Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

Another issue I'm having, as are many people on the Apple Support forum, is with Wallpaper images on the iPad and iPhone in iOS 7. I mentioned earlier the tremendous clunkiness and delay when trying to position an image as a Wallpaper. Also you cannot scale an image smaller, only bigger. And the image even, if the proper size, will get cropped. This is apparently a bug though, so hopefully they will fix it. The Apple Support forum had several posts claiming to have found a workaround, but none of those worked with my iPad 3. With so many experiencing this issue, it is definitely an issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #62
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm confused, you agree that I am telling the truth about a shortcoming on ios7, yet you call me a troll?
Of course. No need to pretend you don't understand why. You only ever post on matters relating to Apple in order to denigrate the company, its products, or its users. Usually all three.

Of course, the chart is provided without either citation or context (the reviewer concludes: iOS remains an excellent operating system. [...] Version 7.0 has some new-release wrinkles that are going to need to be ironed out (battery life, occasional iPad stability problems, and iPhone 4 lagginess are the biggest issues), but Apple is typically good about identifying and addressing these kinds of problems.).

The saddest—or at least most hypocritical—part of your contribution is that your phone of choice, the Nexus 4, has far worse battery life than any of the last three iPhones, even post-update. Unsurprisingly, I haven't seen you complaining much about that.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Not really iOS 7 comment, but I've used iTunes 11.1 several times in the past 24 hours and it seems a lot faster and reliable at finding and connecting to my WiFi connected iPad and iPhone. I had a lot of issues with 11.0 finding my iPhone 5. It usually took some effort to get it to find it. 11.0 NEVER found my iPad 3. Now every time I open 11.1 it immediately connects to both.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #64
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not really iOS 7 comment, but I've used iTunes 11.1 several times in the past 24 hours and it seems a lot faster and reliable at finding and connecting to my WiFi connected iPad and iPhone. I had a lot of issues with 11.0 finding my iPhone 5. It usually took some effort to get it to find it. 11.0 NEVER found my iPad 3. Now every time I open 11.1 it immediately connects to both.
Yeah, likewise. It's been flaky for a long time. Nice to see they fixed this, even if there are fewer and fewer reasons to sync via iTunes.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #65
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Of course. No need to pretend you don't understand why. You only ever post on matters relating to Apple in order to denigrate the company, its products, or its users. Usually all three.

Of course, the chart is provided without either citation or context (the reviewer concludes: iOS remains an excellent operating system. [...] Version 7.0 has some new-release wrinkles that are going to need to be ironed out (battery life, occasional iPad stability problems, and iPhone 4 lagginess are the biggest issues), but Apple is typically good about identifying and addressing these kinds of problems.).

The saddest—or at least most hypocritical—part of your contribution is that your phone of choice, the Nexus 4, has far worse battery life than any of the last three iPhones, even post-update. Unsurprisingly, I haven't seen you complaining much about that.
A 48% drop in battery life is noteworthy and something people upgrading should be aware of.

And I don't own a Nexus 4.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

I did some Google searches on battery life on the iPhone 5 with iOS 7. There were several articles claiming this is true. But if you read them, each article was referring to the Ars Technica review rather than conducting their own tests! Hmmmm....

I've read that some upgraders have experienced their settings being reset. If so, I wonder if the Ars Technica guys checked the settings before and after their tests to verify they were exactly the same in iOS 6 and in iOS 7. If not then their tests are not valid.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #67
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
A 48% drop in battery life is noteworthy and something people upgrading should be aware of.
It would be, if it were true.

To begin with, the drop the Ars reviewer is claiming is 43%, not 48%.

I haven't noticed anything so drastic. That would mean I'd be getting just over 4 hours of battery life on iOS 7. As you can see, I've used my phone for 3 hours and 18 minutes today and I'm at 60%. If we extrapolate from that rate of power consumption, I'm on track to get 8 hours and 15 minutes of use before the battery dies. I'll be happy to report back at the end of the day when I know for sure.

That's why his initial claim that the iPhone 5 can last 11 hours on iOS 6 seems so fishy to me. I have never, ever seen that kind of battery performance on this device. So his percentage in battery drop is likely wrong. I'd guess it's taken a 10-15% hit, max.

Quote:
And? This changes nothing.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Same here. I frequently had to use a USB connection to get 11.0 to recognize my iPt4; and even, then I had to plug and unplug it several times. With 11.1, it finds my iPod right away; and with no physical connections whatsoever.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I do
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #70
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like most of the new functionality. I do not like the new design aesthetic. The colors, flatness, and fonts look like clown-puke to my eye. But that is a minor gripe. Like some others, I am more put out by losing swipe right to delete.

I am also annoyed by the new lock screens. There are now *two* screens where there used to be one. I have a wallpaper image for the screen that shows my PIN code while I am entering it. Now that screen gets wiped to a new keypad-only screen when entering the PIN code. You might ask why I do this. I don't care to lock my phone but if I connect to my work server they demand I use a PIN (even with my personal phone). Showing that PIN on the lock screen is (was) convenient.

But my complaints are mostly washed away by the pull-up settings screen. Hallelujah! I expect more control over what shows up in that screen in some later iOS revision.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think Safari has some issues. I was trying to type a blog comment and kept losing the ability to type into the edit box: the keyboard was up and the box had focus but I couldn't enter text. Had to keep dismissing the keyboard, bringing it back up etc. I read that some web developers have identified other serious problems as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #72
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

That also happens in Chrome, not just Safari, and also in iOS 6, not just iOS 7. I think iOS 7 is hideous and garish, it's mostly about cosmetics fluff with little useful functionality added. Whatever useful functionality has been added, could have been added as an incremental iOS 6 update, sparing the rest of us all this visual pain. The all-white keyboard looks especially ghastly in e-readers in night mode! The dock is fug-ugly, too, and let's not even mention the ridiculous new flat icons (was the Camera icon designed by a 5-year-old?; the new Settings icon makes me cringe).

Oh, and could there be anything uglier than the new Notes app? Naturally, I don't use it, because it's a dumb app like any other typical Apple app. (I use Nebulous Notes instead.) But who could ever have thought that opening an all-white empty sheet and typing in the excruciatingly vanilla Helvetica font could possibly be more impressive or elegant than the former very nice yellow pad and especially the outstanding Noteworthy font? Being blinded with a huge slab of an all-white tablet screen (especially at night) is like being hit with a sledgehammer. It transforms the Notes app into a flashlight app. What a design disaster.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-19-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #73
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
While I agree with you 100% on the colors & fonts of the Notes app (ugh!) I have to stick up for one awesome Notes feature. With absolutely zero effort, any note I write on my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Air is available to me on the other devices.

Yes, other apps have cloud drivers as well. I use SugarSync, Google Drive, and MS Skydrive. But nothing syncs with as low of an effort as the built-into-all-Apple-devices Notes app.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #74
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
While I agree with you 100% on the colors & fonts of the Notes app (ugh!) I have to stick up for one awesome Notes feature. With absolutely zero effort, any note I write on my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Air is available to me on the other devices.

Yes, other apps have cloud drivers as well. I use SugarSync, Google Drive, and MS Skydrive. But nothing syncs with as low of an effort as the built-into-all-Apple-devices Notes app.
Reminders and Calendar also sync effortlessly.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #75
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:

No way can there be a 48% in battery life.. Apple would not be that STUPID to make available a new system with that happening..
JM2C..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote