles), and I was happy to see that my unit seems to be OK, the lighting is fairly even, but the shadows between the LEDs are quite pronounced (though not a problem for me). No discolorations as far as I can see.

However, I am unsure if the screen is as crisp as it should be. It isn't blurry, but it isn't really crisp either, if you know what I mean.

There is also another annoyance: There seems to be an occasional random skipping of multiple pages. I touch to turn pages, and suddenly it jumps to some random location. I'm not alone with this, it seems, and I've replied to this thread also:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...MxN3TJT59IN08C

As I wrote in that reply, my KPW is from the 503 batch, and it came with version 5.3.1 installed. Perhaps better to start a separate thread on this issue on these boards too?
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #215
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek View Post
There is also another annoyance: There seems to be an occasional random skipping of multiple pages. I touch to turn pages, and suddenly it jumps to some random location. I'm not alone with this, it seems, and I've replied to this thread also:
Lightly tap the screen to turn the page. It should be done quickly otherwise any touch device will turn the page more than once. It takes some getting use to but once you get use to how a capacitive screen works that problem shouldn't happen.
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #216
mroek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Lightly tap the screen to turn the page. It should be done quickly otherwise any touch device will turn the page more than once. It takes some getting use to but once you get use to how a capacitive screen works that problem shouldn't happen.
I don't think that's what's happening. I am quite used to capacitive touchscreens, and at any rate it shouldn't jump all the way to the end of the book (from somewhere in the middle) even if the press was a bit too long.

And also, it is possible to get back to where I was by pressing the back-button, which indicates that it wasn't counted as multiple presses.

However, it doesn't happen very often, so I'm going to give it some more time to see if there is a pattern to it.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #217
mroek

And BTW, here's an image of mine, light at full strength in a pitch black room:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1357762892

There is a hotspot at the edge on the lower left, and the light is of course uneven at the bottom, but it is more pronounced in the picture than in real life. And I never use this setting either, around 10 is my maximum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kpw_mroek.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	99120  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #218
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I got my 5th (and final) PW today. Not bad, but still color hues. However, on this PW, one LED light was quite a bit brighter than the other three, creating a "spotlight" effect. It's going back and I'm keeping the best one out of the 5. I was also given a $30 Amazon credit. The person I spoke to this time was very knowledgeable about the color hues. He said, and I quote "They all have color hues to some degree because one of the screen layers (I think he clarified later that it was the capacitive touchscreen, but I'm not positive) is not dispersing the light the way it should."

He went on to say that Amazon was very well aware of the problem and were working on it, but it would not be a quick fix. He further mentioned that although they all have color hues (predominantly pink), not everyone notices them because the intensity varies from device to device, and also because some people aren't as sensitive to color variations.

I'm not too upset because the screen on the one I'm keeping is pretty good and I'm adjusting to the very faint hues (sometimes I notice and sometimes I don't). I was also very happy to speak to an Amazon rep who knew exactly what I was talking about and discussed the issue at length with me.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #219
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I was told the same thing from kindle support, JLeighs. Something I already know though because I'm so sensitive to it. I'm pretty happy with the one I have currently though. I'm glad your screen is pretty good too. I had the spotlight effect on one of my replacements too. I sent that one back. The far left LED was much brighter. I'm hoping the hues gets fixed in the PW 2, I guess we'll see. Fingers crossed.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #220
mroek

Mine doesn't really have any visible color hues (other than the blueish overall tint), as evidenced from my image a couple of posts above here.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #221
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek View Post
Mine doesn't really have any visible color hues (other than the blueish overall tint), as evidenced from my image a couple of posts above here.
Is it really that blue or is that your camera? Mine is a fluorescent cool white. It has no color tints other than the greenish border from the bezel which you only see when holding it a certain way.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #222
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I must be incredibly lucky as I received my PW the first day they came out and I've been very happy with it. I keep my light up pretty high, 19, unless I'm reading in bed when DH is asleep, then I keep it around 4.

With the light on the screen appears very white, with it off it looks like my older Kindles.

Hope that everyone who has issues gets them resolved.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #223
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I got my 5th (and final) PW today. Not bad, but still color hues. However, on this PW, one LED light was quite a bit brighter than the other three, creating a "spotlight" effect. It's going back and I'm keeping the best one out of the 5. I was also given a $30 Amazon credit. The person I spoke to this time was very knowledgeable about the color hues. He said, and I quote "They all have color hues to some degree because one of the screen layers (I think he clarified later that it was the capacitive touchscreen, but I'm not positive) is not dispersing the light the way it should."

He went on to say that Amazon was very well aware of the problem and were working on it, but it would not be a quick fix. He further mentioned that although they all have color hues (predominantly pink), not everyone notices them because the intensity varies from device to device, and also because some people aren't as sensitive to color variations.

I'm not too upset because the screen on the one I'm keeping is pretty good and I'm adjusting to the very faint hues (sometimes I notice and sometimes I don't). I was also very happy to speak to an Amazon rep who knew exactly what I was talking about and discussed the issue at length with me.
Interesting that the CS rep was so upfront with you, and especially that (s)he told you about the different perception depending on color sensitivity! That's the first time I am hearing Amazon acknowledging this, and I find it intersting because I suspect they bank on the fact that not everyone is as color sensitive as myself, for instance.
Which PW did you get: WiFi? WiFi+3G? With or without SO?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #224
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
because I suspect they bank on the fact that not everyone is as color sensitive as myself, for instance.
Which PW did you get: WiFi? WiFi+3G? With or without SO?
I think they bank on that as well, which is why I'm a little worried it won't be resolved in the PW2. As far as what the rep said, I think so much of it depends on who you get. Andrew did tell me that they were well aware of the color hue defect, and after I got my last PW, where I said I could still detect slight hues, he said it may take further to resolve and that he would call me when he found out more.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 01-09-2013 at 07:59 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #225
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ oh I remember now. He avoided acknowledging this to be a known issue when I talked to him, though I asked.
But I have never heard of Amazon stating that it depends on how color sensitive an individual is - which is something we here all figured out in the beginning with those crazy threads of some people seeing blobs on what others considered perfect screens.

Last edited by xendula; 01-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote