Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
sybarite
sybarite began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 6220c
some qestions and suggests

1- I think the browser of books by their covers isnt useful at all.it seems is for fun .please look at "Alfa Ebooks Manager Demo" , the cover browsing is useful for open the book , show a bit details
2- when i fetch metadata for a book , the tag part isnt very nice . e.g for some CCNP books , the tag part contains certification , cisco ,.... ; but no "CCNP" tag.
does the tag part dependent to fetching data from server ? or it is full manually inputing? How specify bokk tags?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The tags are brought in with the rest of the metadata you fetch from the server. To turn this off, click on Preferences, and uncheck the box that says "Download social metadata by default." This will allow you to use you to type in your own ratings and tags.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
sybarite

thx polly
but i need to understand how auto tag from name of books . can i doing it by scripts or plugins?
I suggest to creator of calibre that put some ability into cover browsing e.g view the book and a bit data book info (author under name of book)
Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
thx polly
but i need to understand how auto tag from name of books . can i doing it by scripts or plugins?
You want to create tags from the filename of the book? Do you want to do this when you import the book?

Quote:
I suggest to creator of calibre that put some ability into cover browsing e.g view the book and a bit data book info (author under name of book)
Click the info area at the bottom of the GUI , then scroll through the info screen that pops up.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
sybarite

quest 2 :
any time i find a book at some formats , as added its ability in edit window.I need sometimes to see the properties of files to compare (pdf or chm properties), hashes ,... and other ... .
Is in calibre environment this ability that get the properties of any book. if not I suggest and please put it to edit window.

quest 3:
at first term that i used the calibre , it was very very difficulty : accustom to calibre native saving method!( " author organize instead genre or my own organize" ).
although in the "saving in disk menu" and at preference i can change it to book name>Author>...
in fact i tried it , but it WAS NOT my solution . in fact i accustomed with my_own_genre>Author . i.g : Network>CCNA>Odom>...

then because tag/searching was very useful to find an expression or hybrid / multi , in mind , i believe and trust calibre . and using it
i dont know how it work and where it searching . tags only? name of books , or ?
i dont read advanced searching statements . perhaps when i read it , i understand how it work and where searching .
tag searching is only and best reason for leave past accustom.
please put this ability that we can searching in all of tags, names, dates, stars , and... .
even , if possible , in contain of books. Is it possible?

quest 4:
i dont find the infobox about site of books, size of books files and pages
it is very useful . please put this info in next versions.
quest 5 :
ISBN's
yes . please put an infobox both of ISBN's formats : 10/13
dont mistake . i know the textbox of isbn is enough and it is long numeric textbox.
but i suggest put 2 isbn numbox that only enough for 10 and 13 numeric characters.

quest 6:
Is it possible that in " saving to disk " and preference we can choose Genre.the genre in this part dont harm to native goals of calibre. because the calibre doing its work. and genre is a power adjunct for calibre and any body that want to save books in more selctions.please put a text box naming Genre for any book.

quest 7:
the series : waht it means? the classified of books? or binding?
books uses both of them. and dont according to themselves.
in here i have some books with same name and some bindings.e.g : ccna binding 1, 2,3
and i have some books with differ name but in same classified.e.g :MCSE's self-paced(70-270, 70-291, ....)
and i have some books in combined series - bindings :
MCSE's self-paced 70-270 part1 ,70-720 part2 ,,,,
MCSE's self-paced 70-290
MCSE's self-paced 70-291 part1, 70-270 part2 ,,,,
I want to organize them.
please separate the binding and classified.

----------------------------------------
thanks a lot for reading

Last edited by sybarite; 03-26-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Series" is for books that exist in multiple volumes, whether they have the same name or different names. For example, imagine that the following books existed for some hypothetical product -- we'll call it SuperStuff:

SuperStuff User Guide Vol. 1
SuperStuff User Guide Vol. 2
SuperStuff Power User Guide
SuperStuff API Reference

You could create a series called "SuperStuff Manuals" and then make those books number 1 through 4 in that series. If a book named "SuperStuff Power User Guide Part 2" came out later, you could make that number 3.5, so it would fit in between 3 and 4.

I'm really not sure what you mean by "binding". In English, that usually refers to whether a book is hardcover, paperback, etc., but obviously that doesn't mean anything for eBooks. Could you explain a little more clearly? (or just explain in whatever your primary language is, and I'll run off to Google Translate if I can't read it).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
sybarite

thx worldwalker
now i know binding means cover type.
i did think binding means volumes and parts , the continued series .e.g : the course of ccna needs to 2000 pages.the cisco press divide it to 2 or 3 parts.
in other case this course have 2 class . icnd1(ccent) and icnd2.icnd 2 is continued of icnd1. what means this? classified?
really i have some books about ccna course. o'really press published it in some volumes without attend to its 2 classes.all of concepts covered in 2 vol.
but cisco press published it in 2 vol. ccna icnd1 and ccna icnd2. they are adjunct .and you can pass first icnd 1 then icnd 2.
really i have mcse's courses books . they are 10 books called self-paced .thay are some courses .some courses published in 1 part .e.g :70-270 ,700 pages., but other published in 2 or 3 parts and volumes. e.g : 70-291 vol1.70-291 vol2.
how can i organize them?
do i called them " MCSE 2003 Self-Paced ", and then numbered them 1 to 10?
but i want separate them in this state :
all of them called in series : MCSE 2003 Self-Paced
70-270 no needs to numbered , i want to could leave it to blank text
70-291 is in 2 vols. i want to could called it to vol1. vol2 . instead of only numbering system.
the series must be classified and the number must be vols.
this system is closed to satate of publishing rather than the cuurent state series in calibre.
in my ccna example :
i can doing it for O'really press :
i leave the classified blank . because this books have not any class but having and published in 2 vols
then in volumes textbox i can nominate any of them in their separate vols.
in calibre we must nominate the volumes in " name of book: textbox
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
sybarite

no any developer want to answer my questions? or hear my suggestions?