Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Jim_J
Jim_J began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem saving file and making indent?

I am quite new to Calibre, but so far I am liking it very much, thank you Kovid!

My problems are probably related to my ignorance but here goes:

1st problem-I import a new file into a book I'm finishing, edit it a little, then save it, but the imported file does not export with the book and it seems to disappear, what am I missing?

2nd problem: I wrote my book in Word, and formatted it in InDesign. I wanted to indent my speech text so I originally used white/paper colored periods, as it was something I did many years go for a PDF file, and it worked ok, but not for this. They show up so I have been trying to indent the text using <span style="text-indent:25px"></span> and nothing happens?

Help, anyone, please.....
Jim_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Jim_J

1st problem resolved!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Thom*
The Fumbler
Thom* began at the beginning.

Device: android 4.2/fbreader
Not with <span>

First, I assume that your text is between the span tags. Second, I don't think "text-indent" works on the span level. Try using at the paragraph level or above. For example:
<p style="text-indent: 25px">Your paragraph text here</p>.
That should work.

Best of Luck
Thom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Jim_J - have you considered using Word's Styles to do the indenting, and then importing the DOCX into the editor rather taking a detour via InDesign.

See Convert Microsoft Word documents and Importing files in other e-book formats as EPUB

The Convert... link has a sample DOCX that demonstrates calibres capabilities.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
Jim_J

With the below message in mind thanks again Kovid, and everyone else involved in open source development, which I think reflects the true nature of humanity at its best.

Last edited by Jim_J; 06-04-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: posted in wrong place
Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Jim_J

I tried that but it brings my paragraph settings into play. Have resolved the issue now though but thanks for the reply. I had one sleepless night thinking I was going to have to reformat the whole document, and it's a long one but I looked to see what mobipocket did and a lightbulb switched on, of course &nbsp: I replaced the previous settings that I applied in InDesign with a line of five of these, fixed any issues and voila! I had to mess about to get it to take on one or two files, or at least show up on my kindle reader, but very pleased with the result. Wish I'd discovered this software sooner!

I think my posts might be in the wrong order, but anyone reading them will get the idea!