Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Calibre 2.39, Kobo H2O & Comics

Hi,

I just noticed something very weird, if I copy comics generated by Kindle Comic Converter (in kepub format) directly to the Kobo, they display perfectly, even manga's work without an issue, reading left to right or right to left, it all works.

If I however add those generated files to my Calibre shelf and then transfer it to the Kobo, the Kobo doesn't display it properly, the images are off center and in full screen mode there is even a bit on the right & bottom missing. Reading left-to-right also no longer works for the same file.

How do I fix this? My google-fu failed to net any results so far.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Did some more testing:

- Save To Disk (in .epub) format to Kobo: Messed up layout - no left to right reading
- Save To Disk (in .epub) format to Kobo + changing extension from .epub to .kepub.epub works, layout as expected & left to right reading
- Save to device (in .epub): Messed up layout - no left to right reading
- Save to device (in .epub) + changing the extension from .epub to .kepub.epub: Messed up layout - no left to right reading
Advert
Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Amon_Re
Zealot

Another update, changing the extension from kepub.epub to .kepub prior importing seems to solve the issue, now to get KCC to use that extension instead....
Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You don't explicitly state it, but I assume you are starting with a CBR or CBZ. If that is wrong, maybe the other comments will be.

My first question on this is always: Why are you converting? The Kobo ereaders handle both CBR and CBZ without any conversion. And you can zoom the images when reading.

Your last post tells me that KCC generates the file as ".kepub.epub" and expects you to send that to the device. When you add that to calibre, it is added as an epub. And any later processing is done as an epub. Sending that to the Kobo device will mean the device sees an epub. You need the double extension for it to be seen as a kepub. You could use the KoboTouchExtended driver to send it, and that will do the extension fixing.

I'm surprised that the formatting was different when the comic was sent as an epub instead of kepub. I can't think of what could be in the books code that would do this. It's been a whiles since I tried, but I have put a kepub in the device as an epub with no errors in formatting. Maybe it is something in the way the images are done.

When I tried KCC after the Kobo support was added, I couldn't convince myself it was better than the calibre conversion. Or just using CBR/CBZ. There is no way to turn the image resizing off, so that meant I had to generate a version for each Kobo device I have. And there is no way to generate a generic epub. And as kepubs support zooming, using the original images should work.

I should add that I don't read comics. I have done some playing with them on the Kobo devices in response to questions like yours and some bug reports. So, I might have missed something important for someone who does read a lot of comics.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You don't explicitly state it, but I assume you are starting with a CBR or CBZ. If that is wrong, maybe the other comments will be.
If CBZ are just plain archives of images without anything else, then yes. Basically I'm starting of with raw images only, that are laid out in a directory structure eg:
- Title
-- Chapter 1
--- Image 1
--- Image x
-- Chapter 2
--- Image 1
--- Image x
-- Chapter x

I can just zip these as 'cbz' but if those are valid 'CBZ' files... I don't know

Quote:
My first question on this is always: Why are you converting? The Kobo ereaders handle both CBR and CBZ without any conversion. And you can zoom the images when reading.
Mostly because that's what I did when I got my first Kindle, i'm used to working this way and I can enable 'manga' mode for left-to-right reading (and also, I can tell KCC to split spreads into 2 pages). I have no idea if (and how) Calibre can do that.

Quote:
Your last post tells me that KCC generates the file as ".kepub.epub" and expects you to send that to the device. When you add that to calibre, it is added as an epub. And any later processing is done as an epub. Sending that to the Kobo device will mean the device sees an epub. You need the double extension for it to be seen as a kepub. You could use the KoboTouchExtended driver to send it, and that will do the extension fixing.
Actually, even changing the extension back to .kepub.epub doesn't work, somehow something is changed within the file in flight.

Quote:
I'm surprised that the formatting was different when the comic was sent as an epub instead of kepub. I can't think of what could be in the books code that would do this. It's been a whiles since I tried, but I have put a kepub in the device as an epub with no errors in formatting. Maybe it is something in the way the images are done.
I'll try & pinpoint what changes in flight

Quote:
When I tried KCC after the Kobo support was added, I couldn't convince myself it was better than the calibre conversion. Or just using CBR/CBZ. There is no way to turn the image resizing off, so that meant I had to generate a version for each Kobo device I have. And there is no way to generate a generic epub. And as kepubs support zooming, using the original images should work.
The main advantage I see is the 'manga mode' that enables left-to-right reading.

Quote:
I should add that I don't read comics. I have done some playing with them on the Kobo devices in response to questions like yours and some bug reports. So, I might have missed something important for someone who does read a lot of comics.
There are sample files on the KCC site (Ubunchu manga, it's creative commons), in case that helps
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
If CBZ are just plain archives of images without anything else, then yes. Basically I'm starting of with raw images only, that are laid out in a directory structure eg:
- Title
-- Chapter 1
--- Image 1
--- Image x
-- Chapter 2
--- Image 1
--- Image x
-- Chapter x

I can just zip these as 'cbz' but if those are valid 'CBZ' files... I don't know
Yes, that is all a CBZ is. They can have an extra file with metadata, but the Kobo ereaders do not read this.
Quote:
Mostly because that's what I did when I got my first Kindle, i'm used to working this way and I can enable 'manga' mode for left-to-right reading (and also, I can tell KCC to split spreads into 2 pages). I have no idea if (and how) Calibre can do that.
The reading direction can be set in the database on the device, but there is no way to automate this at the moment. The two page split is not something that calibre can do.
Quote:
Actually, even changing the extension back to .kepub.epub doesn't work, somehow something is changed within the file in flight.

I'll try & pinpoint what changes in flight
From what you have said, I wouldn't expected this. I can't think of anything that would have made a change.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Interesting topic. I don't have access to any Kobo hardware so feedback is always welcome.

I don't have idea how Calibre parse kepub files so can't shed any light on this issue.

@davidfor - About lack of generic profiles. It is part of KCC design. It simply create content targeted for single e-reader model. Kindle simply need it to achieve maximum quality. Kobo might not require that so much.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle comic converter, kobo h2o