Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
plugboard file renaming isn't working

I got a couple of books in a new series. I carefully edited the metadata to show the series name and number.

I have a plugboard defined as follows for any device, any format

{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

This usually renames the books:

Series Name 01 Book Title

When I put the book on my Kindle (k3)

I haven't changed anything since the last time I created a series of books, but this time when I did a mobi > mobi conversion, the books show up as Book Title in my kindle collection, with no series information at all.

Why has it stopped working?

I'm using Calibre 0.9.14 on Win 7.

Please help! What am I doing wrong?

ETA: oh, yeah - the one change I've made is to the Output options: Kindle file type is now Both, and Personal Doc Tag is EBOK. would either of those changes mess with my renaming plugboard?

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-18-2013 at 07:55 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
ETA: oh, yeah - the one change I've made is to the Output options: Kindle file type is now Both
Plugboards don't rename the file but change the metadata. You have zeroed in on your problem, plugboards don't work on books created as "both".

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-18-2013 at 08:19 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So should I set it to "old" or "new"?

And thanks - I didn't realize that was the issue. (and it was only as an afterthought that I included that ETA bit!)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So should I set it to "old" or "new"?
The below is from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are creating "joint" mobi files with both kf8 and mobi 6 plugboards will not work. Use azw3 or standalone mobi.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I set the kindle file type to Old, and now it works just wonderfully. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you read on a device that supports KF8, I'd suggest making AZW3 yoUr default output format, rather than Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

any reason why, Harry?

I don't really care what the format is, as long as the renaming plugboard will work - it's the only way I can keep track of series.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
any reason why, Harry?

I don't really care what the format is, as long as the renaming plugboard will work - it's the only way I can keep track of series.
It's a "richer" format. Books in AWZ3 format support more complex formatting - embedded fonts, drop caps, etc. Of course a particular book may not use such formatting, but if it does (eg in an ePub), AWZ3 will preserve the formatting, whereas Mobi won't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote