Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #46
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshay View Post
Never mind, I can tell from five minutes with the lite version that I'm switching to Marvin.
Good choice.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #47
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
The Kobo app. I can't stand full justification on narrow screens -- and, let's face it, among modern smartphones, iPhones have amongst the narrowest. Kobo lets me have ragged-right margins (plus all the other cool features one might expect, and it syncs locations with my Kobo E Ink devices). It's just a few lines of code to allow users to turn off full justification, and Kobo and iBooks both offer that (for iBooks, the switch is hidden in the Settings app); I really wish Kindle would offer it, too.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #48
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
But thanks for the recommendation of Marvin; just bought the full version and am very impressed! Why can't Kindle give that sort of formatting control?
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #49
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I just went into the app store to download Marvin and discovered that I already have the full paid one. I don't remember buying it, so maybe it was free at some point and I snagged it to try it out. Nevertheless, thumbs up! Great app!
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #50
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Is anybody syncing books between two devices with Marvin? Does it work OK, even if you are offline when reading?

I'm still using iBooks, but lately syncing has been very bad, it keeps sending me back in the book, in one case it even sent me back to the beginning.

I must add that I'm mostly reading on the underground train, where there is practically no 3G, so syncing anything has always been a big issue for me because apps have troubles dealing with this. But iBooks was not doing too bad until recently.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #51
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Is anybody syncing books between two devices with Marvin? Does it work OK, even if you are offline when reading?
It works best if you download the book to both devices prior to opening. If you download it to one device after you start reading on another, it usually syncs to the beginning of the chapter instead of the page that you are reading.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It works pretty well. I've noticed that sometime the sync can be slightly off, especially if you are reading from devices with different screen sizes, but it's normally right on.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #53
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
It works best if you download the book to both devices prior to opening. If you download it to one device after you start reading on another, it usually syncs to the beginning of the chapter instead of the page that you are reading.
This. I made the mistake of not doing that before and it was a pain in the butt. Neither would sync with the other in any sensible way.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #54
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I actually learned that from someone here; but, unfortunately, I don't remember who posted it.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #55
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
Thanks, that's useful info. But in this case the book had been on both devices for a while. Oh well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it works more often that it doesn't.

What annoyed me though was re-opening a book that I had put aside for several months and finding myself back at the beginning. After all this time I couldn't remember where I had left off and had to pick a spot at random. I think now that I am reading pages that I hadn't read the first time, but I'm not positive (there is some repetition in the book).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #56
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Inspired by this thread I read about the Marvin app. I found out that it would be possible to define yout own online dictionary.

I bought the marvin app. and now I have a translation dictionary .

I read a lot of English books, and I have really really wanted an English-Danish translation dictionary, and now I have it.

For the benefit of other Danish readers here is what I did.

1) Become a customer of www.ordbogen.com. (I was that)

2) In Marvin set up "Other online dictionary" (see the online tutorial) and specify this command:

http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={define}&dict=enda

svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote