Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
OK -- I'm about ready to downgrade the firmware

My Pocketbook reboots itself at least once a day as I'm reading a book and turning a page. And it loses my place every time! I'm ready to downgrade the firmware and although I've read quite a bit here, I'm unsure exactly how to do it. Do I have to have an SD card? Or can I replace files directly on the reader?

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I'm getting close to downgrading as well, for the same reasons as you.

I've not downgraded before, but I have read that you can upgrade (so I'm guessing downgrade as well) by putting the firmware update in your reader's root directory and then performing the up/downgrade. Also you need to have it plugged in as if you're charging it.

Maybe wait for someone else to confirm that, though. I did upgrade my firmware originally by putting the firmware update in my root directory because I didn't have an SDHC card. It worked perfectly.

If you're going to do that, make sure you don't already have another firmware version in the same directory.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
I am also going back, did several times before.

Just copy the SWUPDATE.BIN into the internal memory. Not into any folder just to the root.
Replace the other update file or delete it before, it does not matter.

Then start the update(downgrade) as usual
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The downgrade works just the same as the upgrade. Unlike an upgrade, however, it did keep my Adobe authorization in tact, so I didn't have to waste another slot re-authorizing it.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry -- where do I find the instructions to "update (downgrade) as usual"? Thanks for the help!
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Sorry -- where do I find the instructions to "update (downgrade) as usual"? Thanks for the help!

here

1. connect to power
2. switch off
3. while switching on, hold "ok" and "upper large" key until message appears on screen.
4. When "Press ok to start update" appears then ..... press ok.
5. wait........until it reboots itself
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
maxbookworm
Addict

Well that was easy! Thanks so much for the help!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
See "Bookmark glitches" thread. "Rebooting" (rather than "crashing" or "freezing") sounds like the right term (finally!) for my problem, too. But as I said I have had it with PB 360 14.2, never upgraded to 15. That's why I've sent it back. From what I've read here it's either a hardware problem or the firmware (14.2 as well as 15.x) is not able to read the uploaded files properly or consistently. If it's the latter, I hope the firmware can be fixed because otherwise we would have to "clean" each file before we upload it to the reader (and I am hope doremifaso will tell us how to that...).
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
See "Bookmark glitches" thread. "Rebooting" (rather than "crashing" or "freezing") sounds like the right term (finally!) for my problem, too. But as I said I have had it with PB 360 14.2, never upgraded to 15. That's why I've sent it back. From what I've read here it's either a hardware problem or the firmware (14.2 as well as 15.x) is not able to read the uploaded files properly or consistently. If it's the latter, I hope the firmware can be fixed because otherwise we would have to "clean" each file before we upload it to the reader (and I am hope doremifaso will tell us how to that...).
I don't see that problem. I rearrange nearly all my books using Calibre (thanks Kovid) and all of them can be read with the 360°.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I don't see that problem. I rearrange nearly all my books using Calibre (thanks Kovid) and all of them can be read with the 360°.
I don't see it either.
I don't see it with commercial epubs from Baen, PD epubs from the Black Mask collection, epubs or mobi from Mobileread, or stuff I create myself with Calibre or Mobi Creator.

In fact, I never had 14.2 or FBreader180 (Or even AdobeReader, though I rarely used it before the userstyle hack) crash or freeze or reboot or do anything abnormal with any file I've been able to find or make. That you may have found a possible chink in the armor is not something to be readily dismissed. But I think the Guys In Kiev are going to need more detail if this is in fact a bug in *both* of the reader apps.

If Doremifaso is right, and the issue goes back to the source files, then it would help to know where the things come from and how they were made that they include "unclean" coding. For a "bug" to be fixed it needs to be precisely identified; you might want to submit a bug report with a sample file identifying the provenance and (if possible) the tool that created it.

Most odd.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have made my ebooks with Calibre too. Yes, I had the problem with AdobeViewer as well as with FBreader. One of the books I was reading was this. I don't remember whether I downloaded it as epub or (more likely) as PDF and then converted it to epub with Calibre.

Bug report, sample file, etc. -- surely you jest. I paid 240 euros for the thing and I expect it to work. Otherwise they can offer to pay ME if they want to hire me to help them find their bugs!

So far my dealings with PB and PBgoods have been fine. I will continue to report (for free!) on how things develop.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I don't see it either.
I don't see it with commercial epubs from Baen, PD epubs from the Black Mask collection, epubs or mobi from Mobileread, or stuff I create myself with Calibre or Mobi Creator.

In fact, I never had 14.2 or FBreader180 (Or even AdobeReader, though I rarely used it before the userstyle hack) crash or freeze or reboot or do anything abnormal with any file I've been able to find or make. That you may have found a possible chink in the armor is not something to be readily dismissed. But I think the Guys In Kiev are going to need more detail if this is in fact a bug in *both* of the reader apps.

If Doremifaso is right, and the issue goes back to the source files, then it would help to know where the things come from and how they were made that they include "unclean" coding. For a "bug" to be fixed it needs to be precisely identified; you might want to submit a bug report with a sample file identifying the provenance and (if possible) the tool that created it.

Most odd.
I've never had problems with 14.2 either.
But 15.2 crashes about twice per day. I'm not entirely sure yet, but I guess it's still worth it. I'm using DeDRMed ePUBs mainly.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict

Then I'm really curious what the PB folks will have to say about my 360 that I returned to them 9 days ago. I seem to remember that when I checked, the firmware installed ended with "14.2" but the beginning of that long number had a "101" in it. Is it possible that they mistakenly installed the firmware for the 301 or 302 instead of 360? Because the problem I was having sounds exactly like what maxbookworm and mgmueller describe above (spontaneous rebooting and loss of place), although I think they are both talking about 15.2. Is that right? I seem to be the only one who has had this trouble with PB 360 and 14.2, which is why I sent it back for repair.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Then I'm really curious what the PB folks will have to say about my 360 that I returned to them 9 days ago. I seem to remember that when I checked, the firmware installed ended with "14.2" but the beginning of that long number had a "101" in it. Is it possible that they mistakenly installed the firmware for the 301 or 302 instead of 360? Because the problem I was having sounds exactly like what maxbookworm and mgmueller describe above (spontaneous rebooting and loss of place), although I think they are both talking about 15.2. Is that right? I seem to be the only one who has had this trouble with PB 360 and 14.2, which is why I sent it back for repair.
I'll ask our technician, but this could only have happened if there was a manual installation. Mostly, FW installation is done automatically so probability of your theory is next to nil.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
mdmorrissey
Addict

I got it back today. What I remembered was the Configuration: Model PB 101, Software version D101.15.2. It was the "101" that was confusing me. The note from PB says they deleted everything and installed "360.15.2," and could not find a hardware defect. That means I was having the problem with no hardware defect and version 14.2 (which is what I had before). Now I have 15.2, which people here say has the problem I was describing with 14.2. I have uploaded the same books I was reading before, and hope that the problem does not recur -- although pocketbook.de still has only 14.2 available for download and everybody here says 14.2 is "rock solid." So I don't know if I am better off now with 15.2 or not. I guess I'll find out. In any case, I trust that when the new improved version of 15.x appears it will be announced. And if it really is a problem with "dirty" files, I hope someone will provide us with a clue as to how to clean them up.