Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Store Overpriced

Why are the books at the Sony Reader store so expensive? It's more expensive then Amazon, Barnes and Nobal and even Kobobooks and the selection isn't that great either. Is Sony worth it or should I get the Kindle?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Afaik you can read most of amazon books on Sony's readers. But only after converting them.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Quote:
Is Sony worth it or should I get the Kindle?
Don't judge your choice of Device by the default bookstore. You'll be buying Epub books from a lot of places other than Sony. If you feel that Sony's device comprimises suit you better than the Kindle device comprimises than I'd buy the Sony. If you can only find the books you want to read as .mobi then get the Kindle - but I suspect this wont' be the case.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
There are lots of e-book stores out there that sell books readable on the Sony. Don't go by the default bookstore. It's the device you're buying. But, every now and then the Sony store drops prices on a book you've had your eye on. That's what "wish lists" are for - to check now and then for deals after the books have been on the market for a while.

If the Sony has the features you want, and not too many of the features you don't want, get the Sony. If the Kindle (or any of the other various types of reader) have more of what you do want and less of what you don't want, buy that one.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Interesting, I didn't know you can purchase books from other stores as well. In general I think everything about Sony is over priced even the 650 I've pre-ordered and after reviewing their bookstore it doesn't make matters look better.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I think Sony charges sales tax on ebooks sold through their store.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
As part of the agency model, e-books from the Agency 5 are taxable in places where the Agency 5 has offices (ie NY, etc). Sony appears to roll in a 5% increase to books to cover the sales tax. Other ebookstores seems to skip the tax (eating it themselves) or they don't show you the tax until checkout (B&N and Amazon both charge me tax, but not until checkout).

Each method has its pros and cons, but Sony looks more expensive as a results.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if you prefer to get eBooks from say Kobo or Borders, you can use them with a Sony and with a Sony, you can borrow ePub from your local library if they have them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For actual numbers, confirming that Sony is not a price leader, see How does Amazon, B&N and Sony stack up on ebook prices post agency model. However, Sony, Kobo and Borders all sell Adobe DRMed ePubs, so in combination they may be competitive.

Striping DRM from B&N ePubs is easy and I don't think B&N can change their DRM to make it harder to circumvent (since it is now in several 3rd party devices). They often have the cheapest price, and have some ebooks that other sites don't (Sony also has some exclusives).

Stripping DRM from Kindle ebooks is relatively easy with K4PC and skindle, but Amazon does seem the most proactive DRM supporter and it has updated its DRM several times already. If you want the largest range of legal ebooks, then the Kindle store has to be on your list but it isn't the easiest for ePub consumers to deal with.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I have received over 10 free books on line for my Sony 900 from places like gutenberg.org that works fine on my Sony. Books on Board is another great place. Personally I found many books at the Sony store only $1.00 or 2 different than Amazon.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote