Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Why Not "Reverse Podcasts" for iPod?

We've seen that iTunes 4.9 was released with podcast support.I'd like to suggest something that could become an instant hit, especially with the teens... "Reverse Podcasts." That's a term I'm using to describe the ability of iPods to not just download podcasts and listen to them on the run, but to create podcasts on the run and then upload them for others to hear.

Sort of like an audio SplashBlog, if you are familiar with that Palm app.

Someone would have to host the content, but could certainly put limits on space if necessary. They could even provide software to normalize the sound levels and do some simple editing. Better yet, provide access controls to allow some to be private. It could even support an online message community, with groups that are able to share audio messages, and if you really wanted to be a splash, offer transcription services so that the audio messages you create on your iPod are uploaded, transcribed, and the written form is now available either publicly to your group or maybe even for you to keep, say on your pda.

That does sound a lot more like something Google would do than Apple. But just simply allowing short "reverse podcasts" or even just recorded comments for existing podcasts, to be recorded and uploaded has a lot of potential in my mind.

Just put a microphone in the iPod and you pretty much have a ready made client, don't you? (In addition to all the other handheld devices that can record and store audio!)

What do you think? Will we eventually see something like this?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Bob,

I posted something similar the other day in the comments over Engadget, that I actually think Apple will make this a reality, not with an iPod with a microphone, but with the inevitable arrival of an iTunes phone.

Using a .Mac account or webhosting service, an iTunes phone could be used to record podcasts directly to the web (available for download through your podcast's RSS feed). You'd have your own special podcasting phone # with a PIN that you'd call, similar to AudioBlogger. You'd call your number, punch in your pin, create a conference call with other hosts/interviewees with a phone (or anyone with a phone or Skype In/Out service) if you wish, then punch a code on your phone to start recording your podcast. Other Mac users using iChat could also join in if Apple ever added Skype In/Out like capabilities to iChat AV (which I also think is coming) .

This would also open up the possibility of almost real-time streaming live podcasts created using an iTunes phones thanks to Quicktime, which is integrated with the desktop iTunes player, and plays streaming audio and video.

I think it's coming (probably by the end of this year). The iTunes phone is the first step, then look for capabilities like this to follow, along with some other mind-blowing end-user experiences and capabilities. These types of capabilities will take the 'iPod Halo Effect' to the next level.

I think we're onto something... You heard it here first .

Brian

Last edited by ballistic; 06-29-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
It looks like at least one specialty device for Podcast creation is coming soon.

[Via Gizmodo]

Brian