Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
j7f
j7f began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
sony updates 505's pdf ability?

so, here's my dilemma...
i received the 505 last week. i love it.
it's got a gorgeous screen. it handles well enough.
however, i do enjoy pdfs.
magazines...graphic novels...etc.

i read regular ebooks...books...like anyone else here...anything w/ words and i'm there.

but, i stumbled upon a 700. the pdf software is better. yes, yes...the screen got buggered up. i agree. it's still a lovely device. vastly more expensive considering what one can get the 505 for these days.

now that there's some background...here's my question:
do any of us know if there will be an update for the 505 that might allow a 700-like experience w. pdfs on the 505?

is that even possible? combing through the forums it seems that is an oft inquired upon issue.
just trying to decide if i'm going to exchange it for a 700.

thanks, all!
i'll happily accept ALL comments...
please...i'm begging you!

:-/
j7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The processors in the 700 are different from those used in the 505, so a big part of what you are seeing is due to better/faster/different processors. Without those different processors, the likelihood of the 505 ever matching the 700 in terms of speed, efficiency or processing of PDF files is next to impossible.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
j7f
j7f began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
good point. as long as it currently takes on the 700...i can only imagine it would be an even longer pause on the 505's system.

thx!
j7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
The SOLE reason for my purchase of the P7 was its native PDF ability.
As a researcher, and avid PDF fan, I found no other reader as capable.

The 5 doesn't cut it for me.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
The SOLE reason for my purchase of the P7 was its native PDF ability.
As a researcher, and avid PDF fan, I found no other reader as capable.
I'm rather surprised that you didn't consider the iRex DR1000S to be a lot more capable than the PRS-700 when it comes to PDFs. Can you elaborate as to how you consider the PRS-700 to be better?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

- form factor
- availability
- note taking,
- PDF zoom
- icon'd books
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm rather surprised that you didn't consider the iRex DR1000S to be a lot more capable than the PRS-700 when it comes to PDFs. Can you elaborate as to how you consider the PRS-700 to be better?
Where can you see and evaluate the DRS1000? And I hate buying to return, so that's not an option for me- I buy something, I mean it

I would have considered one such a while ago if I could see one in a store the way the 700 just impressed me on the spot with its speed and responsiveness...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- form factor
- availability
- note taking,
- PDF zoom
- icon'd books
Isn't "form factor" the one area in which the iRex is a lot better? It can display an A4/Letter PDF "as it is", without having the issues associated with trying to display it on a screen with 1/6th the area that it was intended for.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "PDF zoom"? Both devices can do it; in what way does the Sony do it better?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Server
Anti-Narcissist

Quote:
....Can you elaborate as to how you consider the PRS-700 to be better?.....elaborate on what you mean by "PDF zoom"?
I forgot to mention CO$T!

ahem... $859.00USD

PDF zoom on the fly, ie. Ability to zoom closer and or change the aspect
of the PDF on the fly without having to reformat the PDF itself.

I believe improvements can be made in how the ZOOM function works.
When Sony tweaks the next ROM, the dev team can add save zoom
state for each page turn, and even add thumbnails of every page as in
adobe reader. The 700 has LOTS of room to grow on the software side
just a matter of time before we see lots of updates not to mention
home cooked ROMS too!

The rex looks nice but its target market is too niche segmented and
therefore, won't last when full ereader proliferation happens.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I entirely agree that it's a niche market, but as a researcher, I would have thought that you fitted right into that niche!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Server
Anti-Narcissist

Yes, but it came down to economic$....

iRex has lots of potential if they want to compete they should start thinking
long term mass market and forget recovering the cost and expense in R&D.

Once you go into mass production, MGFs have a choice. Hold inventory and
distribute on a costly demand /delay basis, OR.... cover your costs, and create
demand by artificially saturating the market with below market price readers
and the value to consumers alone will drive the demand and therefore increase
production.

Sell more and lower costs (create market awareness) vs. Sell Less at higher prices
and be very niche segmented to corporate clientele and miss the larger mass
market altogether.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
the dev team can add save zoom state for each page turn, and even add thumbnails of every page as in adobe reader.
Do you mean that you have to press zoom every time you turn a page??
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, but it came down to economic$....

iRex has lots of potential if they want to compete they should start thinking
long term mass market and forget recovering the cost and expense in R&D.
It's the screen that costs the money; you don't expect iRex to sell the device at a loss, do you?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
It's the screen that costs the money; you don't expect iRex to sell the device at a loss, do you?
No it is not the screen. This urban legend has no value anymore.

When iRex were selling iLiad and 1000 for exactly the same price, when one of them had 8" and another 10", it became very clear that it is not about screen price.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
No it is not the screen. This urban legend has no value anymore.

When iRex were selling iLiad and 1000 for exactly the same price, when one of them had 8" and another 10", it became very clear that it is not about screen price.
No, you misunderstand me. I simply mean that the 8" and 10" screens which iRex use are significantly more expensive than the mass-produced 6" screens that the other devices use. They also use Wacom tablet technology, which has to cost a fair amount.

No "urban legends" there!