Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Pocketbook 301 pdf pages turning problem

Hi
It seems a software problem: pdf pages only turn forward regardless of what buttons I am pushing - forward or back. To go back I have to use the "go-to-page" control.
Other files tested so far work as supposed.
This happens with the pdfs in reflow mode.
Has someone else experience the same problem?
(I have the latest firmware installed)

Yes, I checked the button mapping. And again, the "back" button works with prc, fb2, etc.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The application used to read pdfs is different from that used to read prc, fb2. I don't know which one you already used but try the other one.

Highlight your pdf in the bookshelf list (not the Recently Read list). Press and hold OK, then pick 'Open with' from the mini-menu. You should have a choice of AdobeViewer or pdfviewer.

[Edit: I've just noticed you said you had a PB301. I don't know whether 'press & hold OK button' is the correct way to select the mini-menu on a 301.]

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

This happens when I am using Adobe Viewer in reflow mode. This is a children's book with pictures, and Adobe Viewer is the only option for this file that works.
Without reflow it's too slow, and
the Pdf Viewer shows distortions and just looks ugly.

Well, I know that pdfs are always a problem. Just trying to find out more statistics from other users to figure out the best reading formats (just started with e-readers)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
do you have a link for downloading the book?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
chuckz
Enthusiast

It's a self-made book
but
the general bug in the 15.2 software update has been knows
as it follows from the discussions on the Russian forum.
(The same bug happens with the official Pockerbook Guide pdf file)
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
A Different Problem: Me and Page Advance on my 301- A Saga

Using firmware 15.1 that was pre-installed on my 301 purchased in May, I soon had problems with page advance and reverse not working at times. It happens for several book formats including .ePUB [non-DRM]. The LED blinked but the page didn't forward sometimes [maybe 1:5 times] Calling up the pop-up then immediately closing it temporarily cured the page freeze.

The Pocketbook USA technical staff suggested I reset/rebuild my system. I did that. The problem was much reduced for a time. When 15.2 became available I upgraded [Hope springs eternal]. I still have the problem but much less often [maybe 1:20]. The page forward/reverse failure behavior happens the same way. I suspect it is a different cause from the PDF page change bug discussed in this thread.

When I reported the problem to the USA technical folks, they said if resetting didn't fix my problem I would then need to send my reader in so they could examine it. I haven't done that nor have I reset/rebuilt my 301 again because the problem hasn't reached my tolerance level YET. I will do the rebuild again in a few days. Writing this post has overridden my procrastination. If reset/rebuild doesn't eliminate the problem, my fears will have been realized. I then must give up my 301 for a while. I don't want to be without the use of the reader. I am fearful of withdrawal symptoms.

Because the LED blinks even if the page doesn't change the tech folks said it isn't a hardware problem. I will HAVE to deal with this issue. The warranty is only 2 years.

There is hope for me & the reader yet.

I am replacing my wife's Sony 500 with a new Pearl-based Sony e-ink screen model very soon. Then I will be able [at least] to use her Sony 500 while I send my 301 to the Pocketbook hospital. Unfortunately, my patient visits will be limited to email.Mabe a webcam can be arranged.Yes, I am addicted to Ereading [new word?]but use of the Sony 500 will be palliative. If Pocketbook offered the new Pearl e-ink screen, I would replace my wife's Sony with a Pocketbook, but I don't wish to wait for that availability.

That's the saga/story of my irrational response to a problem with my addictive gadget. Is Mobilread group therapy for that addiction?

If anybody has suggestions of things I might try [I don't want to go to 14.2 firmware] to help identify the cause of the problem please SUGGEST.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
chuckz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
That's the saga/story of my irrational response to a problem with my addictive gadget. Is Mobilread group therapy for that addiction?
Wow, you are taking this really seriously!
Hopefully the new firmware will fix some bugs. Only, 2 years warranty might be more generous than needed in this era of geometrically progressing technology.
Before it's over we'll be craving for a new gadget with (presumably) better features - and more worries about bugs that make it unreliable.

Nothing is reliable and constant except of our permanent switching from one addiction to another (BTW, I am reading philosophy on my device...)