Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Kindleless!

Yes, that's right I no longer have a Kindle. I sold my Kindle 1 yesterday and this morning I UPS it and all my accessories to the new owner. Now, I'm patiently waiting for mine Kindle2, ship date March 2nd (yes, I'm to cheap to pay for shipping ). But before feeling sorry for me, I still have mine Sony PRS-505!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
But before feeling sorry for me, I still have mine Sony PRS-505!
Oh, now I really feel sorry for you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was thinking of selling my Kindle1 now, too -- since I've gotten back into reading the paperback (or hardback) books I already own. I could read those till my new K2 arrives. But i dunno .... it's nice to have the K1 as a backup. One can never have too much technology.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, that's right I no longer have a Kindle. I sold my Kindle 1 yesterday and this morning I UPS it and all my accessories to the new owner. Now, I'm patiently waiting for mine Kindle2, ship date March 2nd (yes, I'm to cheap to pay for shipping ). But before feeling sorry for me, I still have mine Sony PRS-505!
And you can remove the DRM from those AZW eBooks and convert to LRF or ePub for your 505 so you don't have to give up reading what you've purchased. Of course, you'll need to know the PID and to get the PID, you'll need the serial number so you can use the Python script to generate the PID based on the serial number.

Go Calibre!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you sell your Kindle and no longer have a Kindle, what happens to all the eBooks you've previously purchased?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
From Amazon's terms and conditions:

Quote:
Use of Digital Content. Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content will be deemed licensed to you by Amazon under this Agreement unless otherwise expressly provided by Amazon.
So this seems to me like you could keep them but you wouldn't be able to read them until such time as Amazon authorizes other devices or a software reader. They have already promised some phones will be able to read books. It's unspecific at this time.

Technically, as you say, you can strip the DRM and read them on your computer or any other device that can read .mobi or a format you can convert to. However, that's against their terms as well:

Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly or Circumvention. You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Device or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Device or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, including, but not limited to, augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Device or Software.

Currently in my library on Amazon's site I can opt to download to a Kindle or to my computer. I don't know if all download options would go away if I had no Kindle registered. Maybe Lilly could tell us. If I planned to strip the DRM and hold on to the files, I would probably make sure I had them all backed up before, just to be sure.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If people who do sell their K1 before they have a K2 lose their purchased content, then I know there's going to be a huge outcry. I hope Amazon does the right thing and allow the content to be saved (but not downloaded again) until there was a Kindle registered again.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Don't feel bad, I've been running "Kindle-less" since nigh-on forever. That's why they invented Cybooks, PRSes, Jinkes and iLiads!

Of course, if all you Kindle-owner-wannabes would just get off your tails and pre-order a Kindle 2 through the link in my signature, I'd gladly join the ranks!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Currently in my library on Amazon's site I can opt to download to a Kindle or to my computer.
I didn't realize that you could download them to your computer. This would seem to imply that non-U.S. customers could actually use the Kindle to get access to Amazon's content (they don't need Whispernet). They just download to their computer and then use the USB cable to transfer to the Kindle. Or am I missing something here?

I suppose Amazon may not take Kindle orders from outside the U.S. but that just provides an opportunity for a middleman.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you can remove the DRM from those AZW eBooks and convert to LRF or ePub for your 505 so you don't have to give up reading what you've purchased. Of course, you'll need to know the PID and to get the PID, you'll need the serial number so you can use the Python script to generate the PID based on the serial number.

Go Calibre!
That's exactly what I've been doing. I bought a ton of books from Amazon last night before I deregistered my Kindle. I then deDRM them and loaded them to my Sony. So now I can patiently wait for mine Kindle; like I said before, I was too cheap to pay for shipping!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I bought a Kindle 1 shortly after they appeared and returned it Shortly after mailing it in, I discovered I could have sold it for almost twice as much on eBay. Anyway, the main thing I didn't like about the Kindle 1 was that I kept hitting the wings unintentionally and going to another page. The Kindle 2 looks to be a big improvement.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was thinking of selling my Kindle1 now, too -- since I've gotten back into reading the paperback (or hardback) books I already own. I could read those till my new K2 arrives. But i dunno .... it's nice to have the K1 as a backup. One can never have too much technology.

It's good to have a back-up. I could not have done it, if I did not have mine PRS-505. Still it was hard to pack it up and deregister it; for a minute I had second thoughts, I did not realize how attached I was to that Kindle! I starrred at it for what must be a good 10 minutes before sealing the box!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Don't feel bad, I've been running "Kindle-less" since nigh-on forever. That's why they invented Cybooks, PRSes, Jinkes and iLiads!

Of course, if all you Kindle-owner-wannabes would just get off your tails and pre-order a Kindle 2 through the link in my signature, I'd gladly join the ranks!

Derek
Of course, if you really want to help someone out, help out a really nice lady (my wife) own a BeBook by using the email address when you purchase a BeBook to get a discount and help her get one.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's exactly what I've been doing. I bought a ton of books from Amazon last night before I deregistered my Kindle. I then deDRM them and loaded them to my Sony. So now I can patiently wait for mine Kindle; like I said before, I was too cheap to pay for shipping!
Way to go!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I bought a Kindle 1 shortly after they appeared and returned it Shortly after mailing it in, I discovered I could have sold it for almost twice as much on eBay. Anyway, the main thing I didn't like about the Kindle 1 was that I kept hitting the wings unintentionally and going to another page. The Kindle 2 looks to be a big improvement.
I definitely preffer the design of the Kindle2, but I think most people who bought a PRS-505 will like the form factor of the new Kindle. Since I had the PRS-505 10 months before even buying a Kindle, I love the thinness and sleek look of the new Kindle. it's really strange, I had no urge to ditch my PRS-505 for a PRS-700, that's why I had to let Kindle1 go, the urge to upgrade to a newer model. How can we have a successful relationship when I have these urges!