Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
IKTF -
I like these little e-book readers but the less I have to deal with Amazon the better.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Without flat-out telling me my K2 has been abandoned/is unsupported, Customer Service strongly suggested that I should think about upgrading my hardware (I didn't tell them I've already upgraded multiple times).

A letter sent to the Bezos address suggesting that official notification that 1st and 2nd generation Kindles can no longer be registered should be made public, confirmed to my satisfaction (without officially confirming, of course) that these devices have been abandoned.

So that's it. If your K1, K2, DX is currently working, don't de-register or factory reset it. It probably won't be able to re-register.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But what about the K3/KK and the K4?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what about the K3/KK and the K4?
Since they won't come clean about which devices are affected, your guess is good as anybody's. Only way to find out is to deregister and see if you can re-register. Classy, huh?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A letter sent to the Bezos address suggesting that official notification that 1st and 2nd generation Kindles can no longer be registered should be made public, confirmed to my satisfaction (without officially confirming, of course) that these devices have been abandoned.
Could you explain this a bit more? Whose letter? Was there a response or is something being inferred from a lack of response?

(I just saw that you posted it in another thread. Thanks!)

---

Added:

The timing on this is bad. Amazon is in the process of stopping Kindle for PC from being used to access purchased books in a usable format. I have been suggesting that people buy a used Kindle to work around this.

If true, it will drop the market value of used older Kindles.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2017 at 07:14 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Woot.com was recently (Jan 2017) selling the K4. Amazon owns Woot. So why would Amazon sell a Kindle that cannot be used at Amazon?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Could you explain this a bit more? Whose letter? Was there a response or is something being inferred from a lack of response?
Sorry for any confusion. I meant My letter.
Details (including the response can be found here).

Quote:
Added:

The timing on this is bad. Amazon is in the process of stopping Kindle for PC from being used to access purchased books in a usable format. I have been suggesting that people buy a used Kindle to work around this.

I still have a Kindle Keyboard (which should be the oldest device capable of supporting KF8) which is registered and seems to still function normally (but then again, so did my K2 until I voluntarily deregistered it). I'm not about to push my luck and see if it can be registered again!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-09-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Thanks.

(And thanks for taking one for the team.)

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2017 at 07:22 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(And thanks for taking one for the team.)
Small sacrifice. As I said, I don't use the device--what with it being mobi-only, and all.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for any confusion. I meant My letter.
Details (including the response can be found here).
- - - - -
That reply is very interestingly worded.

One could almost quote it as reason that Amazon should be recalling those older devices that are, by design, not up to current Amazon requirements.

Recalled with a full refund of the purchase price or equivalent Amazon credit.
(Let me see now, how many "Kindle Basics" can I trade in my DXG for? Three? Four?)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Since they won't come clean about which devices are affected, your guess is good as anybody's. Only way to find out is to deregister and see if you can re-register. Classy, huh?
Quote:

I can but wonder; is this just an example of devices reaching the end of their useful lives, which happens, or is this Amazon taking more steps to lock down the Kindle store by eliminating a remaining work-around?

In any case, while it's truly not schadenfreude, I never felt as if I had that marvelous CS from Amazon which has been cited so frequently. Just another company in my experience.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Small sacrifice. As I said, I don't use the device--what with it being mobi-only, and all.
Maybe not, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=198742

Ignore the big red warning and just try it out.
It may work well enough to meet your needs.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I have no opinion on whether it's a concerted effort on Amazon's part to strengthen their lock-in. It could just be unfortunate bad timing for all I know.. As I said in my letter to not-really-jeff-bezos: I have no problem with older devices being phased out. I just wish they would be more up-front about it, rather than having CS walk users through a factory reset and then suggesting they may have to upgrade to new hardware (when they know full-well the device won't be able to be re-registered). All I want is for them to publically announce exactly which older devices are on the can't-be-registered chopping-block so people can make informed decisions.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-09-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Maybe not, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=198742

Ignore the big red warning and just try it out.
It may work well enough to meet your needs.
Thanks. Maybe when I have some free time. I don't really have any need for the device, though. I only dug it out of the closet to see if the (de)registration issues others were reporting were user errors or something larger.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-09-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I still have a Kindle Keyboard (which should be the oldest device capable of supporting KF8) which is registered and seems to still function normally (but then again, so did my K2 until I voluntarily deregistered it). I'm not about to push my luck and see if it can be registered again!
FYI, I just dug out an old WiFi+3G Kindle 3 (later Kindle Keyboard) that wasn't currently registered and was able to register it to my account just fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote