Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy Any hack to add search to PRS-505?

I know this is a long shot, especially since a search of these forums didn't turn anything up for me. But is there any custom firmware hack or 3rd party tool that allows you to search for a word or phrase on the PRS-505?

I know Sony didn't include it, and their reasoning is probably related to the lack of keyboard or touchscreen. But there's no reason we couldn't use the the d-pad to move around a virtual keyboard or use the number buttons T9 style like the jetBook. I was about to buy one, but now I'm having trouble convincing myself this isn't a deal breaker.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
del
del began at the beginning.

Device: iphone (still searching...)
I've searched on this same topic, as search is the only feature that keeps me from buying the PRS-505.

With printed books I don't have built-in dictionaries or many other of the features of e-book devices, so I can overlook those omissions. I can, however, fan quickly through pages looking for the last time a character, place, or topic was mentioned. Given the limitations of the format and display on current readers, search functionality seems like the best way to address this limitation. (I don't think the multi-page jumping would solve this.)

The PRS-505 is still top on my candidate list (Calibre solves my other complaint), but I share your reservations with regards to search.

It would be great if a Sony firmware update resolved this, but I don't expect it to happen at this point.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
I've searched on this same topic, as search is the only feature that keeps me from buying the PRS-505.

With printed books I don't have built-in dictionaries or many other of the features of e-book devices, so I can overlook those omissions. I can, however, fan quickly through pages looking for the last time a character, place, or topic was mentioned. Given the limitations of the format and display on current readers, search functionality seems like the best way to address this limitation. (I don't think the multi-page jumping would solve this.)

The PRS-505 is still top on my candidate list (Calibre solves my other complaint), but I share your reservations with regards to search.

It would be great if a Sony firmware update resolved this, but I don't expect it to happen at this point.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you search without a keyboard?
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you search without a keyboard?
The PRS-505 has lots of buttons that could be used for selecting characters. Like I said above, "there's no reason we couldn't use the the d-pad to move around a virtual keyboard (on the screen) or use the number buttons T9 style like the jetBook". It would be slower than a qwerty keyboard, but acceptable (texters have been doing it on cell phones for years now) and certainly better than nothing.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
I know this is a long shot, especially since a search of these forums didn't turn anything up for me. But is there any custom firmware hack or 3rd party tool that allows you to search for a word or phrase on the PRS-505?
No - while the custom firmware can tweak the UI somewhat, there's not the ability to add that sort of functionality. While you can search within a book using the Sony eBook Library software or Calibre, i.e. on your PC, there's no way to add that to the 505 - if you need that, you need to consider the PRS-700 instead.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No - while the custom firmware can tweak the UI somewhat, there's not the ability to add that sort of functionality. While you can search within a book using the Sony eBook Library software or Calibre, i.e. on your PC, there's no way to add that to the 505 - if you need that, you need to consider the PRS-700 instead.
Thanks! It does look like I'll go for the PRS-505 after all. For $100 cheaper and a better screen, I can make do.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
gullwing
gullwing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello all, and sorry for bringing this old topic to 1st page.

It seems that people who are programming their own dictionaries for the 505 are using their own input methods.

On the other hand, a search function is already implemented on PRS-700.

So in theory, it would be possible to make a word search function for the PRS-505, wouldn't it?

Regards
gullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
PRS-700 has a touchscreen, so could do virtual keyboard input, which is going to be the sticking point for the 505.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote