Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
cactusjack
cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.cactusjack has met Morla.

Device: TT
Unhappy RTF Conversion with Plucker

I have quite a few RTF (Rich Text Format) documents and ebooks I would like to read in Plucker, but dammed if I can work out how to get JpluckX or PLucker Desktop to convert them.

Has anyone got any ideas???
cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I have quite a few RTF (Rich Text Format) documents and ebooks I would like to read in Plucker, but dammed if I can work out how to get JpluckX or PLucker Desktop to convert them.

Has anyone got any ideas???
I don't know Plucker, but as I indicated on your iSiloX "sister post", you can use MS Word or WordPad (which comes with Windows) to open the file as RTF, save it as .txt, and then convert to iSilo. I'm guessing the same approach works for Plucker. Good luck.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
sas
Enthusiast
sas began at the beginning.

Device: T650 & T/T3
pdaConverter

Did you try pdaConverter
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Saving as html is the best option, as it keeps document formatting, tables etc for a much nicer isilo or plucker conversion.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I just caught this thread, and wanted to say that I've been happily converting RTF files to Plucker format for about 2 years now, using just Perl. Here's the code that you can use to do the same:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl 
use strict;
use XML::GDOME;
use RTF::HTMLConverter;
my $parser = RTF::HTMLConverter->new(
                  in             => 'test.rtf',
                  out            => 'test.html',
                  codepage       => 'iso-8859-1',
                  discard_images => 1,);

$parser->parse();
I've tested this on some pretty complicated RTF documents, and it clearly outshines the rest. Maybe I should contribute this to the Plucker community. I didn't realize there was an interest in it.

I could probably add this kind of functionality to my PDF to Plucker tool online, if anyone is interested. I've also been converting .doc files as well, but that isn't really as popular, I guess.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
I just caught this thread, and wanted to say that I've been happily converting RTF files to Plucker format for about 2 years now, using just Perl. Here's the code that you can use to do the same:
I've tested this on some pretty complicated RTF documents, and it clearly outshines the rest. Maybe I should contribute this to the Plucker community. I didn't realize there was an interest in it.

I could probably add this kind of functionality to my PDF to Plucker tool online, if anyone is interested. I've also been converting .doc files as well, but that isn't really as popular, I guess.
I'd love to have plucker to rtf and doc conversion. Please contribute!
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

I did, didn't you see the code above?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
nevar_maor
nevar_maor began at the beginning.

Hacker,

RTF to Plucker is not the same as Plucker to RTF.
Does it work in reverse?

I would like to convert a bunch of plucker files to rtf. (plucker is waaaaaay too big, 3M+)

cactusjack,

There's a RichReader for palms that works with rtf files. Check it out. (search Google for richreader palm)
And 44k in size versus 3M for plucker.
nevar_maor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
hacker
Technology Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevar_maor
RTF to Plucker is not the same as Plucker to RTF.
Of course it isn't. They are complete opposites. I don't think anyone, including me, suggested that the code I provided would go in the opposite direction.
Quote:
Does it work in reverse?
No, it does not. It could be made to work in reverse easily enough, if someone wanted to write that bit of logic. I could probably do such a thing in about an hour, including testing. Just a little unpluck-to-RTF, and you're done.
Quote:
I would like to convert a bunch of plucker files to rtf. (plucker is waaaaaay too big, 3M+)
Plucker is nowhere near 3M+ in size. The latest viewer + ZLib support is roughly 352k in size, total.

If you mean the Plucker content you are creating is 3M+ in size, that is entirely possible, depending on what factors you used when building it.
Did you enable zlib compression? (40% savings in size, roughly)

Did you include images? At what bit depth? Lower bit-depth images produce smaller .pdb files.

Did you enable alternate images? That'll bloat the .pdb quite a bit.

How many links are in the .pdb? Hundreds? Thousands?
There are so many factors that can change the size of the .pdb file.

Quote:
There's a RichReader for palms that works with rtf files. Check it out. (search Google for richreader palm) And 44k in size versus 3M for plucker.
Plucker is 270k without the external ZLib support, not 3M. Please correct your misconceptions about Plucker, so we don't confuse the other users here on the forum.

RichReader is 44k because it does something entirely different. Comparing the features and size of RichReader to Plucker is like comparing the speed of a Porsche to the taste of an orange.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
hacker
Technology Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid
I'd love to have plucker to rtf and doc conversion. Please contribute!
I have contributed, in thousands of ways.

If you really want a Plucker-to-RTF conversion tool, feel free to fund such a venture, and I'm sure someone will write it. Personally, my spare time is drastically limited (this time of year does that to my company) and having a new daughter v0.4 (months) sucks up whatever available time I might have left.

What have you personally contributed to the project?