Tenzin_la
Tenzin_la began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've been on an Haruki Murakami kick. I'm reading Dance, Dance, Dance
Tenzin_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #22112
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Hudl 2 (occasionally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You might be interested to know that the MobileRead Book Club selection for this month is Cannery Row. We'll start discussing it on Monday, the 20th.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll see if I can maybe join in.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #22113
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
I'm almost done with Daniel Levine's Hyde, even though I'm only at about the 68% mark. This is because the original The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde is included as an appendix, starting at around the 77% mark. I'll probably continue with that, because the new book has me questioning some of what I "know" about the original. For instance, I remember Jekyll being the wimpy sort with Hyde being more of a hulking brute, but here Jekyll's the strong one and Hyde is more hunched and twisted.

I'll probably rate the new book around two stars, but that may change after I read the original. I have found the new book slow and sometimes awkward, and I'm not sure whether that's an attempt to emulate the original style or simple clumsiness. Whatever the case, I'm having trouble sustaining interest and will be glad to see the end of this book. I will give the author credit for certain linguistic choices, though; although it is jarring at first, it makes sense that Hyde would be well-versed in medical and scientific jargon.

In any case, I definitely need a palate cleanser after this. Not sure what it'll be yet, but I've gotta read something very different next.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #22114
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I really enjoyed that. So much that I'm going straight on to Sharpe's Fortress.
Which was also excellent. But I think I must take a break before continuing with the Sharpe books. So, something I bought ages ago:

To The Vanishing Point by Alan Dean Foster. An interesting fantasy road trip, that I'm sure I have read before (presumably near the time I bought it) but I just can't remember what happens.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #22115
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
A few I have read lately:
A Shred of Honour by David Donachie. Historical Fiction set in 1793. If you like the Sharpe Series you will like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/A-Shred-Honour...N%3DB00GQDQB80

The first three of Mark Schweizer's Liturgical Mysteries Series. A very humorous mystery series. Quite a few laugh out loud moments.
The Alto Wore Tweed
http://www.amazon.com/Alto-Wore-Twee...N%3DB003552TII
The Baritone Wore Chiffon
http://www.amazon.com/Baritone-Wore-...N%3DB0033WSZC2
The Tenor Wore Tapshoes
http://www.amazon.com/Tenor-Wore-Tap...N%3DB00342WHH0

Archie in the Crosshairs by Robert Goldsborough. This is his newest Nero Wolfe Mystery Series. He may not be Rex Stout, but the books are very enjoyable and highly recommended to any one who misses the Archie and Nero.
http://www.amazon.com/Archie-Crossha...N%3DB00Q5UWNDQ

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. I picked this one up because of the good reviews by MR members. It is well worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Goblin-Emp...N%3DB00FO6NPIO

I am currently reading Stand Against The Storm by Peter Grant. This is the fourth book in his Maxwell Saga Series. Science Fiction and an enjoyable series.
http://www.amazon.com/Stand-Against-...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #22116
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen), Kindle Fire HD6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just started it, and I'm hooked right from the very beginning. Thanks for the recommendation .
Yay! Did you end up enjoying the book as a whole?

I'm looking forward to book #2.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #22117
Dngrsone
Consider me unimpressed
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
About 37% through Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed. It's been a bit slow.

Next on the list is Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own; I read an excerpt for class, want to read the whole thing.

Not sure what I will read after that... got a few bundles recently, probably delve into them.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM   #22118
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
To The Vanishing Point by Alan Dean Foster. An interesting fantasy road trip, that I'm sure I have read before (presumably near the time I bought it) but I just can't remember what happens.
Well, it was fun, but not very memorable.

Next up: Asimov's SF for June 2015
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #22119
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Endangered by CJ Box and it was very good; one of his best.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #22120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Just finished "Melchior's Fire" by Jack L. Chalker, the 2nd book in the "Three Kings" trilogy. Eighty years after the disappearance of Dr Karl Woodward's mission to find the legendary "Three Kings" - three habitable planets in orbit around a gas giant - a wealthy entertainment producer hires a group of salvage experts who are down on their luck after a failed mission to try to follow Woodward and bring back some of the legendary treasures of the Three Kings.

A very enjoyable SF adventure story. I'm looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #22121
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Halfway through Dust of Dreams, book 9 of Malazan.

Erikson had a forward in the book saying that it's really part 1 of the end so I will just go right into The Crippled God after this to finish off the series.

I started reading these books last summer so its been a year long journey (with a few books in-between) and I will be sorry to see it end but at the same time, I can't wait to see how it ends.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #22122
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Melchior's Fire" by Jack L. Chalker, the 2nd book in the "Three Kings" trilogy. Eighty years after the disappearance of Dr Karl Woodward's mission to find the legendary "Three Kings" - three habitable planets in orbit around a gas giant - a wealthy entertainment producer hires a group of salvage experts who are down on their luck after a failed mission to try to follow Woodward and bring back some of the legendary treasures of the Three Kings.

A very enjoyable SF adventure story. I'm looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy.

So I looked this series up at Amazon because the premise sounds interesting. Amazon US only has book 3 in a Kindle edition

Last edited by mewmartigan; Yesterday at 03:23 PM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote