Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Historical Novels, Period Dramas, etc. Should Not Exist!

That's my opinion. I hate the books (movies, audiobooks, what-have-you) that are based upon historical events, and so take liberties with the facts. I've had this opinion for a long time.

Why do I think this way? Because people accept some of what's in those media as the truth, when it isn't the truth. That results in all kinds of problems, IMHO, because of the fact that people act based upon what they believe to be the truth. So, without trying to overstate the case or be melodramatic, I think that they can be dangerous.

Aside from that, the adage "truth is stranger than fiction" is spot-on. Or, more to the point, truth is more interesting than fiction. It is rare that a writer can make up any story about, say, World War II, that is as interesting as stories that really happened in that conflict. So, why the need for fictionalization? And, why would anyone--and I've run into many people like this--like historically-based media but dislike real history?

But I'm a hypocrite. There are some historically-based movies that I've watched and enjoyed, and some historically-based TV shows that I've gotten hooked on in the past. Right now, I'm addicted to old Hogan's Heroes episodes.

However, having said all of that, the main point of my post is to tell you about an excellent article on this subject--the best one that I've ever seen on the subject (although I haven't seen all that many, to be honest with you). And, no I don't feel that way because it agrees with me! The article is on the webpage of this BBC-run website.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-10-2016 at 05:53 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How about mashups?

* Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
* Henry VIII Wolfman
* Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
* George Washington Werewolf

History never had it so good
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How about mashups?

* Henry VIII Wolfman

ACK!!

The only acceptable mashup is the banana-and-peanut-butter kind. Mash the banana and stir in peanut butter. Slather on one side of a piece of loaf bread. Place the other side of the slice of bread on top of it. Oh, if you have some table syrup or honey, a little bit of that is good to add to the banana and peanut butter.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How about mashups?

* Henry VIII Wolfman

Someone should write "Hannibal: Lord of the Jungle."

If he had more elephants...and lions...and apes...and snakes of every description...
... and if the horde of animals traveled on the backs of thousands of whales...
No more Rome, baby.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ah, the old must-save-the-morons-from-dangerous-historical-fiction hooey. How fun.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Ah, the old must-save-the-morons-from-dangerous-historical-fiction hooey. How fun.
Combined with the old "I don't like reading it, so it shouldn't exist". Degree of difficulty: still zero, even in the pike position. No-one's impressed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Degree of difficulty: still zero, even in the pike position. No-one's impressed.
I had to look that one up. Looks painful to me, but I'm probably viewing that through the filter of my arthritic knees.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
That's my opinion. I hate the books (movies, audiobooks, what-have-you) that are based upon historical events, and so take liberties with the facts. I've had this opinion for a long time.

Why do I think this way? Because people accept some of what's in those media as the truth, when it isn't the truth. That results in all kinds of problems, IMHO, because of the fact that people act based upon what they believe to be the truth. So, without trying to overstate the case or be melodramatic, I think that they can be dangerous.
Er, that's why it's called "fiction" - because it didn't really happen. If it is an accurate depiction of events that really happened, we call it "non fiction".

There is room for both fictional and factual depictions within the literary genre.

Quote:
... the main point of my post is to tell you about an excellent article on this subject--the best one that I've ever seen on the subject (although I haven't seen all that many, to be honest with you). And, no I don't feel that way because it agrees with me!
The article doesn't agree with you. To the contrary, it specifically says that drama should not be judged primarily on the basis of historical accuracy.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-11-2016 at 09:49 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
It's dangerous similar to: "Romance novels are dangerous because some women believe in the charming prince."
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Courtroom fiction is "dangerous" because it leads lawyers to believe they can trick the bad guy into confessing on the stand.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Magical fantasy fiction is dangerous because it leads children into Satanic practices.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
There's lots of luddites out there that refuse to read anything but an honest-to-god-hold-in-your-hands book. Does that mean this board shouldn't exist?

(We have two Hogan's Heroes fans in this house. )
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Courtroom fiction is "dangerous" because it leads lawyers to believe they can trick the bad guy into confessing on the stand.
And might make us come to like and trust lawyers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I like historical fiction. When well done, it helps the reader understand how major events affected individual people in a very personal way.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I agree with the thread starter. Hysterical writing should not exist, as it is entirely based on make-believe and opinions.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote