Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #511
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Those getting the files from Sync should make sure they got the entire download of the individual parts (I found a couple from last year that were incomplete, when I checked last week; they still played, but were short).

To do this (the easiest), rename the directory where you saved the files, open overdrive console and click to download. Since it can't find the files, it will tell you the parts and sizes; I find that on W7, the saved file should be exact 1K larger than the size indicated in order to be a full download. Once you've checked the sizes, just click cancel to exit the download dialog (or click to download the parts you didn't get as complete files). Then, go back and rename the directory to the name expected by ODM (if you had to download new parts, copy them to the original folder before deleting the one just created and doing the rename).

You can do this with any of the sync files, it seems, even last years downloads, so long as you don't delete them from overdrive and still have the license registered. I went back and redownloaded the few I had that were short (one, for example, was missing an entire chapter from one of the parts).
Thank you very much for posting this info. I added this post to the OP for reference.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #512
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I got it to work on Chrome. It automatically started playing, but if you right click anywhere on the page outside of the player, it offers a "Save as..." option. If you right ON the player, you get a "Save video as..." option which is NOT what you want.
Leave it to a BPH to screw up the downloading process - LOL
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #513
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Just as an FYI, apparently just for creating an account, they also give you As A Man Thinketh by James Allen for free.
So, you got it too. I was wondering where it came from. I thought maybe that I had created an account earlier, but couldn't remember for sure.

Anyway, I'll edit my post and add it to the OP - thanks much
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #514
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm revamping the OP. It's getting to be a bit long, so I'll be linking categories to individual posts in order to provide specific website links and more information. Additionally, I'm experimenting with the use of "spoiler tags" for minor sites to contain the lists in one line. Just hit "show" to see the specials.

cheers

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #515
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Dramas & Podcasts -- updated 05 Aug 2014

Here are some other sources containing audiobooks in the form of dramatized radio productions and podcasts. BBC Radio and Podiobooks are fantastic sources for these. Let me know if you find other sites. Thanks.

Ancient Faith Podcasts
Baen Podcasts
BBC Radio
  • FREE - BBC Radio Plays -- listing of current dramatisations, plays, and readings
  • FREE - BBC Radio 3 -- arts, classical, drama, jazz, world
  • FREE - BBC Radio 4 -- arts & culture, comedy, drama, history, politics, science & nature
  • FREE - BBC Radio 4 Extra -- comedy, drama, entertainment, factual
  • FREE - BBC Podcasts -- children, comedy, drama, factual, learn, music, news, religion, sports

Big Finish -- SoundCloud page
iTunes Podcasts -- iTunes U
LA Theatre Works --> details
  • FREE - Pub Lib OverDrive (variable titles) -- MP3 / WMA
  • $4.99+ - LA Theatre Works (355 titles) -- MP3 / CD
  • $6.95+ - Audible (350 titles) -- audible
  • $6.95 - Downpour (322 titles) -- MP3 / M4b

LearnOutLoud Podcasts (2,000+ titles)
  • TBA

Lit2Go
  • TBA

Podiobooks
Radio Archives Audiobooks
SFFaudio
  • TBA

Storynory
  • TBA

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-05-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Advert
Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #516
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

And here's another source for free audiobooks. ThoughtAudio has 98 free titles of classic literature and philosophy ranging from poems to speeches to documents to short stories to novels. All of the titles are narrated by the owner of the website, Michael Scott.

These MP3 titles are free, but must be downloaded in individual segments. Quite a pain; especially for the larger titles. If you buy a yearly $10 Zip Pass, you can download each title in a single zip file.

Here's a partial list of some of the 98 available titles
  • Candide -- Voltaire
  • The Monkey's Paw -- WW Jacobs
  • Alice in Wonderland -- Lewis Carroll
  • Main Street -- Sinclair Lewis
  • Call of the Wild -- Jack London
  • Bartleby the Scrivener -- Herman Melville
  • Don Quixote -- Miguel de Cervantes
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Heart of Darkness -- Joseph Conrad
  • War of the Worlds -- HG Wells
  • The Art of War -- Sun Tzu
  • Siddhartha -- Herman Hesse
  • The Prince -- Nicollo Machiavelli
  • Around the World in 80 Days -- Jules Verne
  • The Red Badge of Courage -- Stephen Crane
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -- F Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Fall of the House of Usher -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens
  • The Dead -- James Joyce
  • The Waste Land -- TS Eliot
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow -- Washington Irving
  • The Communist Manifesto -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
  • Charge of the Light Brigade -- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
  • Twas the Night Before Christmas -- Clement Clarke Moore
  • The Gift of the Magi -- O Henry
...plus works by Mark Twain, Leo Tolstoy, Oscar Wilde, Ayn Rand, Anton Chekhov, Bram Stoker, Immanuel Kant, Plato, Shakespeare, Henry James, Robert Frost, etc
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #517
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Other Sources for Free Audiobooks

Here are some other sources to check out for free audiobooks. Many are available in the form of podcasts or dramatized radio productions. BBC Radio is a fantastic source for the latter. Check them out and let me know if you find other sites. Thanks.
BBC Radio is good, but I've run into cases where some of the podcasts are geo-restricted. A good example was that they ran some Torchwood audio exclusives and then made them available as podcasts, but the podcasts couldn't be downloaded in the US. Easily solved with a UK proxy, but still wanted to point it out. The live streams and the replays available for a week after the program seem to be available worldwide... I've been a fan of Radio 4 Extra (formerly Radio 7) for a long time.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #518
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which OS and browser are you using?
Safari and Firefox on Mac OS 10.6.8. Firefox will usually download files that Safari tries to display in a browser window, but not this time.

Thanks to everybody who has replied.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #519
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Try downloading from this link, where three of the stories (including the Gaiman one) are listed. Seems as if these were all posted quite some time ago.
Thanks. I haven't checked SFF audio for a week or so, even though I use to look there regularly.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #520
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
BBC Radio is good, but I've run into cases where some of the podcasts are geo-restricted. A good example was that they ran some Torchwood audio exclusives and then made them available as podcasts, but the podcasts couldn't be downloaded in the US. Easily solved with a UK proxy, but still wanted to point it out. The live streams and the replays available for a week after the program seem to be available worldwide... I've been a fan of Radio 4 Extra (formerly Radio 7) for a long time.
I haven't been able to find a UK proxy. Which one do you use? Is it a free one?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #521
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I haven't been able to find a UK proxy. Which one do you use? Is it a free one?
S
For the purposes of downloading a podcast, a web-based proxy such as DaveProxy was good enough if I recall. It's been several months since I last tried this. It can be difficult finding a working free one, but a little persistence can pay off.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #522
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Thanks!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #523
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

New Deal of the Week at Downpour
  • Criminal by Karin Slaughter ($5.95) -- exp 10 Jul

Also available from Amazon Whispersync for $3.99 - if you own the $7.99 Kindle book.

Quote:
Karin Slaughter’s new thriller is an epic tale of love, loyalty, and murder that encompasses forty years, two chillingly similar murder cases, and a good man’s deepest secrets.

Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is inexplicably kept off the case by his supervisor and mentor, deputy director Amanda Wagner. Will cannot fathom Amanda’s motivation, until the two of them literally collide in an abandoned orphanage they have both been drawn to for different reasons. Decades before*—when Will’s father was imprisoned for murder—this was his home…

Flash back nearly forty years: In the summer Will Trent was born, Amanda Wagner is taking her first steps in the boy’s club that is the Atlanta police department. One of her first cases is to investigate a brutal crime in one of the city’s worst neighborhoods. Amanda and her partner Evelyn are the only ones who seem to care if an arrest is ever made. Now the case that launched Amanda’s career has suddenly come back to life, and it is intertwined with the long-held mystery of Will’s birth and parentage.

Each will need to face down demons from the past if they are to prevent an even greater terror from being unleashed on Atlanta today.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #524
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

SYNC Week 6 is now available -- exp 10 Jul
Details in this thread
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #525
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
Downpour is having a sale from now until 7/8/13, over 700 audiobook downloads are priced from $7.99 to 11.99 each.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote