Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Another person

Hullo, I've recently joined up, so I figured an introductory thread wouldn't be out of place.

I'm Ryan A. Span, I write the STREET series of cyberpunk novels for Gryphonwood Press, which you can also read online for free. I also write other things, but you can't read them anywhere yet.

I enjoy candlelit dinners, long walks on the beach and intimate get-togethers. All of this is a lie.

Truthfully, I'm an avid fencer, spec-fic afficionado, cyclist, game designer and world traveller. It's a lot less interesting than it sounds, but I'm friendly enough, so with any luck I should fit in.

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead Ryan.

It' always nice to have authors join the forum, there are several resident ones here now. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on which format your eBooks should be available in.

We like friendly people, and animals too, so I'm sure you'll fit right in. Just jump in on any forum and make some comments. The lounge is available when you tire of eBook related topics.

Your profile says you have a netbook. If you're looking to get an eInk device there'll be lots of help here in helping you decide which one to get.

(I'm tempted to make a joke about fencing, but I'll refrain since you're a newbie.)

Welcome to the forum,

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

It' always nice to have authors join the forum, there are several resident ones here now. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on which format your eBooks should be available in.
Thanks. Where formats are concerned, I offer some free PDFs on my site, and you can buy it in many different formats from Smashwords. There's also a Kindle version available in addition to the dead tree version.

Quote:
Your profile says you have a netbook. If you're looking to get an eInk device there'll be lots of help here in helping you decide which one to get.
I'm quite happy with my little netbook, I've just got it and I take it everywhere. Don't really have the budget for any more gadgets though.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Ryan, welcome to MR!

Quote:
...(I'm tempted to make a joke about fencing, but I'll refrain since you're a newbie.)...
Oh, go ahead!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Winter! Welcome!

Pardon the ignorance, but what's a spec-fic afficionado ?

Penny
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ryan and welcome to MobileRead. If you are friendly, you will fit right in here!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
HI and welcome to MR, Ryan

Quote:

{SNIP}
WDE.
As WDE already said, it is nice to have authors join in on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Winter! Welcome!

Penny
Oh! Oh! I think I know this **let me know if this is not right..***

I came across this on MR author member Steve Jordan's website.... http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/novels.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	34234Click me

Also, from Wikipedia..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction

Quote:
Speculative fiction is a fiction genre speculating about worlds that are unlike the real world in various important ways. In these contexts, it generally overlaps one or more of the following: science fiction, fantasy fiction, horror fiction, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternate history.

The term is used this way in academic and ideological criticism of these genres, as well as by some readers, writers, and editors of these genres.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
Winter
Enthusiast

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Winter! Welcome!

Penny
dreams is right -- spec-fic is sort of a catch-all term the publishing industry likes to use for SF/fantasy/horror and anything else that uses a bit more imagination than other genres.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Ryan!

With your sense of humor, I have a feeling you'll fit right in here at MR. Make sure you spend a little time in the Lounge. We have a great time talking about all kinds of topics in there, the more esoteric, the better!

Happy reading (and writing)!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote