Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
learning2
learning2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Putting Kindle books on a nook?

I'm looking at getting a basic e-reader, and I like the Nook touch better than the Kindle touch (just played with them a bit at the stores, no extensive experience with either).

I'm wondering about how to make it more of a vendor-neutral reader, though: If I want to read a kindle book on a nook, it seems that there are two approaches: Get a converter program, convert the book on my computer than load it on the nook. Root the nook, add amazon app to it.

If anyone does either of these with a Nook touch, I'd like to hear recommendations.

If I root the nook, does that affect the way that it displays nook books as well? Is format conversion more of a hassle than it's worth?

Thanks!
learning2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Two options:

1. Root and install Amazon's Kindle app. Rooting should be relatively safe, but keep in mind that you're intentionally doing something that the reader wasn't initially designed to do. Things may break. But there's also a fairly large community of devs who are dedicated to this stuff and can help you out if you run into problems.

2. Remove DRM and convert. Neither step is difficult, but I will not talk about the former (DRM removal) here except to say, "Apprentice Alf is your friend". The latter is pretty trivial with Calibre. Mobi (Kindle's ebook format) converts to epub very nicely and Calibre is a mature product that has been doing it for a while, and in fact is often used by publishers and others to convert between various formats (gasp!).

I do option #2, simply because it's easy enough to do and I have no other reason to root my Nook STR.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
DuckFOO
Enthusiast
DuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: None
Something I've worried about, when converting Mobi to Epub, is text and layout fidelity. Has anyone ever performed a detail comparison of the result of this kind of conversion?
DuckFOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFOO View Post
Something I've worried about, when converting Mobi to Epub, is text and layout fidelity. Has anyone ever performed a detail comparison of the result of this kind of conversion?
Mobi to epub is actually pretty simple, since mobi is based on the Open eBook standard and epub is a further extension of the same standard. Both use a subset of XHTML, with epub supporting more than mobi.

Going the other way can be more difficult, as there are things you can do in epub layout that you can't do in mobi layout, as well as other features that are missing in mobi (TOC, for example). But very few books are so complicated as to cause a problem.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you are willing to remove drm from your books then on a rooted nook you can use coolreader for reading mobi as well as epub so no need for changing readers or converting etc.

Coolreader is way better for reading than nook's own reader as you can define all the 4 page turn buttons to do other things apart from turning pages. Ability to define the formatting you want and lot of different fonts.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The DRM removal method is pretty easy using the Calibre plugin, as others have said. You would buy the Amazon book using Kindle for PC and then remove the DRM. Then convert it to epub using Calibre again, and put it on your Nook. From what I have seen, the formatting in the epub is excellent.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Be careful that a very small portion of Amazon's books (mainly nonfiction I think) is in TOPAZ format which is a PITA to convert. I returned the one book I bought this way before I realized their existence (for a history class) and bought it from B&N instead for my Nook.

The effort to de-DRM Topaz and convert it wasn't worth it last I knew. Maybe it's gotten better.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The effort to de-DRM Topaz and convert it wasn't worth it last I knew. Maybe it's gotten better.
It has not unless I'm missing a program to do it with. I recently bought a $1.99 book and it was topaz so my only option is to read it on my Kindle app on iPad.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote