Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
achatham
achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Bibliorize - get web pages on your kindle

I just finished the first version of Bibliorize. It lets you list a set of web pages and then download them straight to the kindle.

If you're familiar with html2mobi, it's like that, but without requiring you to connect your kindle to a computer. In that respect it's similar to emailing USER@kindle.com, but it doesn't fail as mysteriously (at least for me).

Please take a look. I'm sure it has problems, as it's tough to figure out what HTML the kindle will accept. It works for the pages I've wanted to read so far, though. It might be a few days before I can work on it again, but I wanted to get it out there for comments.
achatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use calibre's any2mobi as your backend. That way you dont have to worry about cleaning up the HTML And have a look at the BookIt firefox extension. It should be easy to extend it to support MOBI output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
achatham
achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.achatham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use calibre's any2mobi as your backend. That way you dont have to worry about cleaning up the HTML And have a look at the BookIt firefox extension. It should be easy to extend it to support MOBI output
I wish I had known there was a python implementation of the mobi format before I did this Oh well, what's done in done.

The main problem I was facing with the perl scripts was that the kindle will die with no explanation if there are any script tags in the HTML (or maybe it's more specific?). I don't see that in the calibre code, though there a lot of files, so I may have just missed it.
achatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AFAIK calibre will strip out the script tags when creating MOBI files.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by achatham View Post
I don't see that in the calibre code, though there a lot of files, so I may have just missed it.
The approach calibre takes for Mobipocket generation is to treat Mobipocket HTML as if it were a completely foreign pure-formatting markup language. So there isn't any explicit <script/> etc stripping because it generates all the markup in the output Mobipocket book "from scratch" from the style information applied to each piece of text in the source.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
The approach calibre takes for Mobipocket generation is to treat Mobipocket HTML as if it were a completely foreign pure-formatting markup language. So there isn't any explicit <script/> etc stripping because it generates all the markup in the output Mobipocket book "from scratch" from the style information applied to each piece of text in the source.
The mobi2html approach is the total opposite. Do as little as possible with the hmtl code and only maybe fix thing that makes devices crash.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Jon_Roland
Constitutionalist
Jon_Roland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My main use for a Kindle would be to read free online documents like those at http://www.constitution.org/liberlib.htm . Can anyone try downloading and reading them using any of the tools being discussed to see if it works, and report back to this forum? Thanks.
Jon_Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Roland View Post
My main use for a Kindle would be to read free online documents like those at http://www.constitution.org/liberlib.htm . Can anyone try downloading and reading them using any of the tools being discussed to see if it works, and report back to this forum? Thanks.
All of the books on the list have HTML, which means that with MobiPocket Creator and a computer, you can make your own Mobis and dl them to the Kindle, which will read them.

Cool site, btw.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Jon_Roland
Constitutionalist

Thanks, but I want an easy solution for our visitors. Would it make sense for us to use a tool like MobiPicket Creator to create already converted versions that people using a Kindle or other reader could just click on without having to do their own conversion?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can certainly convert your HTML files to ebook formats. But rather than using MobiPocket Creator, I suggest using calibre, which will allow you to generate EPUB files as well (for people with SONY readers)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid is the Ghod of conversions, so I bow to his wisdom. Yeah, if you had the books already changed to mobis, then they could be directly dl'd to the Kindle. If I understand Calibre correctly, I think that there might actually be a batch file way of converting all your files at one time, but again, Kovid would be the man for answering that question.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Jon_Roland
Constitutionalist

Okay, your posts are very helpful. Would it work to convert our top Liberty Library page, to make it easier to navigate to the links to the separate books? Is the user going to be charged $0.10 for each page visit? In that case it might be better to consolidate the chapters in HTML that are now separate files into a single file. Would it work to add a button next to the ones I now have for the HTML, text, PDF, and other versions, and can anyone suggest an image file (perhaps a favicon) that would look good?

I suppose we could publish our books to Kindle, but I would like to preserve the advantage of our existing HTML versions of being cross-linked to one another (ultimately all footnotes to works on our site will be hyperlinked). Is there a conversion script that would convert internal links to HTML files to Kindle files so that the links would work smoothly?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
pshrynk

If people want to send their books to the Kindle from their computer by e-mail, it might cost $.10, but they can download them directly for free. Also, I have yet to notice that I have been charged for the conversion by Amazon, so it may not be a concern, really.