Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
I've had this issue since the Glo updated to 2.6.1., but a little while ago everything locked up altogether and the page refused to turn. I managed to get something to happen by putting it into sleep and then waking up again, but then it locked up again. My husband's Glo has locked up a few times now, usually when playing Sudoku.

I've just done a factory reset, but when I connected to Kobo Desktop it appeared to be syncing again, and lo and behold, I am back to 2.6.1 instead of 2.5.1. I will see how it goes, and then try again to revert to the old version where everything worked fine.
The update to 2.6.1 is normal behaviour. What you will need to do is to download the 2.5.1 firmware from the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 ).

Unpack the .zip file and save it in a convenient location. Do the factory reset and connect your Glo to your computer for the setup and so forth. DO NOT EJECT the Glo when the desktop software is done.

Locate the internal storage of your Glo and open the .kobo directory. Inside that directory, delete the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files. Replace them with the ones from the .zip file that you saved earlier.

Eject your Glo and let it install the firmware and you will be back on 2.5.1. Do not let your Glo sync over WiFi. When you use the desktop software to sync, it will download the 2.6.1 update so you will need to delete the directory and files before disconnecting each time.

Do not try installing the 2.5.1 firmware over the 2.6.1 firmware unless you are fond of "interesting results". You need the factory reset to revert to the factory firmware and database before downgrading to 2.5.1.

Good luck,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-30-2013 at 02:19 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #32
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks, David. I will try that, but I am fairly new to e-readers and I am not familiar with all the stuff you guys get up to with them! My mind is in a blur with 'sideloading' and such. I need to read up a bit more on things.

One question: do I need to start Kobo Desktop? That was where my plan seemed to go wrong.
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have Kobo Touch from first month they were available enduring many firmware updates that often affect page turns for better or worse. When you touch or tap left or right side to turn page, your finger is blocking Infrared beam of invisible light. A firm or hard press does not affect page turns but might damage screen. Size does not matter as I have touched screen with objects from 3mm to 24mm diameter getting reliable page turns. ...
In theory I think this makes sense, but in practice, I have my doubts.

I just tried tapping (to turn a page) using the flat of my thumb, and it was very unreliable, ~70% success rate; using the tip of my thumb, 100%. To me , the shape of the area looks the same, so it is size related?

I just "pressed hard" with the tip of my pointer finger, and had a very difficult time turning pages, ~20% success rate; A light press, ~100%. Again, I'm assuming this is size related (I tried to do a quick long press and a slower light press to eliminate the time differences).

YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
Thanks, David. I will try that, but I am fairly new to e-readers and I am not familiar with all the stuff you guys get up to with them! My mind is in a blur with 'sideloading' and such. I need to read up a bit more on things.

One question: do I need to start Kobo Desktop? That was where my plan seemed to go wrong.
Yes. Once you do the factory reset, connect to the Kobo Desktop. This will allow registering, downloading any books you have from the Kobo bookstore, etc. The key is when the Kobo Desktop pops up the continue or eject choice, choose continue to leave your ereader connected to the computer so you can do the file replacement.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well, I haven't got round to sorting this yet, as things seem to be a bit better. Not completely cured, but better. Occasionally the page needs two taps, but sometimes I try a swipe and that works. No more lock-ups (touch wood), on either mine or hubby's Glo, since the factory reset, so I think I will see how it goes.
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #36
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I got this "bug" on my Touch all the time, Peter. I've only noticed it once or twice on my Aura.

I generally use the document default for a font, but my font size is larger than the standard (thank you, dumb eyes). I don't know if there was a difference because of that or not--I never used a smaller font.

For a while, I wondered if it might be connected to battery life--it seemed to happen more often when my battery was approaching 50% or lower. But that may have just been me noticing it more, not necessarily that that it was actually happening more.

My husband has a Touch and he reads with a significantly smaller font than I do. I'll ask him if he's ever experienced it.

Edit: Asked hubby; he never changes his font, and he says as far as he can recall, he may have experienced this "once or twice".

So, not sure how helpful all that info is, but I've at least fulfilled my usual job of providing data. =P

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 07-08-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I'm not sure this is a bug as much as an artifact of the screen design. I've found that swiping with my thumb works better than a press, and tapping with my index finger is more reliable still. I've observed that the smaller the diameter of the thing used to tap (within reason), the more reliable it is. Tapping with the side of my thumb, which is the most natural way for me, is the least reliable.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I'm not sure this is a bug as much as an artifact of the screen design...
I've wondered about that too, but there are too many people who swear that it didn't happen on their Glo with specific firmware versions. Also, the Aura HD doesn't have the same screen as the Glo, but it happens on it also, and the same firmware is used, so that's a good case for suspiciously eyeing the software end of things.
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I get this too, on my Mini. I first thought it was a matter of not being used to touchscreens, but even when I'm very consistent with how I tap it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I just expect to have to go back a page on a regular basis.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote