Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #541
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... so closing all open files and running processes (belonging to Nickel) has a good effect now? Makes sense, but you guys are getting me dizzy, on this point. I guess Koreader might start its own Dbus and not need the one Nickel started.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #542
strowger
strowger began at the beginning.

Device: various
Nightly build 504 is out.

I have a Kobo mini. Exiting koreader still reboots the Kobo.

Landscape mode now seems to work fine, without crashes, for both epubs and PDFs.
strowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #543
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by strowger View Post
Nightly build 504 is out.

I have a Kobo mini. Exiting koreader still reboots the Kobo.

Landscape mode now seems to work fine, without crashes, for both epubs and PDFs.
thanks for the info - just one question to be sure I am not doing anything wrong: once I have any version of koreader on my device, is it simply a matter of overwriting the koreader directory, or is there anything else I should be doing? (I am still on the 397 build) - I know this is ok if you have used Marksimus 1 step hack, but I just wanted to check whether this applies also for a "standard" installation.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #544
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks for the info - just one question to be sure I am not doing anything wrong: once I have any version of koreader on my device, is it simply a matter of overwriting the koreader directory, or is there anything else I should be doing? (I am still on the 397 build) - I know this is ok if you have used Marksimus 1 step hack, but I just wanted to check whether this applies also for a "standard" installation.
Giorgio posts somewhere that the koreader builds are also meant as 1-step-hacks---at least after you have some way of running scripts s.a. filemonitor.

I found it a better practice to rename the old koreader directory to e.g. koreader397 and copy the new koreader next to it.

If you do not want to move dictionaries and OCR-files(dict and tessdata dirs in koreader/data) every time, the koreader_kobo.sh files allows you to define directories separate from the install:
# export trained OCR data directory
export TESSDATA_PREFIX="../_Dict"

# export dict directory
export STARDICT_DATA_DIR="../_Dict/dict"
This would allow you to store the dict and tessdata dirs in a separate, new directory called _Dict in the .kobo directory.

If you do not want to edit the koreader_kobo.sh script every time you rename and copy, than you could move it to the .kobo directory, too. Just remember to tell filemonitor where it is.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #545
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... so closing all open files and running processes (belonging to Nickel) has a good effect now? Makes sense, but you guys are getting me dizzy, on this point. I guess Koreader might start its own Dbus and not need the one Nickel started.

Luck;
Ken
Koreader doesn't use DBus at all (thus it is not needed). Though dbus shouldn't take *that* much resources anyway. The others are bigger resource hogs.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #546
Fabry
Enthusiast
Fabry doesn't litterFabry doesn't litter

Device: AuraHD
Rapid test with build 504.

Good:
Landscape mode seems to work now
All three margin settings work properly (with pdf)

No Good:
Rendering errors on text buttons (errors since b.502, 494 was ok) when text is rendered on gray background. Text on highlighted menu buttons is not clear and a bit hard to read.
On CBZ only two levels of margin working, Large has no effect (as before was for pdf)
Koreader seems slower and with more lag (especially with cbz)
Fabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #547
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Rapid test with build 504.

No Good:
Text on highlighted menu buttons is not clear and a bit hard to read.
I agree. It's ugly.

I am as of yet not experiencing additional lag in respect to build 496.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #548
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I agree. It's ugly.

I am as of yet not experiencing additional lag in respect to build 496.
I'm not seeing an performance issues either. Perhaps the script additions from your post are a factor as I have added them to this build's "koreader_kobo.sh", I'm thinking you might have also.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=540

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #549
Markismus
Guru

Yes. I have moved koreader_kobo.sh outside of the koreader directory, so that my changes remain while copying the entire new koreader build.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #550
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Installed Koreader on Kobo Glo 2.8.1, created folder books in root, put there some fb2 and epub books and can not see any of fb2 books in Koreader (epub I see and can open). What I'm doing wrong? Or Koreader just does not read fb2 files?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #551
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Giorgio posts somewhere that the koreader builds are also meant as 1-step-hacks---at least after you have some way of running scripts s.a. filemonitor.

I found it a better practice to rename the old koreader directory to e.g. koreader397 and copy the new koreader next to it.

If you do not want to move dictionaries and OCR-files(dict and tessdata dirs in koreader/data) every time, the koreader_kobo.sh files allows you to define directories separate from the install:
# export trained OCR data directory
export TESSDATA_PREFIX="../_Dict"

# export dict directory
export STARDICT_DATA_DIR="../_Dict/dict"
This would allow you to store the dict and tessdata dirs in a separate, new directory called _Dict in the .kobo directory.

If you do not want to edit the koreader_kobo.sh script every time you rename and copy, than you could move it to the .kobo directory, too. Just remember to tell filemonitor where it is.
excellent, many thanks - i am going to play around with this today :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #552
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Installed Koreader on Kobo Glo 2.8.1, created folder books in root, put there some fb2 and epub books and can not see any of fb2 books in Koreader (epub I see and can open). What I'm doing wrong? Or Koreader just does not read fb2 files?
Add the following line to .../koreader/frontend/document/credocument.lua:

DocumentRegistry:addProvider("fb2", "application/fb2", CreDocument)

Koreader has full fb2 support by crengine, so I don't know why this line is missing by default...

Last edited by Mike76; 09-14-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #553
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mike! Worked like a charm. Actually I found our that if I zip fb2 and modify an extension to .bf2.zip then Koreader opens fb2 file.
Another question - what shall I write and where in order to have screen refresh every page turn?
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #554
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Another question - what shall I write and where in order to have screen refresh every page turn?
In ...koreader/defaults.lua change DRCOUNTMAX = 6 to DRCOUNTMAX = 1.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #555
stasys
Zealot

Mike, amazing!

Next wish - is it possible to have bottom bar risen for few centimeters? - in Kindle I used to turn pages with a finger from the hand holding the reader, with Kobo I need two hands for reading.

And how to put the Kobo Glo to sleep from Koreader?

Last edited by stasys; 09-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.