Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
gaudentius
gaudentius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Unhappy I broke my Tri-Fold!

And I'm adamant that I'm going to fix it!

The clip holding the book still holds the book. What broke was what holds the clip to the cover. So I have a plastic flippy-floppy thingamajig attached to my 505.

Should I use Super Glue or Gorilla Glue?

What other options do I have, other than throwing more money at Sony for another cover from across the pond (bought on eBay)?

GD
gaudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudentius View Post
And I'm adamant that I'm going to fix it!

The clip holding the book still holds the book. What broke was what holds the clip to the cover. So I have a plastic flippy-floppy thingamajig attached to my 505.

Should I use Super Glue or Gorilla Glue?

What other options do I have, other than throwing more money at Sony for another cover from across the pond (bought on eBay)?

GD
You could give up on Sony's covers, which break, break, break, and go with a very cool, protective, lovely 3rd party cover:

Either:

"https://www.buymedge.com/products/sonyprs505-executive.psp"

(The M-Edge Executive cover. They ship internationally!)

Or

http://oberondesign.com/store/SonyE.php

The Oberon Design leather cover. GORGEOUS! And they ship to the UK, too!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
gaudentius

The MEdge are ok. I'm loving the Oberon covers. What I don't like is the way the books are held. That's the only reason why I like the Sony covers. And also the funky colors of the Tri-fold.

I wish someone would come up with a some type of metal spring that would work instead of the plastic clips that are used. An Oberon cover with one of those would be a godsend. I would definitely pay for that!

GD
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Don't use Gorilla Glue. A contact cement might work best. A coating spread on both sides, allowed to dry for 12-20 minutes, then pressed together.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudentius View Post
The MEdge are ok. I'm loving the Oberon covers. What I don't like is the way the books are held. That's the only reason why I like the Sony covers. And also the funky colors of the Tri-fold.

I wish someone would come up with a some type of metal spring that would work instead of the plastic clips that are used. An Oberon cover with one of those would be a godsend. I would definitely pay for that!

GD
What don't you like about the corner straps? I'll tell you, they work WONDERFULLY, and my Reader feels way more secure & stable in the M-Edge cover than it ever did in either the original or the Tri-Fold cover.

I agree, a metal clip would be a great idea. I doubt it's going to happen...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
HappyOne
HappyOne began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Did you break the plastic tab?

I did and tried glueing it but it didn't work. Then I carefully removed the plastic spine from the stock cover and fitted it on my tri-fold. That works great.

Just remember that the plastic spine has two catches and some glue on the middle. Carefully lift the middle until it comes away from the cover. Then push towards the centre with one of the ends (bending the spine like a bow) to release one of the catches. Once that one is free, you can easily remove the other one.

Btw. I recently bought the Oberon cover and now can't see myself using the tri-fold any more
HappyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
I considered the tri-fold cover but decided against since it used the same plastic retention system as the stock cover. I would not trust that $0.25 plastic part with my $300 reader. Even though the tri-fold provides much better protection than the stock cover the plastic retainer is the weak point in both.

I went with the M-Edge cover when Amazon had it on sale and it is great. The retention system with the straps at the corners takes very little getting used to and is very secure. I expect that the Oberon cover performs about the same.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
gaudentius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyOne View Post
Did you break the plastic tab?

I did and tried glueing it but it didn't work. Then I carefully removed the plastic spine from the stock cover and fitted it on my tri-fold. That works great.

Just remember that the plastic spine has two catches and some glue on the middle. Carefully lift the middle until it comes away from the cover. Then push towards the centre with one of the ends (bending the spine like a bow) to release one of the catches. Once that one is free, you can easily remove the other one.

Btw. I recently bought the Oberon cover and now can't see myself using the tri-fold any more
I apologize for taking so long to respond.

The catches, as you call them, are what broke in my tri-fold. Unfortunately, I had already used the Gorilla glue by the time I read the latest posts. The glue is holding up so far.

After all the positive feedback on the MEdge and Oberon covers, I may have to rethink my position on those. Especially the Oberon covers. There's a red one there that I have my eye on! My birthday is coming up and I may give myself a nifty present!

GD
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Oh gosh. These Oberon Covers are gorgeous. My birthday is in 10 days......Hmmmmm.

I shall immediately begin to subliminally send this message to my husband. "Hi, honey (oberon cover) what do you want for dinner (oberon cover)? would you like your favorite pasta (oberon cover)?

rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote