Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
rando
rando began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro
Aztak EXPOSED EMAIL ADDRESSES!!

I received an email from Aztak with all the recipients email addresses displayed. If you also received this (and I know who you are) please complain to Aztak. This exposed our email addresses to every scammer and spammer in the world. If you send emails to multiple recipients who have no reason to have each others email addresses, use the bcc (blind carbon copy)address line. Just to press the point, send all your spam and offers to get money out of Nigeria to Aztak.
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Hrmm.. I can see why you would have a problem with this, but please answer 1 question.

How many email addresses were included?

As for flooding Astak (not Aztak) with spam for a simple, honest mistake is not a very considerate action. It tells the world exactly what kind of person you are, and frankly, I find you lacking in morality and ethics.

Not to mention a complete ass.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, mistakes can happen. However, let's play nice, please.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
rando

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Hrmm.. I can see why you would have a problem with this, but please answer 1 question.

How many email addresses were included?

As for flooding Astak (not Aztak) with spam for a simple, honest mistake is not a very considerate action. It tells the world exactly what kind of person you are, and frankly, I find you lacking in morality and ethics.

Not to mention a complete ass.
Hi Griffonwing:

Thank you for responding to my post from the ethical and moral high ground you inhabit by right of universal acclaim. In answer to your question about how many email addresses, I counted them for you (since you said please) and I got 214. I can send them to you or post them here in order to make sure we get the widest distribution possible. I hope I counted correctly or you will think that I can neither count nor spell. Thank you for your very considerate action of correcting my spelling, I meant no offense to the folks at Astak (or Aztak either), it was a simple, honest mistake.
In defense of myself, I did not recommend "flooding" Astak (or Aztac) with spam, though in hindsight I can see how my suggestion might influence others to act in an inconsiderate manner. I had hoped that my joking reference to the Nigerian emails would show the lack of seriousness in my suggestion. I should have used one of the "Smilies" for those who may be verbally challenged...haha. For anyone who has not received one of these emails, somebody told me that they were a scam. I certainly hope you will not now tell me that I have offended an entire country (I actually felt really sorry for that lady, I mean her husband died and she can't get her millions out of the country, bummer).
I am a little confused by your last incomplete sentence. I could not tell who (or whom, I never can get that right, add bad grammer to my lack of spelling ability, morality, ethics and, perhaps, counting) you were refering to. Oh yeah, now I've got it! Let me rephrase. I could not tell to whom you were referring, yourself or me. I finally decided that since the (incomplete) sentence appeared in what is traditionally the signature line you must not have wanted to "mention" yourself.
BTW, do we have a moderator? On most forums flaming is considered, if not immoral and unethical, bad form.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I received an email from Aztak with all the recipients email addresses displayed. If you also received this (and I know who you are) please complain to Aztak. This exposed our email addresses to every scammer and spammer in the world.
Exactly how did it do that?

I cannot see how this is different from you sending an email to a couple of hundred people.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
rando

Dr. Drib, I'm sorry! Note the date of my joining this forum and my "Junior Member" status! As soon as I posted that (look at the times, really) I found out we do have a moderator and that you were doing your job.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
rando

Hi Tompe:

They put the addresses of all recipients in the visible address line. As I said, when sending emails to multiple recipients who have no reason to have each others email addresses, use the bcc (blind carbon copy) address line. Assuming that none of the recipients has a computer with a bot that will harvest unprotected email addresses and expose you to viruses is, unfortunately, not credible.

As an addendum: the folks at Aztak (not Aztec, that is a whole different people group) sent me an apology and assured me it would never happen again.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Tompe:

They put the addresses of all recipients in the visible address line. As I said, when sending emails to multiple recipients who have no reason to have each others email addresses, use the bcc (blind carbon copy) address line. Assuming that none of the recipients has a computer with a bot that will harvest unprotected email addresses and expose you to viruses is, unfortunately, not credible.
Yes, but that is the same as you sending emails to people you know. Your email address will be harvested is somebody you sent to have a cracked computer. So I really cannot see why the risk suddenly has increased significantly for you.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dr Drib

Apologies to you, but I find no difference between my calling the OP an ass and the OPs suggestion of flooding Astak with spam due to a simple oversight.

I suppose it was redundant, as the OP had already displayed such an aspect.

