Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Rene046
Rene046 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket boook pro 603
Author problem

I updated to last vesion 7.42 but if i now select a author in edit mode from list lets say Luc Deflo Calibre given me: LLuc Deflo & is this normal.

if is start by typing a few leters and select the author from the list i get Luc Deflo &

this was not happening in previous version.

regards Rene
Rene046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is normal behavior. The & has been added in case you want to specify a second author. If you do not do so it is removed when you press OK
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Rene046

And why does the first letter stay in the text ?
I get LLuc Deflo & instead of Luc Deflo

so if i dont add a second author i get a & sign in every cover if I let Calibre create one not very nice the version before was better for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene046 View Post
And why does the first letter stay in the text ?
I get LLuc Deflo & instead of Luc Deflo
This happens to me occasionally when adding tags. I start to type in a tag then select something from the dropdown history and end up with two first letters. I haven't reported it because I have worked hard enough to figure out a way to repeat it consistently.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
The repeating first letter happens to me when I'm adding tags that have more than one word, and if I select a tag from the dropdown history after I hit the space bar. It's a little hard to explain. If I'm trying to add "Urban Fantasy" as a tag, and if I type "U" and select "Urban Fantasy" it adds just fine. But if I type "Urban" then hit the space bar and then select "Urban Fantasy" I end up with two Us: "UUrban Fantasy".
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
I updated to last vesion 7.42 but if i now select a author in edit mode from list lets say Luc Deflo Calibre given me: LLuc Deflo & is this normal.

if is start by typing a few leters and select the author from the list i get Luc Deflo &

this was not happening in previous version.

regards Rene
It is funny you indicated this because I never noticed Calibre doing this until I upgraded to 7.42 also. Wasn't sure if it was normal behavior - I am experiencing the same thing.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
It is funny you indicated this because I never noticed Calibre doing this until I upgraded to 7.42 also. Wasn't sure if it was normal behavior - I am experiencing the same thing.
Having the & symbol is new to 0.7.42 and is expected behavior, pressing OK or enter removes the & if there no second author. The double letter in the beginning of the selection is the bug here. Although I can't recreate this bug in the author field.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-28-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
A fix will be in the next release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Rene046

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Having the & symbol is new to 0.7.42 and is expected behavior, pressing OK or enter removes the & if there no second author. The double letter in the beginning of the selection is the bug here. Although I can't recreate this bug in the author field.
Ok but that i already now ,but have you also tryed to create a cover .... ?

Because it's also adding the & in the cover what anoying that i always first must delete something, better would be if i make the choice to add a & if is needed.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The double letter issue has been corrected. I will look into the extra & bein added when generating covers later today.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
have you also tryed to create a cover .... ?

Because it's also adding the & in the cover what anoying that i always first must delete something, better would be if i make the choice to add a & if is needed.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. No one else had reported that problem. User_none is looking into it and this forum is a great place to flesh out problems.

FYI in order to ensure bug reports don't vanish in the clutter of posts here in the forum there is a way to report bugs to the project team, read here for more info.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
user_none

I can only recreate the issue with the cover if there is an & symbol at the end of the author string in the metadata window. If you save the changes and reopen the window the extra & is removed as it should be.

So the only way I can get the generated cover to include an extra and symbol is if it is actually in the author field.

Either save the changes and generate the cover or manually remove the added & symbol at the end of the author field. Unfortunately, there is no way to know when you've finished adding authors unless you save the changes.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@user_none: I already committed a fix for the & in the cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
user_none

That makes sense why I can't recreate the issue.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Question

This "&" is just plain annoying. Is there a way to turn this feature off? It is rare that my books have multiple authors, and I don't need Calibre to put this in for me. I would rather type it myself if/when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This is normal behavior. The & has been added in case you want to specify a second author. If you do not do so it is removed when you press OK
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote