Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Question How to publish epub with endnotes on Feedbooks?

Is there some normal way to publish an endnote heavy ebook on Feedbooks?

I just spent some days converting an InDesign print book into epub using Sigil and published through Draft2Digital.

Now I'd like to publish this same book on Feedbooks but it seems the only way to publish there is use their web based epub composing tool?

Frankly this seems like an insane limitation unless I am missing something.

The main problem is that my finished epub consists of multiple html pages of which one is the endnotes page which has 300+ references ALL with proper links to return to appropriate location.

I am trying to see how I could painlessly convert these references using Feedbooks.

The epub has been validated using Sigils FlightCrew function.

Has anyone published an epub on Feedbooks which has properly returning endnotes?
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Well I submitted a query to Feedbooks service, but I am not holding my breath for a response.
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Hey Begemot, don't take our silence as disinterest. I'm guessing that it's just that no one here has useful answers for you. Do let us know how you get on.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
Begemot
Zealot

A short update:

Here's a reply I got from their Customer Service:

"Feedbooks doesn't just distribute ebooks: our technology also generates on the fly any book in any format (EPUB, Mobipocket, PDF). This enables users to personnalise their PDFs for example (text size, choice of fonts, etc.) and also allows us to constantly improve the quality of the books we generate (formats like EPUB are still new and evolving quickly).

For this reason, we need to have as our source not only the text but also its structure (parts, chapters, sections), instead of an end format. To distribute your books on Feedbooks, you must therefore create the appropriate structure in our online editor, then paste the text from Word or any text file to provide us with the necessary information. You only need to do this once; after you've created your book via our interface, you can generate any format you like, and obtain a valid, good-looking ebook which can be read on any reading system.

As for the footnote function, once you're in the editing tab, click on the yellow square to add a footnote after the word you've chosen. A window will pop up, in which you can enter the text of the footnote. Then click on Insert."

Their answer skips over the fact that I already have a valid EPUB with a valid structure (chapters and subchapters via /h1 /h2 and so on), not just a slab of text.

It seems ridiculous that one has to format the text all over again using clunky web based tools, but that's how it is.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"...generates on the fly any book..."

I always worry about putting a book on top of a fly. It can leave a nasty mess, especially if there is no protective cover on the dust jacket.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
So another way of phrasing their response is something like: "so you are stuck with our online editor even if it means many hours of work for you". Not all that appealing.

Thanks for the update Begemot.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Begemot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishtigur View Post
[This SPAMMER has now been BANNED. - MODERATOR]

Draft2Digital was really painless (just uploaded epub with description ) and less than 24 hours later it was up for sale on all their partners including iBooks.
Not sure how easy it is to get money from them.

Feedbooks was just something extra that I wanted to do, but looks like it is not worth it.

The big one is Smashwords, but I did not want to wait.

Are you looking for a place to upload an epub so people can download for free?

If so, I believe even Kindle Digital Publishing has such an option.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-14-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
endnotes, epub, feedbooks, publishing