Read the entire series from start to finish. 60 38.71%
Read until fed up, read another book, and return. 52 33.55%
Read one book from series, then another, and return. 33 21.29%
Read two or more series at once. 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Tanks for all the input up to now

I've also noticed something else; something I do not like. I get distracted by "what to read next" due to the sheer number of options I have available, both in paper, as in eBooks. "Should I read the next Shannara book, or should I start with the first book of Mallorean after this one? Should I do something completely different?" At some point, I get the feeling that I want to read everything, except the book I'm through already for over 70%. And it's not because I don't like the book I'm reading now; I have it with all boks, the past few weeks.

And.... Uhh... Guys. Could someone split the "Read Discworld in order!" vs. "Read it using a map!"-fight into another topic? I think it would be more productive and the carnage could be bigger as none are distracted from the fight in question

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Could someone split the "Read Discworld in order!" vs. "Read it using a map!"-fight into another topic? I think it would be more productive and the carnage could be bigger as none are distracted from the fight in question
Start the new thread yourself.
(Make sure you have lots of popcorn handy.)
Debates like that are irresistible to the vested ones so its easy to get them to take it out back. They can settle it after school.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #63
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Since I read mostly fluffy things, I find that it is better to put space between books in a series or else the plots run together and I can't recall which events occurred in which books.

I alternate other books in between books of a series. It also keeps me from getting tired of a particular set of characters or setting.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
As someone who hasn't started reading the DW series yet, I have to say that the map is helping me plan my reading order. I am glad BeccaPrice posted it, as the sheer amount of installments can be quite discouraing to someone completely new to the series.
But, given that you are new to Discworld, how do you know the map is a good idea? You don't and it isn't.

Quote:
read them in publication order so that you can enjoy the evolution of all the minor characters.
Quote:
The books take place roughly in real time and the characters' ages change to reflect the passing of years. The meeting of various characters from different narrative threads (e.g. Ridcully and Granny Weatherwax in Lords and Ladies, Rincewind and Carrot in The Last Hero) indicates that all the main storylines take place around the same period of time (end of the Century of the Fruitbat, beginning of the Century of the Anchovy).

Many stories (such as The Truth and Monstrous Regiment) nominally stand alone but, nonetheless, tie in heavily with main storylines. Many of these "standalone" stories deal with the development of the city of Ankh-Morpork into a technologically and magically advanced metropolis that readers will find analogous to real-world cities: for example, The Truth catalogues the rise of a newspaper service for the city, the Ankh-Morpork Times.

Some main characters may make cameo appearances in other books where they are not the primary focus; for example, City Watch members Carrot Ironfoundersson and Angua appear briefly in Going Postal and Making Money (placing those books after Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms). A number of characters, such as members of staff of Unseen University and Lord Vetinari, appear prominently in many different storylines without having specific storylines of their own.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-05-2013 at 05:48 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #65
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You just can't quit, can you? I'm done.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #66
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I rarely read entire series. More often than not I find myself losing interest after a few books.
Me too.

I'll try the first book in a series to see how it goes. Usually the first one is the best because everything is novel (). After that they can get predictable after a while. That's how it went for me reading Harry Potter and Hunger Games; I lost interest after the first book or two and never went back.

On the other hand, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series I read end-to-end, riveted, and then rushed out to watch the movies; all 4 of them! So, I guess for me it all depends on personal taste and how interesting I find the particular material.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You just can't quit, can you? I'm done.
That was posted before I read Katsunami's request for all of us to stop. I've not posted any more since and I'm going to honor the request.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

How I read a series depends on the series. Some I've read straight through because it captured my attention that well. Others I've started and stop and still have to go back to. But those are ones where the books are not leaving a cliff hanger.

The problem now is that I have a lot to read. So instead of reading a series straight on, I'm taking a break in between each book with another book. The Word & Void series I am now reading is a different book in between each.

What I plan on doing is making a list of series I am reading so I know where I left off on each one. I am going to use FictFact to keep track. That way I'll get notified if any more books in a series I am reading have come out.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #69
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Some series I stared back when with the first book published.
Som series I started with whatever I found in the Used bookstore. If I liked that, I try and [I]backfill[/I, preferably in publication order.

When I reread, I may only read the early books (the good ones before more were being written to meet demand )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #70
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I enjoy and follow many series, and have developed my own system. I will read the latest oneas soon as ai get itand then go back and read the entire series from start to the latest one published. In some cases that is 20-30 books. But well worth th pleasure I gain from this method of immersing myself in the author's stories. If it is a trilogy, I try to read all three back to back.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #71
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
re: Pratchett, you don't have to - probably don't want to - read them all in publication order. This map gives the sub-series. for example, I love the City Watch stories, but could live without Rincewynd (or however it's spelled) and the other wizards. On the other hand, Granny Weatherwax FTW.
The Watch stories are my favorite, with the Death and Witches stories close behind. I'm not as fond of the Rincewind/Wizard stories - but I'd still eagerly read one if a new one came out. I would not recommend starting with the first book, "The Color of Magic", Pratchett hasn't really shaken all the kinks out yet. I think I would start with "Guards! Guards!" from the watch stories or "Equal Rites" from the Witches stories, or perhaps skip over Equal Rites to "Weird Sisters".
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #72
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The same way I read non series books. One page at a time.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
The Watch stories are my favorite, with the Death and Witches stories close behind. I'm not as fond of the Rincewind/Wizard stories - but I'd still eagerly read one if a new one came out. I would not recommend starting with the first book, "The Color of Magic", Pratchett hasn't really shaken all the kinks out yet. I think I would start with "Guards! Guards!" from the watch stories or "Equal Rites" from the Witches stories, or perhaps skip over Equal Rites to "Weird Sisters".
There was a request to stop this Discworld talk and get back on topic. Please no more about Discworld.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #74
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If it is as JSWolf says, that Terry Pratchett never refers back in time (like Terry Brooks does), then I'll probably read Discworld in published order first time through. Although, I'll not read all 37 (38, 40?) books one after another, that's for sure, with a series of this length.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If it is as JSWolf says, that Terry Pratchett never refers back in time (like Terry Brooks does), then I'll probably read Discworld in published order first time through. Although, I'll not read all 37 (38, 40?) books one after another, that's for sure, with a series of this length.
So far I've read the first 21 Discworld books and only one of them was not all that good. It was #18 Maskerade