Rando:

Actually, a "smilie" would have gone VERY far as to determining whether a comment was made in jest, or in actual intention. You say I should have used one of the "Smilies" for those who may be verbally challenged...haha. Verbally challenged? Words are words, regardless of your inflection. "Verbally challenged" would relate to someone not understanding definitions of the words, not the meaning by when you speak, or its intended inflection.

So, again, if this post was simply made in jest, a smilie would have been mandatory.

As for flaming, your post is the instigator of requesting spam attacks on a company. I highly doubt my opinion on your actions constitutes 'flaming'.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
rando

Golly Gee Griffonwing:

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings! As I mentioned to Dr. Drib, I am a new member, not a seasoned, experienced poster like yourself. I didn't realize there were rules for mandatory use of smilies. Maybe you could send me a list of the mandatory places I should use the smilies, and you better tell me which smilie to use in those situations because I wouldn't want to make a simple, honest mistake and use the wrong smilie. Horrors! Think of the potential abuse!

Your opinion on my actions certainly would not constitute flaming but your attack was on me personally, that is flaming.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
rando

Hi Tompe:

It is really a question of internet etiquette. I'm no expert (I didn't even know about mandatory smilies) but there is a difference in me revealing my email address to who (whom) I choose and having a third party, corporate or private, send out my email address. I suppose it would be like the difference between me writing my phone number on the bathroom wall and someone else writing my number on the bathroom wall. Griffonwing would probably want to know how many bathroom walls.

I did mention that Astak sent me an apology, which I really appreciate. It is encouraging to know that a company I do business with is responsible and responsive enough to be interested in customer satisfaction and respects my privacy. I voluntarily provided them with my email address with the usual provisos of "we will not reveal or sell your email address to any third party". However, this is what happened to me and 213 others. I have gladly accepted Astak's apology and believe them when they say it won't happen again. My original post suggested that others please complain also, so that it would not happen again. If only I had known about mandatory smilies.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I'm done here. This is getting too deep for me. I forgot my rubber boots.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It is certainly a surprise to see a professional company making this sort of error. It is good that Astak know to avoid this slip in future.
I can understand rando's disquiet; my workplace email address is on the web and attracts a lot of spam. A lot of people really don't want their addresses publicised for precisely this reason. One can't be sure that none of the other 213 people is a spammer.

Incidentally, I'm looking at the "similar threads" in the box beneath this post. Aztak seems to be a common spelling variant. I bet that Sony don't have this problem. (That was intended as a frivolous remark.)
More seriously, I suggest that we don't take too much notice of spelling errors: some forum members are posting in their second or third language; others are dyslexic or poor typists. And we don't want to be pedantic, or unwelcoming to newer members.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
I didn't realize there were rules for mandatory use of smilies. Maybe you could send me a list of the mandatory places I should use the smilies, and you better tell me which smilie to use in those situations because I wouldn't want to make a simple, honest mistake and use the wrong smilie. Horrors! Think of the potential abuse!
I'm not getting caught up in the right/wrong of the revealing of customer email addresses with bulk emailing. Rando I always look upon the use of smileys and emoticons (I believe they are called) as an expression of non-verbal communication. If you were to say in person to somebody what you would say here on a forum and recognise you would supplement the conversation with a light laugh or smile, then I would add an appropriate smiley to add to the forum post.

I don't believe there is a list of rules in which each should be used, I just find the best way (for me anyway) is to utilise them in conjunction with any form of emotion I would during a verbal communication.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Tompe:

It is really a question of internet etiquette. I'm no expert (I didn't even know about mandatory smilies) but there is a difference in me revealing my email address to who (whom) I choose and having a third party, corporate or private, send out my email address. I suppose it would be like the difference between me writing my phone number on the bathroom wall and someone else writing my number on the bathroom wall. Griffonwing would probably want to know how many bathroom walls.

I did mention that Astak sent me an apology, which I really appreciate. It is encouraging to know that a company I do business with is responsible and responsive enough to be interested in customer satisfaction and respects my privacy. I voluntarily provided them with my email address with the usual provisos of "we will not reveal or sell your email address to any third party". However, this is what happened to me and 213 others. I have gladly accepted Astak's apology and believe them when they say it won't happen again. My original post suggested that others please complain also, so that it would not happen again. If only I had known about mandatory smilies.
Of course it was a mistake and it is bad etiquette to spread email addresses against people's wishes. But it was not equivalent to giving the email addresses to spammers since the risks for that happening should be similar to the risk that happening when using the address at all.