Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
360 Plus first impressions

Here are my first day impressions of the 360 Plus. The form factor is the same as the original; so I'm already feeling at home with it.

Buttons: The big mickey mouse buttons on the original 360 have a loud click and require quite a firm press to activate, so I was interested in seeing if there were any changes. The Plus version still has an audible click, similar to pressing the direction button, but requires a much softer press to activate. The difference is significant enough that I find myself using the mickey mouse buttons by default now, where I would rarely do that with the original.

Themes: The same themes work for both 360 versions, so I was able to load my favourites without any issues.

Fbreader180: I really enjoyed being able to fully customize my old 360 and got addicted to the wrist flip to change pages. Unfortunately this wasn't as easy a transition to the Plus version. The firmware is 15.4 so I tried the original fbreader180 software, no go the programs wasn't recognized. Once I installed "fbreader180-app-fw2.x.x" I got better results. I am now have access to all the same options as before font/margin/line spacing/etc. However, even though I have the options for 'page turn' I am not able to change pages with a wrist twist.

Dictionaries: I was pleasantly surprised to find the Websters 1913 dictionary already installed on the 360+, one less thing to fuss with. The following dictionary files are installed:
  • English_English.dic
  • English_German.dic
  • EngRus_korolev.dic

Calibre: Currently the 360+ isn't recognized as a device in Calibre. I was able to transfer books to the 360+ using the 'save to disk' option with no trouble.

Let me know if there are any other options/programs you would like me to test out.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you for the review!

It sounds as if you are very happy with it that is nice. Hope you enjoy your new toy for a VERY long time!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Thank you very much for your observations.

The more I hear about the device the more I like it.
Being able to use apps developed for 602 series is great. When combined with fabulous existing themes, it is better than I dared to hope. Softer buttons and same form factor make this very tempting.

Please tell us about the built-in browser.
Tell us if you can browse books from Calibre on your computer.
Please, make some printscreens or photos of PB360+. I am interested how the on-screen keyboard looks (for example when you type in URL in browser.

If you have camera that can make video (even cheap cameras nowadays can make video of youtube quality), please consider uploading video.

The most important question: Is the Doom installed by default? ;-))

---------------
How to enable that browsing the Calibre collection served by your PC:
1. Find out IP address of your PC. It will be something like 192.168.1.33
2. Connect PocketBook to the same network using Wifi.
3. start Calibre, go to Preferences, sharing over the net, and click Start Server.
4. Connect your PB360+ to WiFi network
5. Start browser on PB360+
6. type in URL address 192.168.1.33:8080 (or whatever IP address your computer has with :8080 at the end. You can set the port number in Calibre preferences. If you use port 80, you can just type IP address on your PB360+
7. Try to browse your collection and to open books, let us know how it works ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
So you got the Ivory PB360+? From the video it looked like that was the only one to have the wrist shake page turn. Or is it for both?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
So you got the Ivory PB360+? From the video it looked like that was the only one to have the wrist shake page turn. Or is it for both?
I got the black PB360+ and it doesn't have the wrist shake page turn. I didn't know that there were different options based on colour?
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I didn't know that there were different options based on colour?
[s]he is just pulling your leg.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
Justy
Fanatic

A few updates.

Themes: OK, I spoke too soon about the Themes used on the 360+. I noticed today that when I change the theme to any of the old themes, the 360+ no longer recognizes that there are applications in the "applications" folder and prompts me to add some. When I connect to my laptop and check the directory they are all there but just not recognized.

Calibre library and Wifi: I was able to access my local Calibre using the default browser. However I wasn't able to drill down to actual books. I could see the number of books grouped by tags, authors, etc., but the screen seemed to be stuck in "loading". I will play with it some more this weekend.

CoolReader: I got adventurous and loaded "pkb-cr3-pb-pro-0.0.4-3" this was a great success. I love having choices.

I have confirmed that fbreader180 and CoolReader can be loaded at the same time and still have access to the Applications. It is only switching themes that makes them 'disappear' so I will have to be sure of what is more important to me before I change the look/feel of the 360+. At least I made copies of all the original files before I started playing.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
[s]he is just pulling your leg.
I was hoping that was the case but, since the US white Pandigital Novel has newer software than the Cdn black Pandigital Novel, I had to be sure.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
A few updates.

Themes: OK, I spoke too soon about the Themes used on the 360+. I noticed today that when I change the theme to any of the old themes, the 360+ no longer recognizes that there are applications in the "applications" folder
I guess the problem is in location of the applications. At the times when old themes were created application used to be located in the "games" folder.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
I guess the problem is in location of the applications. At the times when old themes were created application used to be located in the "games" folder.
Then creating a "Games" folder and copying the apps there too would work?
Hardly a show-stopper.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Then creating a "Games" folder and copying the apps there too would work?
I'll test it out when I get home, that will teach me to leave my USB mini cable behind when I go to work!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Justy
Fanatic

For Themes, adding a Games folder with all the apps in it made all the difference. I can once again access all the applications and still have the theme of my choice. Thanks to pkbo for the hint on how to fix that issue!

I feel like a total noob with this browser though. I can move around on the page, and get to the address bar, but I have no idea how to access the forward/back/stop/refresh buttons which are beside the address bar.

I have attached the manual so you can see what the virtual keyboard looks like. It works pretty good for what it is I think.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf User_Manual_PB360_Plus(EN).pdf (719.0 KB, 430 views)
File Type: pdf User_Manual_PB360_Plus(RUS).pdf (727.2 KB, 543 views)
File Type: pdf User_Manual_PB360_Plus(DE).pdf (712.4 KB, 399 views)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #13
Justy
Fanatic

I have just posted my full review of the Pocketbook 360 Plus on my blog with several pictures. Please let me know what you think.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Great review [on your blog]! I have the regular PB360; coming up on a year with it. Now, I don't need a new one ... but your talk about faster page turns, access to the Web, etc., have made me think. But, no! I will be strong!

Can I just say, though, how thrilled I am that Pocketbook kept the original form factor on the new Plus? Most importantly, they kept the cover. Awesome!

Anyway. Thanks again for the review. I will now be strong and resist the pull of newer/faster. I will ... !

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Great review [on your blog]! I have the regular PB360; coming up on a year with it. Now, I don't need a new one ... but your talk about faster page turns, access to the Web, etc., have made me think. But, no! I will be strong!

Can I just say, though, how thrilled I am that Pocketbook kept the original form factor on the new Plus? Most importantly, they kept the cover. Awesome!

Anyway. Thanks again for the review. I will now be strong and resist the pull of newer/faster. I will ... !

Marilyn
Naah, I bet you won't

It is giving even me a hard time to resist

@Justy
Great review! Thanks
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote