Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What Additional Function would you like to see in your reader?

In addition to being able to read printed material, annotate and bookmark, what additional function would you like to see in an e-book reader?

For me, it would be the ability to write and store what I've written in separate files. It wouldn't even have to be anything fancy; a simple notepad function would be super.

What would you like to see?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
an organizer/daily planner function with sony touch edition would have been really nice.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I'd like a good search, and ability to use a cached copy of wikipedia.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
A very simple email client would be the icing on the cake

(for those ereaders with 802.11)
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I want a replacement for my Newton MessagePad.

- I need to be able to take notes and make sketches, which can then transfer to my PC w/ curves as curves, lines as lines, shapes as shapes &c., and the ability to recognize writing to text
- I want the ability to manipulate words and numbers and perform calculations --- programmability would be nice as well
- agree w/ lev that daily organizer / planner features are essential
- good support for reference materials (esp. a thesaurus) would be good as well

Some facility for multi-tasking so that one can consult a reference while working on something else would be an obvious add-on.

All of the above is why I carry around a Fujitsu Stylistic, but while the colour and the large screen is nice, I want a unit which will fit into a pocket (The Sony PRS-505 is the perfect size for me and fits into pockets in all of my favourite shirts and pants) and not be tethered to a wall outlet (the Stylistic, w/ the long life battery won't quite make it through an entire day).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
10" or bigger color screen--can be LCD

Touch screen with great stylus support for highlighting, writing notes in the margins, taking notes in meetings etc.

PDA functions.

Web browsing and e-mail.

Those are key--but really I'm talking about a tablet device rather than an e-reader. I'm fine with my Kindle for leisure reading. But have a lot of interest in a 10" or so tablet device for work.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Screen color. I don't need anotations or touch screen *icks*
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Plastic Substrate!!!!
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
... and ability to use a cached copy of wikipedia.
In the "Even more specialized than ereaders : the wikireader" thread, Mike L suggested using Kindlepedia (http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/) for converting Wiki sites content to e-reader format.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nothing really, as long as I can read on a stable machine then that is good enough. If I want wiki or browing facilities then I'll get a netbook/laptop etc .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In the "Even more specialized than ereaders : the wikireader" thread, Mike L suggested using Kindlepedia (http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/) for converting Wiki sites content to e-reader format.
Pain in the butt, really. I would have to do that to each and every article I want, which would take forever, then convert them to a format other than mobi, since I do not have a kindle. On top of that, for my 505, I couldn't then search.

Not to mention, when I've tried using it, the script 404s when you try to download the article.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
dictionary support
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
what additional function do I want in an eBook reader?

To have every standard form of DRM as well as every DRMless format supported--make supported effectively and well--on the device itself, plus excellent product support for the book reader and with support from many, competitive eBook stores online with a large and wide selection of material.

Well, as long as I'm dreaming...
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
I've talked a lot about this with a co worker. She listens to audio books in her car, and reads at home. She's posed to me the idea that you should be able to have a device that understands where you are in each media format, and picks up from there when you swich media. Here's an example:

- You're at home and you read the first few chapters of a book
- In the morning, you hop in the car, plug your ereader into the mp3 jack of your car's stereo and hit 'play' on your book. It starts reading from the page you left off that previous night.
- On your lunch break, you pick up the book again and start reading from where you left off from the car

Personally, I'm not a big fan of audio books but I do think that this is a compelling use case.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Configuration options for fonts and anti-aliasing.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote