Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
elliebeans
elliebeans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, 1st Gen
Calibre: Can't Delete Books?

Hi hi!

New here so I really hope I'm posting in the right place.

I have a really old iPad Mini, the first generation if I'm not mistaken and I use a PC. So when iBooks was taken away from iTunes, I had to resort to using old versions of Calibre and iTunes to upload books on my iPad...

That being said, the current version of Calibre that I use is Version 3.0

So yeah, superrrr old.

Today I was adding new books to my iPad, as one does, and whilst trying to delete some books that I realise were doubles, it gave me some sort of "no module fts5 error"

Needless to say, after countless of googling it tells me that I have to download the newer version. Is there any alternative to this though? Because a few new versions higher and the iTunes connection is going to disappear. Ugh. I need a new iPad.

If anyone could help, that would be amazing! Thank you! x
elliebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
That happens when you have a library that's been opened in 5.xx and then you open it in an older version. The database isn't quite compatible.

The only way to fix the error is to use Library > Switch/create library to make an empty library (use "copy structure from existing library") and then use "copy to library" to move them over. Then make sure not to open it in a newer version again.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-16-2021 at 05:50 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That happens when you have a library that's been opened in 4.23/5.xx and then you open it in an older version. The database isn't quite compatible.

The only way to fix the error is to use Library > Switch/create library to make an empty library (use "copy structure from existing library") and then use "copy to library" to move them over. Then make sure not to open it in a newer version again.
Sorry, but that's incorrect. The database only gets changed when using Calibre 5.x. Calibre 4.23 is compatible with the Calibre 5 database but does not change the database if it's not the new version.

The solution (IMHO) is to use cloud storage such as Dropbox and the associated app. Load some ePub and use the cloud app to copy to iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'll correct my post.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre 4.23 is the oldest version that's compatible with the Calibre 5 database.
Advert
Old 02-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
elliebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That happens when you have a library that's been opened in 5.xx and then you open it in an older version. The database isn't quite compatible.

Hmm, I'm a little confused.

I mean thank you to you both for your help but can we repeat it one more time but much simpler?
Old 02-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Calibre 5 has changed the database format that Calibre uses. After running Calibre 5 and loading your library, the database format is changed. The only pre-version 5 that can read/write to the new database format is Calibre 4.23. Any older version will not work. So forget using any version of Calibre earlier then 4.23.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
elliebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre 5 has changed the database format that Calibre uses. After running Calibre 5 and loading your library, the database format is changed. The only pre-version 5 that can read/write to the new database format is Calibre 4.23. Any older version will not work. So forget using any version of Calibre earlier then 4.23.
Oh... well damn. Because if I am not mistake any version higher than what I have right now... doesn't have the iTunes connection any more. Oh boy.

What do I do now? Get a new iPad clearly. Hahahaha.

Thank you for your help though! So basically to delete again, I have to download any version of Calibre higher than 4.23?
Old 02-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebeans View Post
Oh... well damn. Because if I am not mistake any version higher than what I have right now... doesn't have the iTunes connection any more. Oh boy.

What do I do now? Get a new iPad clearly. Hahahaha.

Thank you for your help though! So basically to delete again, I have to download any version of Calibre higher than 4.23?
You could use Calibre 4.23 as it's compatible with the Calibre 5 database format. But if you can run the current Calibre 5, I suggest doing that.

I also suggest forgetting the old version of Calibre 3 and iTunes as that's all a bit meh! Load your eBooks on a cloud server such as Dropbox or Onedrive and using the cloud storage app, you can download to iBooks/Books (depending on which iPad OS). It also means you can keep the software on your computer up-to-date.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
elliebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could use Calibre 4.23 as it's compatible with the Calibre 5 database format. But if you can run the current Calibre 5, I suggest doing that.

I also suggest forgetting the old version of Calibre 3 and iTunes as that's all a bit meh! Load your eBooks on a cloud server such as Dropbox or Onedrive and using the cloud storage app, you can download to iBooks/Books (depending on which iPad OS). It also means you can keep the software on your computer up-to-date.
Keeping the software on my computer sounds like an absolute dream and I would 100% like to go in that direction if it's possible. This back and forth between old versions is just a headache.

My iPad is really old. I'm not even sure what OS version it is but think of literally the first gen iPad Mini and feel it's age. So basically any app does not work on it. Netflix, Disney+, the whole she-bang. I'm surprised Spotify and Amazon Prime is still working. Hahahaha.

I did find an app called Calibro which you can apparently synv with Dropbox to use? The only issue is my Dropbox doesn't have a lot of space.

Would you know of anything (like even any cloud server) that could work well with my ancient iPad?
Old 02-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It seems your iPad Mini is too old to work with the apps you'll need. Dropbox and Onedrive require newer then iOS 9. I'll say it, you may want to consider a newer iPad.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #12
elliebeans

Ah yes, it seems that that time is upon me and my iPad is slowly but surely saying, "you need a new one". Hahaha. I'm saving up. For a Kindle at least. That'll make my life easier.

Which software does one actually use to add books into one's Kindle anyway? Can I use Calibre and "upload" stuff like I'm currently doing with iTunes?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Ah yes, it seems that that time is upon me and my iPad is slowly but surely saying, "you need a new one". Hahaha. I'm saving up. For a Kindle at least. That'll make my life easier.

Which software does one actually use to add books into one's Kindle anyway? Can I use Calibre and "upload" stuff like I'm currently doing with iTunes?
You can use Calibre to copy your books to your Kindle, but you can also simply drag and drop them to the Documents folder on your Kindle, no program needed at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Look at Kobo also. Not as locked down as Amazon is doing. Side loads beautifully and supports 'Series'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:36 AM   #15
elliebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at Kobo also. Not as locked down as Amazon is doing. Side loads beautifully and supports 'Series'
Ooh yeah, I've heard of it before! Thanks for the advice!

Tags
books, calibre, ipad