Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Words for the New Year

I came across a couple of lists today and I thought it would be fun to share them.

Lake Superior State University has released its 35th annual List of Banished Words:
Quote:
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. -- Word "czars" at Lake Superior State University "unfriended" 15 words and phrases and declared them "shovel-ready" for inclusion on the university's 35th annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness.

"The list this year is a 'teachable moment' conducted free of 'tweets,'" said a Word Banishment spokesman who was "chillaxin'" for the holidays. "'In these economic times', purging our language of 'toxic assets' is a 'stimulus' effort that's 'too big to fail.'"
http://www.lssu.edu/whats_new/articl...articleid=1905

And the latest words to be added to the OED were just announced:
http://www.oed.com/help/updates/latest-additions.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Thanks Nate, I'm going to chillax and read the OED entries, there are some interesting words on the list.

n.b. this is the first and last time I will ever use the word chillax. I'm surprised it wasn't banished sooner.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
And here comes the wannabe hipsters....
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-500
wheelhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Lake Superior State University has released its 35th annual List of Banished Words:
|CURMUDGEON| I would pay them to add "in [your/his/her/my/their] wheelhouse" to this. I'm getting tired of hearing this word. |/CURMUDGEON|
squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
One I've noticed in recent times is the usage of the word "pressurise/pressurize" or "pressurised/pressurized" to indicate coercion or making insistent demands of someone. I can't help but picture these poor people being pumped full of Helium until they burst

Another that really gets up my nose is the word "lighted" - it seems to be accepted as interchangeable nowadays with "lit" but I find it grating.

I know languages evolve, but I think sometimes we should remember 1984 and the goal of Newspeak? - double-plus-good...

P.S. Happy New Year to all fellow MR forum readers!

Last edited by orwell2k; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 AM.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Another that really gets up my nose is the word "lighted" - it seems to be accepted as interchangeable nowadays with "lit" but I find it grating.

I know languages evolve, but I think sometimes we should remember 1984 and the goal of Newspeak? - double-plus-good...
I agree that "lighted" sounds clunky in a vacuum. The phrase that instantly jumps to mind, though, is Hemingway's "Clean Well-Lighted Place," and he is known for having concise, clear prose. Somehow "A Clean, Well-Lit Place" doesn't have the same punch. Further, it was published in 1926, so maybe not Newspeak.
squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
bru
bru doesn't litterbru doesn't litter

Device: kindle
new word

I came across a new word a few days ago, seemed to be in common use from the (spoken) context but not yet documented - dysethnicsia - to describe the mixing up of people from different ethnic groups, or the lumping together of a range of ethnicities due to their similar appearance or similar sounding names of their nations, obviously inspired by dyslexia and dyspraxia..

Seems to fill a gap as can't think of another single English word that could take its place.. Wonder if anyone has seen it in print?
bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a little confused here ... what does this post have to do with a university's word list? And this thread died over a year ago ... why the necroposting?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm a little confused here ... what does this post have to do with a university's word list? And this thread died over a year ago ... why the necroposting?
What does the age of this thread have to do with it? Members are encouraged to seek out existing threads instead of always starting new ones.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What does the age of this thread have to do with it? Members are encouraged to seek out existing threads instead of always starting new ones.
In this case, rather a lot, since the topic was a list of words that were overused in 2009.

If it's the same topic, yes, it can make sense to continue an old thread (though this is not one of those forums that insists on it, possibly because nobody wants to read through 17 pages of discussion to find one new post). But if it's something different -- a post about a word, not about a university's list of out-of-date words, in this case -- there's no reason not to start a new thread for the new topic, and every reason not to recycle one about an out-of-date list of out-of-date words, which isn't the same topic.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
bru
bru doesn't litterbru doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
-- there's no reason not to start a new thread for the new topic, and every reason not to recycle one about an out-of-date list of out-of-date words, which isn't the same topic.
Have cross posted to the lounge in a new thread - just wanted to see if anyone else had heard (or read) it used in spoken or written language...

as this thread was the one that led me to this forum and this is the nearest matching topic of discussion thought I'd add it here.. apologies to Worldwalker for raising the dead

Last edited by bru; 03-23-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: eta: (or read) to tidy up language
bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru View Post
as this thread was the one that led me to this forum and this is the nearest matching topic of discussion thought I'd add it here.. apologies to Worldwalker for raising the dead
Don't worry about. You did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: ...and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it around here

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

As Tubemonkey said, welcome to the madhouse. I'm your unfriendly neighborhood curmudgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru View Post
Have cross posted to the lounge in a new thread - just wanted to see if anyone else had heard (or read) it used in spoken or written language.
There's nothing wrong with asking if people have seen it -- that's an interesting question. It's interesting enough to deserve its own thread, not just be tacked on to some discussion of an old list of annoying words.

Cross-posting, though, is bad. Don't do it.

Quote:
as this thread was the one that led me to this forum and this is the nearest matching topic of discussion thought I'd add it here.
There are forums where starting new threads is discouraged, sometimes virulently, and if there is some even remotely related thread, no matter how many years dead, you are expected to attach a post to that (and thereby make someone read the whole ancient thread, which I've never really gotten) rather than starting a new topic. Apparently, new topics are the domain of the favored few, who decide what the thread titles will be, and not newbies. MobileRead is not one of those forums. If you've got something new to say, slap a new thread up there and say it.

Trust me, we're used to new threads. We're used to them being new even when they shouldn't be, like all the people who don't bother to search to see if there's a fix for their particular device problem and just post a thread entitled "Help!" asking about it ... when they could have had an answer from a few moments at the search box. If we can live with those, a new thread for a new subject is not a problem at all. You don't have to post to "the nearest matching topic of discussion" -- if it's not the same, just "nearest", then clearly a new thread is needed.