Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite a few, actually. A few weeks ago, I went to see "The Hobbit" at the cinema, and read through the 20 minutes of tedious adverts and trailers that preceded the film. On Saturday I went out for a very nice Indian meal, and read while waiting for the food to arrive.
Oh - so you're one of those people.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #62
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I only read on my mobile at night because I have a grouch in bed that doesn't like me having the light on. I never really liked the clip-on lights.

I got my PW today so I'm eager to try it out after "lights-out".

Also - even during the day at home, I sometimes sit in my library and read and I find that I have to turn on an extra lamp. It's fine, but it's behind me so I can have some shadowing issues. Also, when it's warm in the house, the lights/lamps just add to the heat. Somehow I don't think the PW will contribute much to the temperature in the house - which is a good thing.

Front-lit technology was the main function I was waiting for to upgrade by Kindle Keyboard. I've only looked at the PW briefly at this stage and I'm wondering if that brightness will still hurt my eyes. I'll have to play around a little with settings and read for a while before I can say one way or another - eg. maybe I'm just better off having the light at lower settings day or night.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #63
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I do not own one, but my next one will be, and I will be 100% dedicated to light only. It was not out when I brought my kindle touch last april. I drool for one but just can not justify buying one right this minute.

I do go to sleep at night praying the puppy will piddle on my touch

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #64
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I bought a Nook Glowlight just before Christmas. It's only my 2nd eReader, but I'm already addicted. Overhead lighting, lamps, etc., never seem to be without shadows or reflection. The Nook Glow has eliminated all that. My only other eReader, a Libre Pro, is now my MP3 player for both music and audiobooks. Of course, I'd love to have it all in one unit, but meanwhile, they both fit well in my shoulder bag when travelling....
So no, I can't imagine buying another eReader that is not front-lit.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #65
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've still never bought an eInk device (for myself, at least) in 3 or 4 years of e-reading, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but if I do it will certainly be front-lit. If B&N drop a higher-PPI Nook running Android, I might go for it, or even a used or refurb Glowlight of the current gen. I've looked at the Kobo Glo, too, but man it seems buggy and I could see the lack of lower light settings being a problem given how often I read in the actual dark. How it would compare to a tablet with the backlight turned way down, I don't know.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm very happy with my K4 and see no reason to upgrade to glow technology at this time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #67
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I have a PRS-505, that I've had for years, and it has served me well. My only complaint with it has been poor PDF performance (some PDFs take 10-20 seconds for a page turn). Given that I don't use a lot of PDFs, and mostly use it for fiction ePubs, I am fine with it.

However, after seeing the glowlight, I am seriously considering getting a new one. I've toyed with the idea for a while of getting a rootable Android based tablet, so I can do some different tasks, but that's mainly been just a whim. Not really actively thought of replacing my 505, until I saw the glowlight. Now, I've still not ruled out nonlit devices, but that's mostly been a way of me having a way to talk myself out of getting a new reader. Reason for it, is I am frequently in situations where lighting isn't always the best. In those times, I now whip out my phone and screw around on that. It'd be nice if I could read as well.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #68
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Also, when it's warm in the house, the lights/lamps just add to the heat. Somehow I don't think the PW will contribute much to the temperature in the house - which is a good thing.
On a couple of over 40C degree evenings over the past few weeks here in Sydney, my Kobo Glo has been the only light on in the house, and that's because I was sitting in the lounge room reading my book on it

The Glo didn't heat up at all, although I placed it on a cushion just at the right distance and right height for me not to have to hold it, but sufficient to just touch it to turn the page.

Re the original question - I would only buy a lit ereader again - because I need the light and the small reading lights just don't do the job.

I'm waiting for Sony's lit ereader to be released and I'll get that. Kobo's firmware is still a work in progress imo.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #69
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes. But then, I've never even seen a front-lit e-ink device, only heard about the problems of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yeah, but how many of those dimly-lit places that you actually now read in (as opposed to just being able to read in) are places you can't just turn on a normal light? Not many, I'm expecting.
I read about 90% of the time in a dark or darker environment... And turning on the light doesn't help in reading. Which is why I mostly read on my tablet.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I read about 90% of the time in a dark or darker environment... And turning on the light doesn't help in reading. Which is why I mostly read on my tablet.
I would recommend trying a front-lit device. I find the PW to be much easier on the eyes in a dark environment than a backlit device such as my Galaxy Tab, or iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #71
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would recommend trying a front-lit device. I find the PW to be much easier on the eyes in a dark environment than a backlit device such as my Galaxy Tab, or iPad.
I might consider it if my Sony ever died... And if the device had paging buttons... I don't even like that K4 device and I saw the Glo also doesn't have buttons either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #72
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
I have the Odyssey Frontlight HD and while the light is a fantastic addition to an e-reader I would still consider buying one without frontlight. I actually did, just a couple of weeks after I got the Odyssey. Yes, I am an e-reader addict with more money than sense. But the Kobo Mini is really cute.
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #73
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Provide a link to that, please.

That sounds about as hokey as stuff like this, or "wifi allergies".
Thank you for posting that. I am currently cleaning coffee off my monitor due to a massive DCS*.

*Disgust at Credulity Spew
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #74
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Giving up additional memory space for a light that I would almost never need would be a poor trade for me. I have a few booklights. I never use them for reading but only as emergency flashlights. Unless I was planning to use my paperwhite to look in my fuse box for a blown fuse there would be no point for me.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Giving up additional memory space for a light that I would almost never need would be a poor trade for me. I have a few booklights. I never use them for reading but only as emergency flashlights. Unless I was planning to use my paperwhite to look in my fuse box for a blown fuse there would be no point for me.
The PW really is a totally different experience from using a booklight. I bought it thinking that it would be not terribly different to my previous Kindle Touch with a lighted cover. I was wrong - the integrated lighting is nothing like a booklight; it drastically improves the readability of the screen in ALL lighting conditions, from darkness to full sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote