Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Sinbad
Edge User

Smile Arabic Language Support in Pocket Edge Now!

Dear Edge/Pocket Edge Users,
I bought an Pocket Edge, and I like it much.But as I live in Egypt,
Many E-mails or webpages I see is in Arabic language.As I know Android is open source and highly customizable, the Android OS should allow me to see Arabic language in Search, E-mail and such.Unfortunately, it didn't because it still uses 1.6 version.

As the device is not rooted, I couldn't change the fonts files, After contacting Entourage Technical Support, They told me that no official way to do this currently, and I should wait for the Froyo version in the next January so the Arabic Language support will come naturally.

I like experiments , So I tried to root the device using many ways and I failed .The Debug password is correct, but when connecting using adb, I'm not the root user yet.Used the AndRoot Program and it fails to root the device.

Finally, I found a working solution at the end instead of just waiting.I downlaoded the offline update.zip file and replaced the files in it and re-zipped the files.Followed the Offline update procedure here and Voila! After restart the phone can show Arabic Letters.(It's not connected in the titles but it's fine for me until the next month) I hope.

Here are the files to replace:
-Fonts files, You can download them from here.(Replace in /system/fonts)
-Libwebcore.so file, You can download the 1.6 version from here
(Replace in /system/lib)

The file that contains the files to replace system2.zip in update.zip

So the update now is a double win for me, Arabic Language and Youtube works now!

Thanks,
Sinbad

Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Excellent!

Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
sjarrel
Edge User

Good work!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Welcome Sinbad. Another smart cookie joins the forums

Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
spot.ke@gmail.com
Edge User

when i do what you have mentioned it reads arabic but the wifi and ereader screen dont work please inform

Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
spot.ke@gmail.com
Edge User

is there any other solution because i am facing problems with your procedure which unable to connect to wifi and eareader screen does not work

Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

You should contact enTourage Tech Support (www.entourageedge.com/support). They should be able to help you completely reset your device back to the factory original state. This is the risk one takes when "hacking" a device

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
... I should wait for the Froyo version in the next January .....
Say what? January? Seriously? They said "JANUARY"???????????????

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Say what? January? Seriously? They said "JANUARY"???????????????
Admittedly, Sinbad made his post at the end of December, when we were indeed hoping for Froyo in January... Sigh. Now it's April if not later...

Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Admittedly, Sinbad made his post at the end of December, when we were indeed hoping for Froyo in January...
Phew! Good catch! I was wondering why no one else was freaking out over January. I didn't realize it was an old thread.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
alefor
Edge User

The devil is in the details..... I didn't see the date! Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Hopi
Edge User

I was about to ask "January what year?" (with 2012 in neon lights blinking on and off inside my head) when I noticed the date of the post.