Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #181
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW's light diffuser is a diffraction grating, hence colour fringing is inherent in its design. Really Amazon need to make this clear in their advertising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #182
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
To be honest, right now in daylight the screen of the PW is absolutely fine. I'm alternating reading on the PW and K3... sometimes the PW looks better, sometimes the K3 looks better and most of the time there's no difference, however my K3 seems to have slightly better contrast

Last edited by Yolina; 01-31-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #183
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, I have to say Amazon Kindle Support and Andrew are really going above and beyond for me. Cheers to them for such great support.

I was pretty disappointed when I noticed the glowing specks. The only positive is they are in the white area when I'm reading so they don't interfere with the text, but I do notice them when I turn a page as they flash. Still, obviously, I'd rather they not be there at all. Andrew asked me to take a pic and email to him so I did that and he called back and send they wanted to send me another one.

They sent it 1 day mail, I'll have it tomorrow. The hues I expect to be there, but I'm hoping for no glowing specks. I told Andrew I believe they all suffer from the hues to varying degrees. However, the screen on this last one is definitely better, whiter and the hues are very faint and most of the time I don't notice them, so hopefully the screen on this next one will be just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Right, it's here but it looks like it's going to go back for a refund... Screen looks ok at light settings up to 12, any higher than that and it's pink and green, also has some light bleed on the left side about an inch up from the bottom I'm going to use it today so that it gets a fair "real-life test" but right now I'm rather disappointed.

Edit: it's a 503 batch with firmware 5.3.1 so it looks like, at least in the UK, they still have a stock of older batch PW to get rid of...
That's how I find them all to be, Yolina. The hues really only show up once you have the brightness up at the higher settings. If you use the PW at lower light settings, you probably won't notice them. I'm sorry you're disappointed, I know how you feel.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #184
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PW's light diffuser is a diffraction grating, hence colour fringing is inherent in its design. Really Amazon need to make this clear in their advertising.
The one thing that surprises me is (and I'll be probably skinned alive for saying it): Why do people want a screen that looks as even as an LCD, while they know that it is not an LCD but a front light? On a different forum I actually saw someone posting that he would be going back to his Touch with clip-on reading light because the PW screen was not perfectly even. I find that strange reasoning. A Kindle Touch with clip-on light is even more uneven an has far less brightness control.

As said in another thread: batches have nothing to do with this. My Kindle is batch 502, so it's even older than Yolina's 503. The screen is absolutely perfect, right up to setting 24. It has the expected alternating shadow/hotspot part on the bottom because of the four LED's, but there are no color fringes that I can see. And as someone who takes a lot of pictures, and looks at calibrated monitors most of the time I know what to look for and if there had been a color fringe, I would have seen it.

Could be that I'm just extremely lucky with my Kindle PW; I don't know. Please note that I am not saying that there are no problems. Probably, there are, and will always be Kindles with real problems. Still, I think that people who keep swapping Kindles to find one with a perfectly even screen are on a futile quest, as it is just not possible with a front light yet. I think Amazon did as well as could be expected; and better than I expected personally.

By the way: posting pictures is of no help. The *slightest* focusing error can create chromatic abberations, which means that the edges of the letters will take on a green or purple cast. This is caused by the lens, not being able to handle the extreme contrast. This will be worse on the higher settings, as the contrast is higher. Also, some lenses are more sensitive to this than others. (Especially cheaper lenses are sensitive to this problem.) Here's some proof. Please note that I took these pictures with a manual focus camera, high speed lens, and no tripod. They may not be tack sharp.

Kindle on setting 13, on top of a high quality sheet of white paper, in the room and under lighting in which I normally read:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012041.JPG

Looks perfectly fine to me. This is my normal reading setting. To compare:

5:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012036.JPG

10:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012037.JPG

15:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012038.JPG

20. The camera is starting to have difficulties. The screen is becoming greenish.
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012039.JPG

24. Fringing galore:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...n/_0012040.JPG

Now... complete blackness. Normally, I read between setting 10 and 13. It varies a bit with regard to my eyesight. As there is nothing else to see but the Kindle, the camera can handle the light better; it does not need to take other colors (white balance) into account. However, setting 20 and 24 are more troublesome to it than the lower settings.

5:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...f/_0012044.JPG

10:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...f/_0012045.JPG

15:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...f/_0012046.JPG

20: Here there is some purple fringing in the middle of the screen.
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...f/_0012047.JPG

24: This setting is obout to overexpose the sensor of the camera.
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/mis...f/_0012048.JPG

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #185
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, I have to say Amazon Kindle Support and Andrew are really going above and beyond for me. Cheers to them for such great support.

I was pretty disappointed when I noticed the glowing specks. The only positive is they are in the white area when I'm reading so they don't interfere with the text, but I do notice them when I turn a page as they flash. Still, obviously, I'd rather they not be there at all. Andrew asked me to take a pic and email to him so I did that and he called back and send they wanted to send me another one.

They sent it 1 day mail, I'll have it tomorrow. The hues I expect to be there, but I'm hoping for no glowing specks. I told Andrew I believe they all suffer from the hues to varying degrees. However, the screen on this last one is definitely better, whiter and the hues are very faint and most of the time I don't notice them, so hopefully the screen on this next one will be just as good.

That's how I find them all to be, Yolina. The hues really only show up once you have the brightness up at the higher settings. If you use the PW at lower light settings, you probably won't notice them. I'm sorry you're disappointed, I know how you feel.
Good luck hon! I know on my PW you turn it on the highest setting and there is no hues so they are out there.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #186
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Good luck hon! I know on my PW you turn it on the highest setting and there is no hues so they are out there.
Thanks Blossom! I'll let everyone know how it goes... yet again! I have to say, I'm pretty happy with this last one, if it wasn't for the specks. I could even live with the specks since they don't interfere with the my reading experience, but since they said they wanted to send another, I figure I may as well let them try. It would be nice if this one also had an equally nice screen and was speck-less. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #187
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Blossom! I'll let everyone know how it goes... yet again! I have to say, I'm pretty happy with this last one, if it wasn't for the specks. I could even live with the specks since they don't interfere with the my reading experience, but since they said they wanted to send another, I figure I may as well let them try. It would be nice if this one also had an equally nice screen and was speck-less. Fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed for you too! I sometimes see brief green glowing specks on mine after a page turn but I blink and they are gone. I wonder if sometimes they get stuck causing the glowing effect.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #188
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Good luck

It's evening now here and I have to say under artificial light, and provided that the light source falls on the screen, my PW does look rather good so there's a chance I could keep it after all

I don't do "reading in the dark" normally, which is just as well as it's rather unpleasant to look at the screen in that case. However, I've found that by using my clip-on light (used twice in 28 months!) and having the PW light at around 15, I then get quite a decent overall effect so that could do if I really needed to.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #189
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Good luck

It's evening now here and I have to say under artificial light, and provided that the light source falls on the screen, my PW does look rather good so there's a chance I could keep it after all

I don't do "reading in the dark" normally, which is just as well as it's rather unpleasant to look at the screen in that case. However, I've found that by using my clip-on light (used twice in 28 months!) and having the PW light at around 15, I then get quite a decent overall effect so that could do if I really needed to.
That's great! I'm glad you think it might work for you, after all. I REALLY love the PW overall which is why I can't seem to give up on it!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #190
Yolina
Wizard

It is nice overall I'm just trying to find out whether I'm totally happy with the screen under my usual reading conditions. I have to say that seeing that green sploge in the centre of the screen festooned with some pink at the top when I first turned it on after receiving it was rather disheartening (sending the thing out with the light at 22 probably wasn't a great idea I think)... Not the best first impression really.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #191
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It is nice overall I'm just trying to find out whether I'm totally happy with the screen under my usual reading conditions. I have to say that seeing that green sploge in the centre of the screen festooned with some pink at the top when I first turned it on after receiving it was rather disheartening (sending the thing out with the light at 22 probably wasn't a great idea I think)... Not the best first impression really.
It blinded me! I had to go through the whole setup with that light setting. I was seeing pink spots for half an hour. I started using the PW at 8 then after my eyes grew use to the front lit I have it set to 11 or 10 in lighting and 5 to 3 in the dark. I do use a custom font which helps so much with contrast.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #192
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you too! I sometimes see brief green glowing specks on mine after a page turn but I blink and they are gone. I wonder if sometimes they get stuck causing the glowing effect.
I'm not sure, but I was hoping maybe I could massage them out, haha, which I actually tried doing. Desperation mode. Here's the pic I took for Andrew. You can easily see them when they lay over a dark background. I don't see them when I'm reading as they always seem to lay over the white area even when I change fonts and settings.

Quote:
Yes, this is true, the light up high has always magnified the color hues on mine. I tend to use mine at lower light levels now so I rarely see them and even up high they are not bad at all on my current PW. I'll likely keep it even despite the glowing specks if my next PW screen is worse is some way. Good luck with whatever you decide with yours.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #193
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
It blinded me! I had to go through the whole setup with that light setting. I was seeing pink spots for half an hour.
Try the Kobo Glo. In comparison video's, it seems to be twice as bright as the Kindle PW. At the least. Have fun
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #194
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Try the Kobo Glo. In comparison video's, it seems to be twice as bright as the Kindle PW. At the least. Have fun
Yes but it does it come with the light all the way up as the PW does? On the PW as you know you have to go through the setup and tutorial before you can turn the light down.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #195
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I was hoping maybe I could massage them out, haha, which I actually tried doing. Desperation mode. Here's the pic I took for Andrew. You can easily see them when they lay over a dark background. I don't see them when I'm reading as they always seem to lay over the white area even when I change fonts and settings.

The one I gifted my sister had one of those specks. I call them holes in the screen, no idea what they really are. I know that speck would have driven me insane, but my sister is OK with it. Thank goodness, as I offered to her that we swap devices!

For me, the darker the screen, the more I see the color blotches. I wish it were the other way around, like for you guys, since I never have the light up too bright.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote