Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
gamoses
gamoses began at the beginning.

Device: Handspring Visor Pro, Palm Treo 650
So there's no backlight at all?

I'd really, really like one of these new e-ink readers, but I do 99% of my reading in bed at night while falling asleep. I don't want to attach a book light. I want a real backlight. Like the ancient grayscale Palm I'm still using for reading. But it's my understanding that none of the e-ink readers have one. Is that right? Are there any plans for future models that do?

Thanks!!
gamoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Backlight is simply impossible with E-Ink as the display is opaque. Front- or side-light could be done, or a LightWedge-type attachment. However, there's no word on any of those so far.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When I read in bed, I use this Z-light that is sold at Borders. And, believe it or not, recently I've been trying it with the light attached to the case on the right hand side of the reader instead of at the top, like I think everyone else has been doing.

I think this is the one...
http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/boo...ems/GP-03.html

and at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8804
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
chuck94022
avid reader
chuck94022 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500 and prs-505
No backlight is a feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamoses
I'd really, really like one of these new e-ink readers, but I do 99% of my reading in bed at night while falling asleep. I don't want to attach a book light. I want a real backlight. Like the ancient grayscale Palm I'm still using for reading. But it's my understanding that none of the e-ink readers have one. Is that right? Are there any plans for future models that do?

Thanks!!
If a backlight is what you want, don't consider an e-ink solution. Backlights cause eye fatigue, making long hours of reading more stressful. E-ink based readers are intended to be used in a reflective light manner, as with traditional books.

One might argue the effectiveness of the current solution. Personally, I'd like to see E-Ink Corporation figure out how to make a whiter white in low light (ie, increase the contrast). It is nice, but it isn't yet like paper in ambient lighting situations (granted ambient lighting is not optimal for reading anything).

Now, an integrated front light might be interesting, but if I must trade off lighting against battery life and weight, I choose the latter.
chuck94022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
It sounds like you are one of us who already reads for hours at a time with a backlight, and have not experienced the fatigue issues some of the others have had. If you want one of the eInk displays though, you are stuck for an integrated light -- unless you want to go the do-it-yourself route, in which case you should check out the accessories board in the Sony Reader section. Lots of neat Frankenstein-esque ideas there.

I am lucky in that I use a backlight and have no trouble even with long sessions... Just read my way through a four hour flight yesterday and read some more when I got to my hotel room. The battery life is an issue, but if I keep the backlight relatively low, it seems to solve both issues. My eBookwise is very usable with the backlight set at about 30%, and it runs for 19+ hours. Of course, it just does not look as nice as the eInk displays do in good lighting. The versatility was a good trade off for my sitch, though.

Good luck,
Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
You can buy one of yvan's boxes for a "built in" light!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
You can buy one of yvan's boxes for a "built in" light!
As I remember the projected price of one of his boxes (as nice as it is) is greater than the cost of the Reader itself.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote