Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
ScottyAG
ScottyAG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Unhappy Calibre Not Connecting to Kindle Fire Via USB

I have looked in your sticky section and followed the instructions for getting my Kindle Fire connected via an USB post to no avail. And as far as I can tell it doesn't even see the device via USB in the debug log.

As you can see, it does attempt to connect via a wireless network connection, but not USB.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and even removed all traces of Calibre using regedit.

My Laptop is a XP based machine using Windows XP SP3 and it DOES see the USB device via explorer as "Other" Drive labeled as a "Kindle" and the type is "Portable media player".

And yes, under Preferences > Advanced > Plugins, the Kindle device plugin IS enabled.

Another note is that the GUI is NOT showing the Send to Device or Device icons. They are missing totally.

Here is the log file contents.

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.70
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 6.25 seconds with 0 books
SMART_DEV ( 0.25: 0.250) startup_on_demand All IP addresses {'MS TCP Loopback interface': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], '{00D5F3B7-2FC0-432E-91D6-D4AE279A693E}': [{'broadcast': '192.168.1.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.1.3'}]}
SMART_DEV ( 0.62: 0.078) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 18800
SMART_DEV ( 1.61: 0.859) startup_on_demand listening on port 18800
SMART_DEV ( 1.81: 0.031) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.94: 0.015) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982

I can in fact connect to the Kindle Via the wireless connection through the Kindles Silk browser.

But I am a PC hardware kind of guy and I always prefer to use cables.

Can you give me a clue as to why I can't connect via USB? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your attention and reply.

ScottyAG
ScottyAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyAG View Post
I have looked in your sticky section and followed the instructions for getting my Kindle Fire connected via an USB post to no avail. And as far as I can tell it doesn't even see the device via USB in the debug log.

As you can see, it does attempt to connect via a wireless network connection, but not USB.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and even removed all traces of Calibre using regedit.

My Laptop is a XP based machine using Windows XP SP3 and it DOES see the USB device via explorer as "Other" Drive labeled as a "Kindle" and the type is "Portable media player".

And yes, under Preferences > Advanced > Plugins, the Kindle device plugin IS enabled.

Another note is that the GUI is NOT showing the Send to Device or Device icons. They are missing totally.

Here is the log file contents.

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.70
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 6.25 seconds with 0 books
SMART_DEV ( 0.25: 0.250) startup_on_demand All IP addresses {'MS TCP Loopback interface': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], '{00D5F3B7-2FC0-432E-91D6-D4AE279A693E}': [{'broadcast': '192.168.1.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.1.3'}]}
SMART_DEV ( 0.62: 0.078) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 18800
SMART_DEV ( 1.61: 0.859) startup_on_demand listening on port 18800
SMART_DEV ( 1.81: 0.031) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.94: 0.015) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982

I can in fact connect to the Kindle Via the wireless connection through the Kindles Silk browser.

But I am a PC hardware kind of guy and I always prefer to use cables.

Can you give me a clue as to why I can't connect via USB? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your attention and reply.

ScottyAG
The Red (above) is the reason
They disabled MTP support on XP because of issues.
If you have W7, it should work.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ScottyAG

Do you know which version they stopped that support? And If I downgrade, can I expect any really strange problems or issues? I Don't have a Windows 7 systems. Only an XP based notebook.

It does have an Ubuntu partition, however I am NOT a Unix head. I just installed to play around and never seem to have enough time to learn Linux.

I am just wondering if I downgrade if I will have any real issues?

Thanks for your quick reply.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Do you know which version they stopped that support? And If I downgrade, can I expect any really strange problems or issues? I Don't have a Windows 7 systems. Only an XP based notebook.

It does have an Ubuntu partition, however I am NOT a Unix head. I just installed to play around and never seem to have enough time to learn Linux.

I am just wondering if I downgrade if I will have any real issues?

Thanks for your quick reply.
This is one choice (8.69 was the beta)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1

you might search the Calibre forum (MTP) and read some of the threads for other ideas
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
ScottyAG

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm in the process of downloading 8.69 now. I will post my results ASAP.

I just hope this solves the problem.

My whole purpose was to get non Amazon books to be listed in the "Books" section instead of the "Docs" area.

I had followed all those threads too, and got nowhere via wireless. Then I saw a thread saying that it needs to be done via a USB cable. So that's the whole reason for the change in transfer.

Man, I really feel sorry for all those folks out there who no NOTHING about PC's as software not to mention mobiles devices and book readers. They must be as confused as a caveman in a Best Buy.

Thanks again for you fast reply.
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Do you know which version they stopped that support?
MTP support is new, it has never been officially supported for Windows XP. MTP support was in beta in version 0.8.69 and worked in Windows XP for some folks and not for other folks. Since it did not operate reliably across all Windows XP systems it did not make the cut for the official calibre release of 0.8.70.

Quote:
And If I downgrade, can I expect any really strange problems or issues? I Don't have a Windows 7 systems. Only an XP based notebook.
Calibre version 0.8.69 should work fine for you but there is no guarantee that MTP support for your Fire will work. To have a chance to work follow the steps in the link theducks provided.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
ScottyAG

Thanks for your reply, DoctorOhh. So far using the patch on Windows XP SP3 sees the device and can catalog the library on the Kindle Fire.

I have sent books to the device, however it put the files in a folder under the "Books" sub-directory named for the author. I simply moved the files into the "Books" dir out of the sub-directory and the Kndle sees the files in the Books section of the Kindle.

I have not tested other behaviors yet. The primary use is a book reader and not yet another toy to play with.

Thanks again for your swift reply.