Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
vinvin
vinvin began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
Is there a physical presence in NYC?

I've sent my parents a PB360 as a gift, and they're having problems with it now... The local distributor (in Israel) refuses to help as it was not bought through them, so they want to have it fixed in the US when they come to visit. Is there a place in NYC they can go to to have it handled?
vinvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, vinvin.

Hopefully someone will step in soon with suggestions.

It might help to be more specific with what sort of problems you are having?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
I've sent my parents a PB360 as a gift, and they're having problems with it now... The local distributor (in Israel) refuses to help as it was not bought through them, so they want to have it fixed in the US when they come to visit. Is there a place in NYC they can go to to have it handled?
Most probably you will have to ship the device to the PocketBook USA service center in Kansas. Their contact info:
email: service@pocketbook-usa.com
phone: 1 877 326 0196, ext 2
hours: 8am-6pm CST, Monday to Friday
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
vinvin

PB360

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, vinvin.

Hopefully someone will step in soon with suggestions.

It might help to be more specific with what sort of problems you are having?
hard to tell frankly being far away... they say the PC stopped communicating with the reader.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
hard to tell frankly being far away... they say the PC stopped communicating with the reader.
There is lots of things you can do from a distance.
Tell them to:
- use different cable
- plug cable to different USB port on computer
- try plugging the device to different computer
- try inserting/removing the SD card
- try reseting the device
- try restoring the device to factory default state (this wipes all books, bookmarks ... EVERYTHING) This is the last resort.

I am pretty sure that owner of the nearest Internet Cafe can help them with most of those tasks when they go in during "slow" hours, ask nicely, look hopeless enough, and pay for one hour of PC use.

If nothing of the above works they can purchase a microSD card and a card reader and get books on the device this way.
You can send them MIcroSD card with books stuck between two pieces of cardboard in an envelope by airmail.

There are other things they can do, just come back and tell us how the above worked.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Tell them to:
- use different cable
- try restoring the device to factory default state (this wipes all books, bookmarks ... EVERYTHING) This is the last resort.

I am pretty sure that owner of the nearest Internet Cafe can help them with most of those tasks when they go in during "slow" hours, ask nicely, look hopeless enough, and pay for one hour of PC use.

If nothing of the above works they can purchase a microSD card and a card reader and get books on the device this way.
You can send them MIcroSD card with books stuck between two pieces of cardboard in an envelope by airmail.

There are other things they can do, just come back and tell us how the above worked.
Very good points kacir. For some reason I assumed that the local distributor in Israel inspected the device and refused to fix it under warranty there. But if it is just a PC connectivity issue it might be indeed easily solved by trying options listed above.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Tell them to:
- use different cable

In addition to trying to connect with computer running, try connecting to computer THEN turn computer on. Be sure to click on the PC choice when presented not on charge.
I don't remember if it makes a difference whether the reader is first turned on or not. Maybe try both ways.

I just[last night] went through the no connection exercise. Finally found problem was the cable not fitting tightly. Changed cable no problem. Tried all kinds of Windows 7 esoteric solutions first such as clearing caches, changing drive letters in registry and others suggested on the net.DUH!
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
vinvin

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
In addition to trying to connect with computer running, try connecting to computer THEN turn computer on. Be sure to click on the PC choice when presented not on charge.
I don't remember if it makes a difference whether the reader is first turned on or not. Maybe try both ways.

I just[last night] went through the no connection exercise. Finally found problem was the cable not fitting tightly. Changed cable no problem. Tried all kinds of Windows 7 esoteric solutions first such as clearing caches, changing drive letters in registry and others suggested on the net.DUH!
They seem to have figured it out, they say it works now. I guess the problem was indeed a bad cable connection.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
tvpupsik
Addict

Quote:
They seem to have figured it out, they say it works now. I guess the problem was indeed a bad cable connection.
Good to hear