Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Downloading Adobe DRM protected content to Linux

OK... I think I can't delete this message myself, but I think that this question should have been asked to the 'Reading and Management' Forum, so you can consider this 'moved'.

I don't know if this is the right forum, so feel free to point me to a better place to ask this question...

So I got my first ereader yesterday, a BeBook One. It was one of those 'refurbished' ones, which seemed to me a good opportunity to find out if I like the 'ebook' experience, and which features I like or miss.

And yes, I already have discovered that I will 'upgrade' to something else in the past, but meanwhile I ran into another problem:

I have a linux-computer, and Adobe Digital Editions doesn't exist for that Operating system. I could get it working on Wine, and I can open the DRM protected books that I downloaded via the Windows computer of my husband and shared via DropBox, but I can't find a way to download Adobe DRM protected content directly to my Linux computer. Although I have autohorized my computer via Adobe Digital Editions, the Adobe Website doesn't seem to recognize my computer when browsing the web.

On the Sample eBook Library page of Adobe, the 'download'-button doesn't say download but had the text 'system requirements' on it, and it only brings me to an 'error' page.

Of course, I have the work-around of buying every single DRM-protected ePub on the computer of my husband, downloading it there, and then syncing my dropbox, but that is quite laborious... (although it could help not to let grow the mountain of to be read books to quickly!)

Anyone who can tell me how to download an DRM protected ePub to a Linux computer? (Although I use Linux, I'm not made of the geeky stuff...)

Last edited by AnneT; 06-25-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Moved to other forum
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT
I have a linux-computer, and Adobe Digital Editions doesn't exist for that Operating system. I could get it working on Wine, and I can open the DRM protected books that I downloaded via the Windows computer of my husband and shared via DropBox, but I can't find a way to download Adobe DRM protected content directly to my Linux computer. Although I have autohorized my computer via Adobe Digital Editions, the Adobe Website doesn't seem to recognize my computer when browsing the web.
If you have ADE working on Wine and it's authorized and able to view existing protected content, you're almost home free. The secret here, is "Wine app for a Wine app." If ADE is running under Wine, then the browser you're using to browse the web for content must also be running under Wine... or it won't work.

I'm assuming you have a browser and Flash running under Wine, as well—since that's the only way that I know of to download and install ADE on linux. If you do, use that Wine browser to find and download content.

In the off chance that you don't have a browser and Flash working under Wine... find the Windows installer of Firefox 3.5 (3.6 and higher seems to break junk) and install it under Wine. And then install Flash for Windows under Wine and you should be good to go.

Wine ADE + Wine Browser + Wine Flash = Yay!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Another option is to get VMWare player (which is free) and a pre-built Windows VM. Then you can do everything "in Windows" as a virtual machine under Linux.

I used to do this a lot when I first started using Linux to handle the few things that required Windows.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It is possible to have your regular web browser pass the the info "directly" to ADE under linux. Once you have ADE installed and working, you'll need to set it so the default app to open that is more or less wine, but add commandline options to have wine start ADE. There are a few ways to do this:

-You can set it in your Desktop environment. For instance, in KDE, if I've already downloaded a license file, I would right click on it and goto properties. Once in properties. I click the wrench button next to Type, and it opens a new window for edit File Type. Here, I click Add under Application Preference Order, and type in
Quote:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe"
. Now, any time the license file is opened, it should automatically open in ADE.

-You can also do the same, but specify it in your web browser. For instance, when you download in firefox, if it should ask you if you want to open it or save. If it does not, goto Edit>Preferences, and under the General tab, check the radio button for "Ask me where to save files". It most likely will not have any options, just a "Browse" button. Click on Browse, and a file dialog window will open. Click the textbox marked Location, and paste in the info from before. This should work and let you open in ADE.

Now, some things here and there may vary, depending on your particular install, but the same principals should apply.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only problem with that, Hellmark, is that depending on where you're downloading content from; if you're using your default linux browser, the website won't even let you get as far as trying to download. Those sites just tell me that I don't have ADE installed and must first install it before downloading.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only problem with that, Hellmark, is that depending on where you're downloading content from; if you're using your default linux browser, the website won't even let you get as far as trying to download. Those sites just tell me that I don't have ADE installed and must first install it before downloading.
Strange, I've never encountered that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Another option is to get VMWare player (which is free) and a pre-built Windows VM. Then you can do everything "in Windows" as a virtual machine under Linux.

I used to do this a lot when I first started using Linux to handle the few things that required Windows.
I second this suggestion (except I use Oracle's VirtualBox). VirtualBox and VMWare are two different virtualization systems that do the same thing. Before I tried it I didn't think it was worth the bother, now I love it and only boot into Windows for the few games I like that don't run under Wine or in a virtual machine.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You can use this link to download ade using linux Then, it runs on linux ok. Not sure about the "USB" part.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...igitaleditions
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote