Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Fidney
Enthusiast
Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Chapter Break Image Problem

Hello Folks,

I have a .mobi format book on my Kindle, that I had converted in Calibre from an epub.

At the head of every chapter there is a graphic that is about half the width of the page and is centre justified, and then under that a chapter title.

In Calibre everything looks fine, as it does on my Kindle as long as I've used only the page forwards and page backwards buttons, but if I use either chapter forwards or chapter backwards the graphic becomes left justified (the chapter title remains centre justified) - and this effects all chapters in the book. If I page forward to the next chapter the graphic is left justified too, etc. etc.

I can correct it only by paging backwards from the first page of the chapter and then paging forwards again, and this then seems to correct the graphic for all the chapters, as long as they are only reached by paging forwards or backwards one page at a time.

As soon as I use button to jump forwards to the next chapter, or backwards to the previous chapter, the graphic shows as wrongly left justified again.

I don't know if it was an error in conversion from the epub, and I can't try again as I deleted the epub version when it converted. I've tried reconverting mobi to mobi but it has made no difference.

I'm new to Calibre and I'm not confident experimenting with the settings as I'm worried I'll end up completely ruining the book.

Has anyone any ideas how I can correct this?

Many thanks in advance.
Fidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is caused by a bug in the Kindle (or more precisely a limitation in the way it handles non linear browsing in MOBI). You can workaround it by ensuring the anchor that identifies the beginning of the chapter is before the markup indicating a centered image, but to do that, you have to understan HTML and edit the source of the epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Fidney
Enthusiast
Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fidney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
OK, thanks for the response - and from Mr Calibre himself no less

I had hoped that it was me just doing something wrong in Calibre, but good to know that it isn't user error!! I don't have the original epub, and I don't understand HTML, so I'll just live with this. It's not a major problem, just an annoyance.

Thank you very much for your reply.

P.S. I'm new to this whole ebook thing, but I'm loving Calibre - it certainly makes it much easier to manager my Kindle
Fidney is offline   Reply With Quote