Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast
monkeyhihi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Cannot edit text in Book Designer. Help?

I've used BD in the past to make my .lrf files for my reader, but recently, I haven't been able to highlight or edit any text.

Has this happened to anyone? Could someone help me?
monkeyhihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BD has two modes, editor and reader. It sounds like you have somehow gotten into reader mode.

Under Configuration on the menu bar select Editor/Reader Mode. That should flip you back to editor.

PS: I deleted the duplicate post in Reader Troubleshooting.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

That's quite alright about the deleting.

The problem is though, it is in editor mode.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

The problem is... I am in edit mode.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

>_<

I can't make any files, and this stinks.
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is everything else on your machine working fine? Can you highlight and edit text in other applications? Have you recently changed anything on your system? Have you installed or removed any programs ? Have you used a Registry cleaner? Have you removed and reinstalled BookDesigner?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

Yup. I can highlight, select, in other programs
Everything's working fine.
I haven't changed anything, nor restarted.
Registry cleaner? Nope.
I've removed, repaired, deleted, reinstalled Book Designer multiple times since it's stopped working.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

Gah. While BD isn't working, is there some sort of program close to it, with about the same (or more, maybe) level of functionality?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhihi View Post
Gah. While BD isn't working, is there some sort of program close to it, with about the same (or more, maybe) level of functionality?
You could use lipbrs500 to deal with your content. It's not wysiwyg unless your HTML editor is.

What OS do you run? What happens when you start BD and then empty the book and then start over? Another thing to try to see if it may be your setup is to run in safe mode. Then try BD and see if it works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

I'm using XP Professional on an iMac w/ Bootcamp.
When I start it, empty the book, and start a new file, I'm taunted with a "Start to Type here" message, and then I can't type or highlight anything.
I'm not in safe mode. I could try restarting in safe mode, and then start normally, and see if that helps.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhihi View Post
I'm using XP Professional on an iMac w/ Bootcamp.
When I start it, empty the book, and start a new file, I'm taunted with a "Start to Type here" message, and then I can't type or highlight anything.
I'm not in safe mode. I could try restarting in safe mode, and then start normally, and see if that helps.
Don't go to safe mode and then to normal. Go to safe mode and then run BD and try it. Safe mode runs nothing on startup unless you select safe mode with network support. If BD then lets you type and highlight and seems to work, then you know the problem is with something that loads when you start in normal mode.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
i cant get it to add page breaks properly ...
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
monkeyhihi
Enthusiast

You can't start BD in safe mode, sadly.

Because it uses the .msi file to startup, and because Safe mode can't use windows installer, it won't work.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer

This is very strange as I have no MSI file on my system for BookDesigner.

As I understood it, Jon was talking about running BD in safe mode, not installing it in safe mode.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
This is very strange as I have no MSI file on my system for BookDesigner.

As I understood it, Jon was talking about running BD in safe mode, not installing it in safe mode.
You understand correctly. I did mean to run it in safe mode. If it works, then we know it's a problem with something that loads when in normal mode.