Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
No one should leave 3G on their phone unless they plan on using it at that moment. Always switch to Edge when you do casual reading or playing with any of the games. Also switch off WiFi unless you are using it. They cut the battery time more than half. I can go all day at work with my iphone on (over 8 hours) if I don't use WiFi or watch any videos. I listen to music on and off and read a chapter at lunch. I keep the light setting on low, my cube is bright enough. Note that I have the EDGE phone and not the 3G.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
That means that you, the user, have to exercise careful battery management, and remember to turn certain things off. You will turn them back on to use them, of course, but if you are like me and many others, you will forget to turn them off. I have Verizon EV-DO on my MotoQ, and the phone switches to it automatically when I am in the right place. I can't turn if off without turning off the phone functions altogether. I normally get 6 to 7 hours of battery life, and EV-DO is faster than the iphone 3G. No one should have to do what you suggest to get decent battery life.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To get decent battery life, stop buying these do it all phones. The extra features like video, music, 3G, GPS, eBook reading etc are all going to kill the battery and when you actually do want to make a call, you'll be well and truly without battery. So just get a phone to be a phone. I would not want to be someplace where I needed to use my phone but because I was doing other things with my phone, I had no battery life left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
How can he miss the one feature that makes the iphone2 a truly deficient reader, namely the poor battery life? My wife played with one two days ago for a whole afternoon, with 3G on, and got barely three hours of battery life. You have to carry your charger all the time and be sure you are near an outlet. Not for me! And for me there is no comparison between reading a backlit lcd and eink, eink is far superior. I was all set to charge into the Apple store to buy the new iphone, when I started reading all these complaints about battery life. It's beautiful hardware, but I'll stick to my (far from perfect) MotoQ - with Skyfire beta installed, it can definitely hold its own as a browser. The RIM people must be delighted, this device will never make it as a business tool.
It's not just the 3G...I have an original iPhone and the battery has been worse since the 2.0 update. It didn't bother me too much, as I generally charge it nightly anyway, but it did cause me a problem this past weekend. I was at a rugby tournament and had to take a friend to the ER (she busted her shoulder when she got tackled), and I had to carefully manage the power on my phone to insure it didn't crap out on me while we were there. I couldn't take advantage of any of the things that make my iPhone fun, like music, ebooks, web surfing, etc. The signal was bad, and I couldn't turn it to airplane mode because our teammates were calling for updates, and I couldn't entertain myself while she was in xray because using the phone to read ebooks would have drained the battery...

And all I could think about was "As soon as we get home I am ordering a Kindle." (I haven't yet, but I will.)
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't own an iPhone, but if had I one, I wouldn't mind using it as an extra e-book reader. I would use it to complement my Sony Reader.

What would be great is to have a way to synchronize bookmarks of books from various devices... this way I could switch devices and still continue reading where I had previously stopped. Of course, there is also the problem with DRM, so I would need to be able to buy books that could be installed on multiple devices...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
apple, ereader, iphone