Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting review of Nook Color (yes, I know this is the Kindle forum)

Here is a good review of the Nook Color with quite a bit of Kindle 3 comparison included: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...nookcolor.ars/

The article also points out some of the pros of having a touch screen eReader - quite relevant to the recent thread we had here about having a touch screen Kindle - New Kindle Touch [Proposals and Thoughts]

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I happen to have a KDXG, K3, and Nook Color in my house right now
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took a couple of pics just because I had them handy

The nook color is certainly cool but I still prefer the Kindle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02169.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	63451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02172.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	701.7 KB
ID:	63452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02174.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	63453  
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I took a couple of pics just because I had them handy

The nook color is certainly cool but I still prefer the Kindle
Great pics! If I lived in the USA I'd definitely try a Nook Color out - certainly would be nice with books that would benefit from colour like illustrated kids books and cookery books.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Great pics! If I lived in the USA I'd definitely try a Nook Color out - certainly would be nice with books that would benefit from colour like illustrated kids books and cookery books.
If you want one and you are willing to pay for the shipping let me know and I can mail to you The one you see there will be on its way to Iran next week
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Torn...

Disclaimer: I love my Kindle! Really and truly.

What an well-thought out, informative review! Most so-called professional reviews tend to lean very heavily towards personal preference rather than objectively and honestly playing with and testing the things being reviewed.

When I first got my K3, I had some buyer's remorse and let a very knowledgeable B&N employee sell me the original Nook the very next day. After playing with both, I returned the Nook. (You can find my original thread(s) by searching.) Bottom line is that I felt the K3's screen was much superior, that the little LED screen at the bottom of the Nook was an unnecessary and unwieldy kludge (which, BTW, is what sold me on the Nook in the first place) and that the Nook's battery life suffered terribly because of the LCD screen.

Now comes the color Nook. I initially dismissed it out of hand simply because it of its parentage: it's clearly an Android tablet firmly locked down as an e-reader. More than twice as heavy as my Kindle, with a bright LCD screen that is unreadable in very bright light, and a short battery life typical of tablets, the color Nook is the very antithesis of the Kindle. Except for price, I thought, why not just buy a real tablet with e-reader software?

At least, that was my original and uninformed opinion.

Yesterday, I was pickup up some last-minute stocking stuffers, and popped into B&N. The Nook display is in your face as you walk in the front door, and the seasonal guy manning the stand was patiently busy with a youngish guy who had no idea what the Nook was for and by his questions probably thought that the Barnes in B&N had something to do with farm equipment.

I busied myself playing with the other color Nook on the display. Amazing! It was so much different from the original Nook that I couldn't believe it. Within about 2 minutes of messing around with it, I more or less had all the gestures down pat. Reading was effortless, as was navigating the library. I noted a few minor peeves as the reviewer did in the above-referenced article but overall found it very easy to use.

Because I have a computer and a smartphone, I really could care less about web browsing and so on with my e-reader. For grins, I did try a quick browse to Google and to the Denver Post websites. It seemed to work much better than the "experimental" browser on my Kindle.

I ended up playing with the color Nook for well over an hour. Even though the size differences are nominal, the weight of the Nook was very noticeable, particularly when holding it one handed as I often do with my Kindle. It's quite a bit more expensive than my Kindle, and I can only imagine that I'd be charging it 3-4x more often than my Kindle. I realized as I was writing this I don't know if it is any better than the Kindle at managing collections, so it may mean another trip back to B&N Sunday while the kids are busy with all their new loot from Santa.

Still... The user interface is intuitive and is really what I'd hoped for with the Kindle. I'd have to have one in bed with me for a week or two for a final decision on whether or not the additional weight makes that much of a difference. Oh, and I'd have to put Calibre to work overtime to convert my rather extensive library into Epub format!

Why, oh why can't I have an e-reader with a brilliant high-contrast e-ink screen that has a super-fast refresh rate, an intuitive and highly customizable UI, a battery life of a month or more, weighing in at about 10 ounces, and has a sell-through price of, oh, say about $79!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hm, interesting review, Holly; thanks for sharing.
Yes, I would like to try a Nook as well. Perhaps next year we'll come to the States.
Though I dearly love my Kindle, I find things like missing a " back" function and a faster navigation. The weight and size of the Nook would perhaps be a problem as well. I don't need faster browsing ; I've my iPad for that.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

With an iPad there is no real need to any other reader since you can get the nook, kindle, kobo, google reader, ibooks... and many other ebook reading software
Old 12-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
With an iPad there is no real need to any other reader since you can get the nook, kindle, kobo, google reader, ibooks... and many other ebook reading software
Well, I used the iPad as an ereader for a few months in summer, waiting for my Kindle. I found ereading was good; didn't take the iPad outside to read, so the famous 'glare' didn't bother me.
But it was too heavy and too distracting for me. At night I just kept surfing on the internet and reading and surfing. Yes: no discipline at all.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I have a theory as to why so many of these reviews are popping up that compare dedicated ereaders with media tablets: The Kindle and its ilk are specifically designed to recreate an experience the reviewers are not familiar with, so they only see the device as another square handheld thing with a screen, and expect it to be for watching funny videos of cats.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
... they only see the device as another square handheld thing with a screen, and expect it to be for watching funny videos of cats.
I knew there was something my Kindle wasn't doing...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
If I didn't have an iPad, I'd probably pick up a Nook Color. I did buy one for my sister for Christmas, so I can live vicariously through her. I'll be the one to set it up!
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Hm, interesting review, Holly; thanks for sharing.
Yes, I would like to try a Nook as well. Perhaps next year we'll come to the States.
Though I dearly love my Kindle, I find things like missing a " back" function and a faster navigation. The weight and size of the Nook would perhaps be a problem as well. I don't need faster browsing ; I've my iPad for that.
the K3 doesn't have a back button?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the K3 doesn't have a back button?
If you accidentely hit the 'back' button while you're reading (and that can happen without you realizing), you can't go back to where you were reading hitting one button; you have to go to home and choose all over again
Old 12-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
<snip>Why, oh why can't I have an e-reader with a brilliant high-contrast e-ink screen that has a super-fast refresh rate, an intuitive and highly customizable UI, a battery life of a month or more, weighing in at about 10 ounces, and has a sell-through price of, oh, say about $79!
Maybe next year..... I would add to your list of wishes, an excellent browser, an OS that natively reads all eBook formats, with a hot-spot WiFi router included (with free WiFi, of course) and yes, all for $79.

In the meantime, I will stick with my Kindle for eReading (is that a word?), and wish I had the money to afford an iPad and some sort of MiFi router and a broadband service plan for same, for all the other "stuff" that might be fun to have on the go. Sigh.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote