Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
wvabob
wvabob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Have a new Kindle, can't get connected from computer to kindle

I am not in a location to receive wireless so I have books downloaded to my computer to download to my Kindle.

I plugged in the Kindle on the USB port and it registered as a "disk drive" under "computer". It does not show up anywhere as a pop up window and I cannot make a connection from my computer to the Kindle itself.

another thing I have noticed is I have lost my home page on my Kindle. I have tried the 15 second reset thing but still no home page.

any help will be appreciated.
wvabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If it shows up as a disk drive on your computer you should be able to add your books to the documents folder.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 01-01-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you tried this page? If no other help is useful, call the CS using the call back feature. They call back within minutes, and are very helpful..........I"m speaking about within the US of course.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375430
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

When the kindle is attached to the computer, it's normal to lose your kindle homepage on the kindle. It's replaced by a picture of a USB connector, right? If so, that's normal.

Assuming you are using Windows, if you go to Start and then Computer, this opens up the window showing your connected drives (e.g. C, D, etc).
In that window, you should see a drive called Kindle (or at least some indication of a new USB drive).
From there, double click on the kindle drive and you'll see some folders - one of which is documents.
Double click on documents and you should see any all all documents you currently have loaded on your kindle (as well as some other similarly named files).
Now, you can drag document(s) from your computer over to that documents folder on the kindle.
When you unplug your kindle from the computer, you'll see the new documents listed on your home page.
(All of this assumes, of course that the document is in a format that the kindle can understand.)

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Wvabob, one other thing you should do is to try conecting to a different USB port, preferably on a different computer. I don't know why, but when I try to connect my Kindle to my desktop machine, it often fails. But it works every time on my laptop.

I'm not saying the same will happen to you. But it's always worth eliminating the variables in this way.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
wvabob

After more searching and trying the suggestions posted here, I finally got some books downloaded.

It seems that somehow I had done something to the program settings when I first started trying to set up the device.

I went in and found the setting that said 'reset to default' or something like that and that seemed to do the trick. At least I have books downloaded........now I just have to try and remember how I got it all done.

Anyway, thanks for the help
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
wvabob

Hello again, I am having another problem with trying to download from my computer to my kindle.

Assuming you are using Windows, if you go to Start and then Computer, this opens up the window showing your connected drives (e.g. C, D, etc).
In that window, you should see a drive called Kindle (or at least some indication of a new USB drive).
From there, double click on the kindle drive and you'll see some folders - one of which is documents.
Double click on documents and you should see any all all documents you currently have loaded on your kindle (as well as some other similarly named files).
Now, you can drag document(s) from your computer over to that documents folder on the kindle.
When you unplug your kindle from the computer, you'll see the new documents listed on your home page.
(All of this assumes, of course that the document is in a format that the kindle can understand.)

I can do every thing as describer above by Mitch G, but when I click on computer and it brings up "kindle", and I click on that and get the "kindle" window it does not have any "folders" showing or anything that says "documents".... I've tried going to my document files and trying to send that to my kindle drive, but when I try to send that folder to the actual kindle machine, it just duplicates the folder on the kinkle drive... I'm stumped, does anyone know what I may can do?

also should say that I think i'm in the correct download format (mobi )

I called the help number on the amazon site but they were not very interested in helping me because i had not downloaded these books from their web site, so that was not help.

thanks for any suggestions